Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going to buy one soon...

I do have a couple of questions.

Does anyone know the actual weight limit of the BB? I'm close to 240lbs and I was hoping the 1.7 double will be able to hold my weight.

Also has anyone tried using snakeskins with it instead of the provided stuff sack? Can one use the snakeskins with whatever tarp you have as well?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    I am just a little heavier than you and have the 1.7 double. It will work for you very well.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I'm nearly 300lbs and my double layer 1.7 WBBB is plenty strong. I'm very pleased with my purchase.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm close to your weight and have a double 1.7; no worries.
    To make you feel even better about it, my WB Traveler is just a single layer of 1.7 and again, no problems whatsoever.

Not a fan of snakeskins, so I can't comment on that part.
    Trust nobody!

Excellent to know. Thanks.

Can you pack the fly into the stuff sack or does it need to be packed seperatly. I was thinking of getting the MacCat fly. I noticed Canibal has one as well.

I like the idea of the snakeskin of keeping everything in one back. As far as I've researched, the HH's can do that I believe.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrick View Post
    Can you pack the fly into the stuff sack or does it need to be packed seperatly.
    I'd recommend packing it separately. Tarps get wet -- you don't want to mix it with your dry hammock (especially on multi-night trips).

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You could probably talk Brandon into making you an oversized stuff sack, or just make one yourself; very easy. But, something to consider is the rain. Do you really want your wet tarp packed in the same bag as your hammock? Another reason I keep my tarps separate is the occasional desire to just set-up a tarp to wait out a storm. If the tarp is separate (and accessible) you don't need to completely open your pack when it's raining to get to your tarp. Snake skins for a separate tarp will do the same thing for you, but I like to leave as much surface open to the air as possible. It still doesn't allow the tarp to dry completely, but something is better than nothing.

Just some thoughts for you to chew on for a while.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I second Cannibal's idea of keeping the tarp in a separate sack. Even in no-rain conditions, the tarp is likely to be wet from morning dew condensation. I pack my tarp (OES MacCat Deluxe) in the stuff sack that came with it from the maker.

If you want to use snake skins, you could perhaps use a set (bug netting) for the hammock and another for the tarp (silnylon for the often-wet tarp).
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Nope, you guys made perfect sense. I didn't really think about the rain or dew. Especially since it's been nothing but rain here all summer long.

Keeping the fly separate.

Sorry for all the noob questions, but what pad do you all prefer? I was originally thinking of going with a bigagnes bag that has the built-in bottom for a pad but since I'll be getting the double bottom, I'm back to choosing the appropriate bag and pad.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrick View Post
    Sorry for all the noob questions, but what pad do you all prefer? I was originally thinking of going with a bigagnes bag that has the built-in bottom for a pad but since I'll be getting the double bottom, I'm back to choosing the appropriate bag and pad.
    Can't help you there. I started with pads because they are less expensive that underquilts, but that also meant staying away from the more expensive pads. Only experience I have with pads are the Walmart blue ccf pads and the Gossamer Gear pads. I had some Thermarests back in my groundling days, but those went away with the tents.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast