Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

What is "Loss of Comfort" in fabric.

I am looking at the comfort rating of different weights of fabrics. This website
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html shows weight capacity of each fabric. The yellow represents "Loss of Comfort", what does that really mean. Will fabric break in this yellow zone?

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    that means that the fabric will stretch with that given weight, leading to a potential loss of comfort. It wont break or rip, fabrics used are super strong stuff. you can compare this stretch to a soft mattress. less stretch is comparable to a firm mattress.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    A lightweight fabric will stretch under a heavy load.
    This is not necessarily "bad" up to a point. Some folks like a firm mattress and some like a soft mattress. The same goes for hammockers and hammocks.
    However, at some point, the hammock can become so misshapen that your spine, and everything else, gets twisted. But, that point varies due to user preference in what they call "firm."

P.S. Alex beat me to it
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What they said.

And a personal note: I use a DIY 1.4 oz/sq yd single layer and weigh ~200 lbs. I find it very comfortable, despite the fabric being, essentially, 1.1 with a second ripstop grid and some camo print to bring up the weight to 1.4 oz and me being in the "Some Loss of Comfort" zone for 1.1. It stretches just enough to conform to me perfectly. Whereas my Hennessy is 70d (1.9 oz/sq yd, I'm pretty sure) and slightly less comfortable for me due to less give in the fabric (as well as it being slightly shorter, but that's another conversation).

Experiment if you can! Fabric's pretty cheap, and it's only an half-hour's work or so to knock out a basic hammock on the sewing machine once you've got the hang of it. That way, you can get a feel for what thickness fabric you prefer.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    And a personal note: I use a DIY 1.4 oz/sq yd single layer and weigh ~200 lbs. I find it very comfortable, despite the fabric being, essentially, 1.1 with a second ripstop grid and some camo print to bring up the weight to 1.4 oz
    Hope it helps!
    Is this a common fabric? I just made a hammock from bargain bin fabric that weighs 1.4 oz. Comfortable too, and I'm round the same weight.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    Is this a common fabric? I just made a hammock from bargain bin fabric that weighs 1.4 oz. Comfortable too, and I'm round the same weight.
    Not sure if that's a common weight; I've seen it before, if that helps. I picked that fabric 'cause it was woodland camo (I like the print), and it came in under 1.9 oz/sq yd.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Girotogo. Looked at the chart and some of what I've done in the past wouldn't pass. Made a hammock out of polyester suit lining material once at about .75 oz./sy. Thought I had the ultimate in UL hammocks. Didn't fail but scared me every time I tried it at 220 lbs. Used it for other items but did I learn anything. No! I was in Hancocks the other day and found some .77oz./sy ripstop nylon at $1.95 a yd. Looks like another experimental hammock in the works or some fabric for another project. There are many on here that are hanging in tablecloths, some in bedsheets. Don't let the mechanics or mathematics get in the way of just hanging. The first hammock I made was out of sport nylon. Don't know or want to know the weight but it was heavy. Carried that thing for the first few hike and hangs. It now hangs in my bedroom stand and gets used every night. Not sure where it would fall in the chart but it is one of my most valued possesions. I think it's calling me. Goodnight.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Not sure if that's a common weight; I've seen it before, if that helps. I picked that fabric 'cause it was woodland camo (I like the print), and it came in under 1.9 oz/sq yd.
    I'll just go along with the notion that it is this fabric type, I should be a little less nervous sat in it now. Thanks.

• + New Posts