Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock sock in the summer without a bug yet...

Thinking out loud here.

I tend to be the type that wants to either be putting in miles or fishing. Setting up camp and hanging out in my hammock isn't first on my list of priorities.

I keep thinking that my IDEAL setup could shave like 1/4 of a lb of weight by ditching the mosquito netting ...

It can get rather cold at night and during windy situations it might actually make sense to have doors and/or a hammock sock.

So why not just ditch the mosquito mesh, get a hammock sock, and a tarp with doors.

If I have a sock I'm not going to need the mosquito netting because the sock will seal me in... the added weight of the doors+sock are offset by losing the netting.

So all in all I'll actually have a warmer setup with the same level of insect protection.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    Thinking out loud here.

I tend to be the type that wants to either be putting in miles or fishing. Setting up camp and hanging out in my hammock isn't first on my list of priorities.

I keep thinking that my IDEAL setup could shave like 1/4 of a lb of weight by ditching the mosquito netting ...

It can get rather cold at night and during windy situations it might actually make sense to have doors and/or a hammock sock.

So why not just ditch the mosquito mesh, get a hammock sock, and a tarp with doors.

If I have a sock I'm not going to need the mosquito netting because the sock will seal me in... the added weight of the doors+sock are offset by losing the netting.

So all in all I'll actually have a warmer setup with the same level of insect protection.
    Not following where you think weight savings are coming from. Hammock socks are usually used in winter; bugnets in summer. A hammock sock will probably weigh more than a bugnet, so I don't see how you're losing any weight. Not to mention that you want to carry a 4-season tarp in summer which is more added weight. You'll probably have to vent the hammock sock bigtime in summer (come on in, mosquitoes!).

I use an independent bugnet (not integrated into the hammock). That bugnet stays home for most of three seasons - if it's below 50 degrees at night I don't bring it. Why would I replace the bugnet with a sock in summer? Makes no sense to me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    If weight is your biggest concern just use a fishermen head bug net.

Ah... sorry if I didn't clarify. The weight savings will come in:

- I need to pack in a lower temp overquilt as the bug net will bump me up +10 ... so I can shave weight there.

- The doors will protect from wind hitting my tarp which can be a pain and wake me up during the summer. Also, the doors will come in handy in severe weather.

- ditching the bugnet will help offset some of the weight gained by the sock.

- I can keep the top of the sock off if it gets stuffy by using a head net.

Also, in the summer months, I'm usually only in my hammock at night. Which pretty much means zipping it up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Not following where you think weight savings are coming from. Hammock socks are usually used in winter; bugnets in summer. A hammock sock will probably weigh more than a bugnet, so I don't see how you're losing any weight. Not to mention that you want to carry a 4-season tarp in summer which is more added weight. You'll probably have to vent the hammock sock bigtime in summer (come on in, mosquitoes!).

I use an independent bugnet (not integrated into the hammock). That bugnet stays home for most of three seasons - if it's below 50 degrees at night I don't bring it. Why would I replace the bugnet with a sock in summer? Makes no sense to me.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    A net can keep a little heat in by filtering/blocking those cold winds you speak of in SF. A sock blocks it all and keeps in more heat. but it weighs more.
    How about a hammock with a built in net? and a tarp with a 12' ridge line that the ends can fold in to make doors if the winds get cold.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I can keep the top of the sock off if it gets stuffy by using a head net.
    I have not seen a sock that would allow you to "keep the top of the sock off" if it get stuffy.

Warbonnet and Dream Hammocks offer models with a add on winter cover that is removable.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't see any gear in your profile so I can't tell why you think you'll save weight. But no matter which products you compare, I don't think you're going to realize any weight savings. In fact, you'll probably always come out heavier with the system you're suggesting.

Let's take this setup:

Warbonnet Edge Tarp 11.25 oz
    Hammock WBBB 1.7 SL 22 oz
    TQ HG 20* Burrow 17.3 oz
    UQ HG 20* Phoenix 16 oz

Total 66.5 oz.

Now dump the bugnet, go to 40* quilts, add a 4-season tarp with doors and a sock:

Warbonnet Superfly 19 oz
    Hammock WB Traveller 1.7 SL 21 oz
    TQ HG 40* Burrow 11.6 oz
    UQ HG 40* Phoenix 11.7 oz
    Warbonnet Sock 9.5 oz.

Total 72.8 oz.

You could do these comparisons all day but you're never going to get an apples-to-apples comparison, and you're probably never going to save weight by adding a four-season tarp and a sock and subtracting a bugnet. No matter which bugnet you choose, it will always weigh less than a sock.

Sure, you could go with even lighter TQ/UQ like a 50* set, but it still won't weigh less - it will probably weigh about the same.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have not seen a sock that would allow you to "keep the top of the sock off" if it get stuffy.

Warbonnet and Dream Hammocks offer models with a add on winter cover that is removable.
    AH! That's true. I had forgotten that.

In this situation I wouldn't need a full sock. I could just get the winter cover and then an under quilt protector to help with the wind.

I think you're right that I *may* initially *seem* like I'm heavier.

but I think it's a false economy to shave some of these things. adding +10F for 200-350g I think is a fair tradeoff.

For example, In your hypothetical (thanks for posting that btw... good data) we're talking a difference of 6.3oz (0.4lbs) or 178g.

So yes. You're right. It's more weight.

However, you gain some big wins here.

In severe weather, you're going to be just fine. If you have tons of rain, snow, wind, having doors is going to really save you and your gear and make you feel nice and safe and secure.

You're also not going to have issues with a sudden gust of wind shooting up the hill and waking you up by stripping the cold from your under quilt. This happens somewhat often for me. At least 1-2x every other night. I don't know about you but a good night sleep makes the next day worth it. Now granted... I have something called sleep inertia insomnia which basically means if I wake up I have difficulty getting to sleep.

I'm actually going through and adding a bit more weight this years to give me some more flexibility and safety in my gear.

I've been caught in a few really bad storms in the last few years and having the ability to be nice and safe and secure the next time is going to be worth it for the slight extra weight penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't see any gear in your profile so I can't tell why you think you'll save weight. But no matter which products you compare, I don't think you're going to realize any weight savings. In fact, you'll probably always come out heavier with the system you're suggesting.

Let's take this setup:

Warbonnet Edge Tarp 11.25 oz
    Hammock WBBB 1.7 SL 22 oz
    TQ HG 20* Burrow 17.3 oz
    UQ HG 20* Phoenix 16 oz

Total 66.5 oz.

Now dump the bugnet, go to 40* quilts, add a 4-season tarp with doors and a sock:

Warbonnet Superfly 19 oz
    Hammock WB Traveller 1.7 SL 21 oz
    TQ HG 40* Burrow 11.6 oz
    UQ HG 40* Phoenix 11.7 oz
    Warbonnet Sock 9.5 oz.

Total 72.8 oz.

You could do these comparisons all day but you're never going to get an apples-to-apples comparison, and you're probably never going to save weight by adding a four-season tarp and a sock and subtracting a bugnet. No matter which bugnet you choose, it will always weigh less than a sock.

Sure, you could go with even lighter TQ/UQ like a 50* set, but it still won't weigh less - it will probably weigh about the same.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Can you tell us what your gear is so we may have a better understanding of your issue please?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast