Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    There are also a few options for indoor hanging, check Ramlinrev's video on the stand he built.
    Thanks gargoyle.. but to be fair.. I don't think that stand kit is available any more. I haven't checked the vendor's site for it.. but I am quite sure that was a closeout get rid of the stock clearance. I wonder if they knew what prompted the run on the orders... hehehe. Or maybe I'm just claiming too much credit.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hi Sophie... It sounds like you're getting better at the idea of the hammock setup and also realizing the benefits of using it. Looking forward to your next report.

The BB material is 1.1 nylon (not the 1.3 waterproof silnylon variety due to the 0.2oz of waterproofing silicone added to the surface during manufacturing). You might add that the ridgeline is actual structural since it keeps the hammock at the perfect tension once it is weight bearing.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 08-05-2009 at 16:56.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That was an excellent report Sophie.

I started my hammock career in Florida and I know what you mean about the trees. Being inland helps a lot, but the beaches can be tough to find a good hang. There is a good side, when a storm really kicks-up and the wind gets to blowing those trees around, you get a free amusement park ride.

I don't like bugnetting for the same reason you mentioned; the reflection of light. Still, there is a simple solution. Just put your light up against the netting. This doesn't give it the chance to reflect and all (most of it anyway) of the light goes out...where you want it. I don't even think about it anymore, just grab my light and shove it against the netting. Works great.

It may seem counter intuitive, but try hanging it one night with your feet a couple of inches higher than your head. I read in your report that you were always able to get your feet a little lower. There are a few folks that prefer that style of hang, but with your feet a little higher gravity works better for you. Since your torso is the heaviest part of you, if it's higher gravity wants to push it down. If it is already the low point, gravity is kept satisfied and won't work against you. It results in a more comfortable lay, for me anyway. Give it a try and see what you think. Don't get crazy, just a couple of inches higher.
    The kind folks at hammockforums.net read my report and emailed me to put me straight. I'm kinda nervous knowing that they will be reading this bit to tell you the truth!
    Never worry about that. This is one of the friendliest forums you'll ever find. Heck, we even let Ewker talk about his tents occasionally.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Insulation
    Thermorest
    Thanks guys, I will try out the knot and the different sleeping position soon. My next camping trip is going to be in those pavilions that have netting, light and a fan (I know, it's not real camping, but sometimes it's nice, especially in 95 F heat)! Has anyone tried using a hammock in them and had any bright ideas? Last time I stole eye hooks from the hanging sign outside (replaced them after of course) but if there aren't any this time I'm a bit worried. The posts are flat against the screen so that's out. The little tables in the corners are about the only other option...

BTW, I would definitely not choose to use the hammock on the ground on the beach, but sadly the only trees were the other side of a body of water

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Can you take eyehooks with you? Or if you will have access to something that can be used as a hammer, take a few (at least 4) large nails and drive them into the post at right angles to where you'll be hanging off of them.

Post---\/
    nail---[_]--- nail
    Strap \_/
    /rope ||

sort of looks like that... Autoformat is messing up the alignment a bit.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB 11'x10' Spinn
    Insulation
    HSSniv MtWash3
    Suspension
    webbing Dutch clip
    Change font to Courier New for fixed width formatting. I couldn't figure out the diagram or I would have done it for you.
    ..Mike the Weed Warrior bio // Think globally, act locally: Remove an invasive plant

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Alright, rather than try and fiddle more with the spacing and fonts (thanks for the heads up though miksmi) I dusted off an old version of MS Paint in the hopes that it will yield slightly better results. Unfortunately my artistic abilities, or rather lack thereof, may have let me down here.

Using a pair of good, strong 3 or 4" nails pounded into the post so that about 1" of the head remains exposed to tie off to should be strong enough for most people to hang a hammock off of. That is assuming you have something vaguely hammerish to pound them in with, and you don't mind putting 2 holes in said wooden post. Anyway, just a thought since Sophie said she couldn't wrap a strap around the posts in question.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456