Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Winter Question

Greetings:

Recently I have begun eyeballing 4-season hammocks as a means of cutting down on the load I usually carry on low-temperature trips. After doing some reading on this forum it sounds like it may be more complicated than just buying a hammock, but the learning curve also sounds very intriguing.

However, my question is this:

Currently I have a -40F Down/Synthetic mummy bag and a self-inflating 25" x 76" pad. If I put this outfit into a Clark NX-250 with no underquilt, no accessories and a few things in the pockets, what are the chances of success at 0 degrees F?

Probably the thing to do is buy one and find out, but these things are not cheap so any speculative comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

Is the pad insulated?

And I gotta ask: A down AND synthetic bag?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff355 View Post
    Greetings:

Recently I have begun eyeballing 4-season hammocks as a means of cutting down on the load I usually carry on low-temperature trips. After doing some reading on this forum it sounds like it may be more complicated than just buying a hammock, but the learning curve also sounds very intriguing.

However, my question is this:

Currently I have a -40F Down/Synthetic mummy bag and a self-inflating 25" x 76" pad. If I put this outfit into a Clark NX-250 with no underquilt, no accessories and a few things in the pockets, what are the chances of success at 0 degrees F?

Probably the thing to do is buy one and find out, but these things are not cheap so any speculative comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    I have no expirence with the Clark pockets, but here is my take...
    your -40 bag will keep you warm on top...the inflatable pad will not be enough under you. You will probably to supplement with an additional CCF pad or under quilt...
    0*F can be done, has been done by many on this site (I've gotten to 4*F)...it all depends on your needs and $$
    Good Luck!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Other people will have plenty to add to this thread, but I'll get the ball rolling. Does the inflatable pad have any kind of fill insulation in it? Generally, air-filled pads aren't as effective as closed-cell foam pads at keeping your backside warm in a hammock. On the other hand, that's a heckuva warm bag, perhaps even when compressed. On the other other hand, 0 is cold for some of us!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff355 View Post
    Not to be snide... but define success... Toasty warm all night... Depending on the rest of the sleep system (clothes etc) it's probably been done but might be marginal mostly because of the width of the pad and maybe the thickness of the pad.

Avoid hospitalization with severe hypothermia... probably a pretty good chance of success although it might not be the best night's sleep you ever had. The deployed weathershield should help retain some heat in the hammock.

It's been done and folks have lived to tell about it. In terms of the Clark perse... I'll let someone familiar with that hammock get more specific.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Is the pad insulated?

And I gotta ask: A down AND synthetic bag?
    This is Cabelas "Alaskan Guide" stuff and pretty interesting. The bag is like a down quilt zipped over a synthetic-filled "canoe" bottom and very long/wide. @6' 3" I feel like a little kid in it. So far, on the ground at 25F I haven't had to zip it all the way shut.

The pad reminds me of a self-inflating Thermarest pad I had in the 80's. When a valve on the end is opened it sucks in air and puffs up to about 2", but is 3/4" - 1" thick without air. So, it is "insulated" to some extent. However, I also have a closed cell pad about 1/2" thick available.

I'm just getting tired of all the set-up & take-down time associated with tents, not to mention snow on the ground. Either you pack it down or shovel it, and it seems to me hanging over it would be a better alternative.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & TriGlides
    Images
    I have been out well below 0F in my Clark using a pad and a laminated space blanket. I concur about using a CCF pad being warmer than an inflatable pad. I will also give you my vote for ditching the pads and buying an underquilt. Your sleeping bags sounds more than sufficient to keep the top half of you warm.
    Todd K. Miller

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    don't forget that the clark has those pockets there for a reason... and the new ones have extra velcro that I'm hearing will have a small uq that will attach to the underside of the hammock where there's no pockets.

• + New Posts