Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images

MO Hang 7 - Hawn State Park

Figured I would get this report started, I know digitizer has the pictures to add.

Big thanks to Disco, Gideon, Digitizer & his son for attending.

I headed in Friday night, did a short hike along Pickle Creek trail and stealth camped just off-trail. Had time to set-up, make some tea and enjoy a few chapters of a good book. The silence was so profound being out there that I started hearing things! It was truly exqusitie being so alone without any wind, birds or bugs.

Saturday morning came and with it brought a cheerful small group of guys ready to break trail and get the trip started the same way it ended, with high spirits.

Introductions and reuniting of companions lead to conversation catching each other up on life and topics of the sort. I let the four fresh faces lead way while I hung back a tad and enjoyed the vibes of their presence.

Reaching the trailhead we felt special for being the only tracks on the north loop. Breaking trail gave us a solid sense of serenity until we saw other hikers later on.

It was a short hike to campsite, everyone got organized and set-up for lunch. Right as we get a fire started we realize its way too early to be sitting around so we did a 4.4 mile stretch around White Oaks. With about an hour of daylight left out comes the headlamps, cook kits and deep conversation. Four about 4 more hours we induldge in camraderie and firelit logs.

Morning springs and I'm first awake. I go over to the firepit, see hardly any coals and decide another hour or so in my hammock seems much more appealing. I climb back into heavenly warmth and enjoy audible bird watching. I depict 6 different calls with many wood peckers all around camp. (Looking through cuben fiber into tall trees is a great way to wake up!)

Opting out of finishing the north loop I'm the first to head out of camp. I say my good-byes and enjoy an enlightening conversation with Gideon upon my exit. With Digitizer & his son cooking breakfast, Disco enjoying the fire and Gideon breaking down his Darien UL I disappear into the woods completely refreshed and ready for another work week!

Note: I made the grave msitake of grabbing my trailrunners and heading out without thinking about snow covering the trails. My feet were wet at all times except right before I climbed into the hammock. This kept me pretty grounded, if I wasn't in the hammock, I was next to the fire and if neither were an option I was moving around to avoid my feet turning into ice cubes! A huge mistake not bringing boots, but didn't take anything away from the trip!

Although it wasn't exactly my first HF Hang, it was my first hang where I found the group, and shared their company

Great group of guys to hike with and be around. Good conversation, tastey fire-side cigars and many tips & tricks about the ham-mock side of life.

Looking forward to the pictures Digitizer!

Cheers
    Translate Earth
    Create moments to let Earth teach
    Earth Avatar in training

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Brown is right it was a good hike; simple and a place I've gone to many times but like any other hike, it was good because of who I got to share it with. Hadn't seen digitizer in forever; great to see him and it was especially nice to meet his son! That boy can hike! Carrying every bit as much as his father...like father like...well you get it.

Small group but I always enjoy seeing the familar faces and new ones; A real pleasure to meet you Brown; you restore some of my faith in the next generation and thanks for not showing up the old guy on the trail; I think you were probably going as low as you're able!

I think we followed your trail out; recognized the tracks of a trail runner going along the Pickle Creek trail.

As for a trip report, mine won't be as eloquent as Brown's; my gear is dialed in so it was about perfect; maybe just something to cover the nose/lower face from the wind but really didn't even need that because of how still (and quiet) the woods were. Again, a simple trip; but it broke the day to day grind some of us have been caught up in for too long.

Lost a nice Candiru knife and sheeth out there so a lesson learned; tie 8" of bright yellow or orange cord on items like that; probably could have found it if I had. Still gained enough out of the hike just by being out there with old and "new" friends that the loss of a knife is nothing.

Motto; go when you can with whom you can.

Only thing missing from the whole trip? Hairbear!!

Sorry you other guys didn't make it; perhaps next time, it would be good to see you!

Gideon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gideon; 02-09-2014 at 21:55.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had a great time! Awesome scenery, awesome people to share it with. It was a much-needed weekend in the woods for me. It was great to have a nice relaxing walk in the woods with lots of campfire and hammock time.
    Thank you guys so much for making it out! I'll get to planning the next one asap!
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images
    Taum Sauk?
    Translate Earth
    Create moments to let Earth teach
    Earth Avatar in training

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Sorry we missed out meeting up with you guys. Hoot and I both got a late start, and spent a night a couple of hours out from Hawn. We had a good time together, but both of us had some equipment issues and ended up calling it after Friday night.

Hopefully I will get a chance to meet up with you guys sometime!

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    sorry I missed this one-
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I really am glade I got to get out and enjoy a winter hike again this year I truly look forward to hanging in the snow. It had been a long time since I had been out in the woods I had missed two trail hikes do to an injury, so this meant a lot to me. What made it even more special for me was that I was able to convince my son to come along for his first official hammock hang. (He still counts the on in the back yard as his first).

It was awesome to see everyone again I hope to be able to do more hikes this year then last year so I am sure we will have more opportunities to hike together again. My son really enjoyed the hike and said he would definitely do it again.

The hiking in the snow is always a challenge for me I tend to have very cold feet and it seam to be much more of a work out on the balls of my feet. I will say that I am sore today. I guess that is what comes from being out of the woods for almost 6 months.

Hoot and Owl I will keep an eye out for a KC hang and try to make it out that way if I can. Sure missed seeing you on the trail Hoot and would love to get a chance to hike with you Owl.

Brown4914(Skymonkey) next time we are going to see you climb one of those giant vines. I didn't bring the camera just to get a video of myself almost falling in a creek you know!

Gideon as always it was very enjoyable to be able to hike and enjoy your fellowship. Be sure to let Pyro know that we missed him and look forward to seeing him at the next hang.

Disco thanks again for planning the hang. I have to say that you have done wonderful at picking some great places to hang. I always look forward to seeing what you come up with next and am only disappointed when I am unable to make the hang. It is a joy to hang with you and I hope that there will be many more to come in the future.

--Camera pictures or going to have to wait until this evening I was wore out last night and just vegged out once I got home.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by digitizer101 View Post
    Hoot and Owl I will keep an eye out for a KC hang and try to make it out that way if I can. Sure missed seeing you on the trail Hoot and would love to get a chance to hike with you Owl.
    Got one coming up in a month!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=87405

Would love to see you there!

• + New Posts