under protection

How necessary is it to have water protection for the underside? I've camped in rain, but I've never really had problems with it before. I'm planning an AT thru hike and I've been told it's really important to think about.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    You may want to consider a Hammock sock or at least an underquit protector.

These not only help keep your quilt dry in wind blown rain or snow, but add significantly to the warmth.

I use a WB Taveler sock and find I can get by with lighter top and bottom quilts because of the increase in warmth. I can also use a smaller tarp as I don't need as much overhang.
    I have used 30 degree quilts down to 15 degrees(with puffy hooded jacket).

No need for a winter tarp. The sock blocks the wind better. Just need a tarp with enough coverage to stop direct rain and snow.

Although the sock weighs 9 ounces, I was able drop more than that in the weight of my quilts and tarp.

The WB Traveler sock is made for the BlackBird and Traveler, but will also fit longer hammocks if you buy the extenders made by 2QZQ. Or maybe WB makes a longer version?
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Well, lots of folks go with larger tarps now, and if you think about the area they cover, you can completely go without any underside water protection and you'll be just fine. I have an UQ cover, but its mostly for heat retention.

When you're on the AT, most hammock sites will be (duh) around trees and other brush, and therefore, you just don't get much blowing rain. It can happen and you always have the option of pulling your tarp down (I'm always in porch mode no matter the weather - I like to look at it!).

I've used the stock HH tarp and been fine without protection on it, but there are some campsites I've been where puddles and splashing can be an issue. For a stock HH tarp (not the hex), I'd want some protection. Otherwise, most other tarps cover a wide enough area that its not necessary.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts