Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    If you keep having trouble, try posting of video of the fabric jamming. Might help diagnose the problem.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I had the same thing happen on a Singer Athena 2000 I once had. It was only recently I discovered those dogs can be replaced very easily and relatively cheaply returning the machine to good condition. Unfortunately I did not know that when we pretty much junked the machine.
    I was planning on picking up some new parts and fixing it, but I found an older version of the same machine with all metal gears, so it was basically a free trade-up for me.

I missed the part about it being a new machine when I posted earlier today--I was in a rush to get to work. Definitely try some regular thread and do some practice stitching on scrap pieces to get the hang of it. I'm convinced that the heavy gauge thread is jamming up underneath the material--same thing happened to me first time I tried sewing something. My logic was to get the heaviest material and strongest thread I could find. This in turn led to unbelievable frustration as I could barely sew a few inches before everything jammed up.

Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    If you keep having trouble, try posting of video of the fabric jamming. Might help diagnose the problem.
    Good idea. It also occurred to me that I might try moving the machine manually to watch it more closely. Although, I am thinking it might barely "show" the problem as I think it is a problem intensified by speed. I'll be sure to let you all know when I have a chance to test again.

Resolution

Hey all. I thought I would let you know that while I may need a bit more practice before my rolled hem comes out reliably well, my problem has been resolved.

I didn't make it all scientific by getting a big enough needle to handle that monstrous thread I was using to see if it would work or not. I simply bought appropriate sized thread and an appropriately sized needle for the thread.

On that front, buying a little spool of thread at the local shop, the spools don't seem to indicate thread size by any value I've yet learned. I did make a bit of an assumption about it's size.

Thanks to all who replied. Even the insight that didn't directly result in this fix is great information to have.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123