Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    13x10camo, SuprFly
    Insulation
    Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing,biners,RL
    Your gear can only get so small. I have sl 1.7 wbbb and can't see anything being smaller than that and being comfortable. Some of the other stuff can get smaller like tarp, clothing, cooking gear etc. But I think your doing as best you can with the hammock you have.

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    That's all you carry?!?!?! Haha! Well, your load is much smaller, and lighter than mine.(I like to carry EVERYTHING!) I'd say, if you're really that worried about size, and weight, I'd get a single layer hammock, something that isn't too big. Also, like many others have already said, I would have a separate bug net. But I would love to have a rig as small, and light as yours. Nice setup.
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    Your gear can only get so small. I have sl 1.7 wbbb and can't see anything being smaller than that and being comfortable. Some of the other stuff can get smaller like tarp, clothing, cooking gear etc. But I think your doing as best you can with the hammock you have.
    I used a small OEM Hennessey Hammock tarp before i began using an UQ. It rains often over here (monsoon rains) and was paranoid about having the down UQ exposed to rain so went with the WB Edge tarp. However is it possible to go with a standard HH original tarp and still run down UQ without getting wet???? Most of the rains don't come in from the side since I'm usually under a jungle canopy that blocks wind pretty good, however i always fear the worst, haha.

For clothing I only carry 1 pair of traveler pants, couple T shirts, thermal top and bottoms, and two pair of undies and socks. This I can travel with indefinitely. Not a whole lot I can trim off as I need to wash things every few days. If I'm wrong here please educate me.

All my food is ready to eat (dried meat and fruit) so no cooking gear nor utensils.

Thanks for the opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a hammock lover View Post
    That's all you carry?!?!?! Haha! Well, your load is much smaller, and lighter than mine.(I like to carry EVERYTHING!) I'd say, if you're really that worried about size, and weight, I'd get a single layer hammock, something that isn't too big. Also, like many others have already said, I would have a separate bug net. But I would love to have a rig as small, and light as yours. Nice setup.

Since I always use a bug-net due to the mozzies over here carry dengue fever and malaria I chose hammocks with them integrated. I also assumed an integrated bug net was a smaller amount of material than a separate mug net. Let me know if I'm wrong please.

I've looked but can't find any other lightweight SL hammocks w/bugnet integrated other than the HH Hyperlight. Can others let me know if I'm overlooking any? I'm a small gent at 5'6" and 145 pounds so I was thinking I could make do with a small hammock if it had a integrated bugnet.

If I went to a small hammock, Grand trunk UL, Etc. and since I need a bugnet would i really be saving that much space weight/space going from something like a HH Hyperlight to another small hammock with a complete separate bugnet?

How much more uncomfortable is it for a slight built gent mike me to sleep in a non asym hammock?

What are the smaller hammocks that people really rate highly?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    All Purpose
    Insulation
    UG Zepplin 20
    Suspension
    DIY Straps&Whoopie
    I am impressed with how little stuff you carry motocamping, I always end up with way too much gear, and that becomes a packing nightmare (not to mention the gear weight doing bad things to the bike handling).
    Next trip I shall be going super minimalist (winter mode so will still be more than you carry)

Any tips on gear? My setup can be seen here http://pics.pixelle.co.nz/Home/album...4676013851793?
    I already have plans to minimise my suspension with some DIY whoopie slings and descending rings.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like you're really sold on asym hammocks and integrated bugnets - and I don't like either. Some say an asym hammock provides a flatter lay, but I certainly haven't noticed it. I'm not sure what other benefits are purported for an asym hammock.

As for integrated bugnets, I avoid them like the plague. If I hear a critter I like to get out of my hammock quickly, not fumble for a zipper in the dark. I also seem to get bit more by mosquitoes in hammocks with integrated bugnets, especially on the hands and arms - I'll wake up and find my arm laying against the bugnet and it'll be covered in bites.

Right now, I'm using a BIAS Nanobuginator bottom entry bugnet - 7.7 ounces, and along with a BIAS Hiker Lite hammock - nine ounces. That would be about half the weight and bulk of your WBBB.

You might want to check out Dream Hammock. PapaSmurf has a hammock calculator that lets you see the weight of the various hammocks, most of which are asym with integrated bugnets.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/HammockCalculator.html

Since you're a shorter guy, he could probably make you a 9 ft asym hammock with integrated bugnet - save some weight there.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    All Purpose
    Insulation
    UG Zepplin 20
    Suspension
    DIY Straps&Whoopie
    I notice in your gear you have 2x tubes (I assume the red IRC bags are tubes).
    I only carry a 21 inch tube as this can be used on both front and rear(short term), one less thing to carry.

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    Check out simply light designs. The streamliner is awesome. Packs very small. Super light and Jared has started making the with a bugnet. 9 ft is what I got. Or you could diy.

Quote Originally Posted by zealander View Post
    I am impressed with how little stuff you carry motocamping, I always end up with way too much gear, and that becomes a packing nightmare (not to mention the gear weight doing bad things to the bike handling).
    Next trip I shall be going super minimalist (winter mode so will still be more than you carry)

Any tips on gear? My setup can be seen here http://pics.pixelle.co.nz/Home/album...4676013851793?
    I already have plans to minimize my suspension with some DIY whoopie slings and descending rings.
    Great to see other gents on dirt bikes getting away and camping. Your pics look great!!

I found for me minimizing has a lot to do with mindset. First of all I had to be comfortable with not bringing a lot of things that I used to view as needed. I personally could pick out a few items from your list that I would trim off, however that's from my perspective and what's fine with me may not be fine with you. Case in point. The fire extinguisher. If a situation gets out of control and a fire is created it's an invaluable tool. My query would be what is the likelihood of needing the item? I've never in my 35 years of bike riding had a bike catch fire that I could not extinguish with smothering or dirt. If in your riding group many people light their bikes on fire for some reason or neglect a campfire and it gets out of control then you'll have a differnet perspective on the tool. Does this make sense?

So first look at you gear I would be not packing (for my riding/conditions/situation):

Fire Extinguisher: reasons noted above
    Trowel : I can dig a hole with my hand/boots/screwdriver/6 inch extension, etc. to crap in and fill it later without needing a specific tool.
    Plate: I would eat out of the cooking pot
    Camp knife: for me the knife on my leatherman has been all I've needed for blades
    shoes: if you already have Teva's no need for two pair of camp shoes.
    Lantern: I use a headlamp as it's smaller and throws a good beam of light, though not as nice a mood setter as the lantern.

Now keep in mind that's what I would do which by no means is what would work for you. You may have specific reasons for packing the items I would delete. No harm done as there's no one correct way of packing, haha.

You're also off to great start by utilizing Whoopie sling for a suspension.

Best of luck with your riding and hope to see more updates from you.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sounds like you're really sold on asym hammocks and integrated bugnets - and I don't like either. Some say an asym hammock provides a flatter lay, but I certainly haven't noticed it. I'm not sure what other benefits are purported for an asym hammock.

As for integrated bugnets, I avoid them like the plague. If I hear a critter I like to get out of my hammock quickly, not fumble for a zipper in the dark. I also seem to get bit more by mosquitoes in hammocks with integrated bugnets, especially on the hands and arms - I'll wake up and find my arm laying against the bugnet and it'll be covered in bites.

Right now, I'm using a BIAS Nanobuginator bottom entry bugnet - 7.7 ounces, and along with a BIAS Hiker Lite hammock - nine ounces. That would be about half the weight and bulk of your WBBB.

You might want to check out Dream Hammock. PapaSmurf has a hammock calculator that lets you see the weight of the various hammocks, most of which are asym with integrated bugnets.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/HammockCalculator.html

Since you're a shorter guy, he could probably make you a 9 ft asym hammock with integrated bugnet - save some weight there.

Thanks heaps for the tips.

The Asym hammocks made sense to me in my pea brain noggin. If I can be assured I could sleep just as well in a non-asym I'd have no issues. Sadly I've only owned a HH and WBBB both Asyms so don't have a great database of experience to choose from. The GT Nano 7 felt awkward to lay in for me though.

Thanks for the hints I'm beginning a conversation with Papasmurf now on your recommendation

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast