Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What have I gotten myself into...

Well, I don't even have a hammock yet... but I do have about 8 yards of rip stop nylon and half an idea for a tarp. If anybody has any hints tips and tricks, please let me know. Also, cat cuts? Size? Tie outs? Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    First, your ripstop doesn't appear to be coated. Can you suck air through it when you hold it up to your face?

No. It's not coated. I've seen a few videos for doing it. I plan to try. Basically silicone and a dilutent. Mineral oil or something? I've seen gasoline used but am apprehensive of that.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
    ...If anybody has any hints tips and tricks, please let me know. Also, cat cuts? Size? Tie outs? Any help is appreciated.
    http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/tarps/

Quote Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
    ...Basically silicone and a dilutent. Mineral oil or something? I've seen gasoline used but am apprehensive of that.
    Odorless Mineral SPIRITS. Do not use mineral oil or (heaven forbid)
    gasoline.

Thank you, I actually saw that DIY gear supply this morning thanks to another members post about his winter tarp, now I'm kinda upset I only have 8yds of fabric. And thank you, mineral spirits. Probably a good thing you said it. I knew it was mineral something.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Talking

Practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice

and more practice .

This was one of the videos that really helped me with DIY silnylong

This is one of my playlists that shows different parts of making a tarp.

As others have said. DIY Gear Supply has GREAT templates for making tarps and other items.

Here are some other links that may provide some useful information.

http://www.cwhammocks.com/panel-pulls/

http://www.cwhammocks.com/cutting-ca...ves-on-a-tarp/

One thing to keep in mind... It is super important to TEST your tarp prior to going out in the field with it. You don't want to be in a deep sleep and have your tarp take a leak on you

The hardest part of making a tarp that I've found is making sure you are not standing or sitting on the material that you are trying to run through the sewing machine.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Maybe you should use the cloth you have for a hammock (since its untreated) and buy some sil 2nds from diy gear supply for your tarp? (or ripstop by the roll) Might be easier and have better results!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Maybe you should use the cloth you have for a hammock (since its untreated) and buy some sil 2nds from diy gear supply for your tarp? (or ripstop by the roll) Might be easier and have better results!
    Thanks, but I have a warbonnet blackbird on its way (or it should be soon) so I'd rather just go ahead and make the tarp, I'm still trying to figure out a few things before I start cutting and stitching; with my 8 yds I could make approximately a 12'x10' rectangle, take a little off for seams. But I like the DIY winter tarp idea, just don't know how it would work if I shorten everything.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The DIY Gear plans works fine for the 10x12. You only have to adjust your cat cuts and tie out measurements on a percentage basis. I made several without the cat cuts and they work well.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    if you feel AMBITIOUS you can try cat cuts! otherwise, several tie outs (like 16+) can help pitch a rectangle tarp really well. I find a basic 11'x10' tarp with 16 tie outs to be very versatile and pretty easy to make. I space the tie outs very symmetrically. start with the 4 corners, then 4 middles, then the 8 middles between those. with that configuration, doors are a possibility and either ridge length will cover that WBBB nicely. Be sure to sew the ridge seam first! THEN hem.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast