DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    You might want to consult with a lawyer on this. Would hiking the trail be considered living separate and apart from your parents? Seems like it could.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    Started my blogg! Read all about it in my sig line. Please let me know what you guys think!
    Blogger is not an ideal platform for blogging...I strongly suggest using either WordPress or Tumblr (I have a website on WordPress and one using Squarespace)...I used Blogger for the first five years or so of my blog...it's just really clunky and not very easy to customize. I know it is the one everyone goes to and then usually regrets if they want to upgrade later. I am one of those people. You are relatively new at this...it wouldn't be hard to change platforms...just a suggestion. Either way, loved the picks of Gales Creek area. Still need to do some exploring out there. I've done a little over half of the Wilson River Trail...
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by renegadepilgrim View Post
    Blogger is not an ideal platform for blogging...I strongly suggest using either WordPress or Tumblr (I have a website on WordPress and one using Squarespace)...I used Blogger for the first five years or so of my blog...it's just really clunky and not very easy to customize. I know it is the one everyone goes to and then usually regrets if they want to upgrade later. I am one of those people. You are relatively new at this...it wouldn't be hard to change platforms...just a suggestion. Either way, loved the picks of Gales Creek area. Still need to do some exploring out there. I've done a little over half of the Wilson River Trail...
    yeah i may move it in a while, but its okay for now. i think i'll do the wilson river trail for my first solo. i did a day hike from kings mt. trailhead - keenig cr. so i may just wait till the CG. is open and hike to the end and camp.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    You can camp at any of the CGs even if they're not "open". I did it last year around this time.
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    Read the book "Do Hard Things" and then let your parents read it. Then all of you will have documentation that you are capable. =)

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A major truth of growing up: you will always be capable of more than anyone who knows you currently thinks you are. Why? Because they always knew a younger version of you, so you'll always be a step ahead of them.

Teens your age have done all kinds of amazing things. Several have solo circumnavigated the globe by sailboat, like this Dutch teen, Laura Dekker, who turned 16 on her voyage:
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...avigates-globe

Solo ocean crossing is far more dangerous than through-hiking a popular trail.

If you believe you have the capacity to through-hike at 15, chances are you do! There is no reason that I can think of that you wouldn't be as capable at 15 as you would at 18, provided you prepare properly and have adequate support (like your parents.)

The concerns about receiving medical care are unfounded. You can receive treatment for emergencies, and you can cary documentation that gives permission from your parents, as well as all of your health information, contact information, etc on a wallet sized card (and more detailed documents) on a thumb drive.

Provided you have the support of your parents, I totally believe in your capacity to make this experience happen at least as safely as an 18-year-old just a few years your senior (who is legally an adult but who doesn't really have much more independent life experience than you do.) Any young person is likely to take risks that us older adults probably would not, but I'm going to guess that someone who is dreaming and scheming a trip like this is probably learning as much as they can, reading a lot of stories, and learning from the mistakes of others.

I will follow your blog with interest! I hope you make it! Good luck!

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    The book I referenced above talks about examples of just the types of things Playapixie is mentioning. I suspect that as you and your parent(s) read the book, you will recognize that you are one of those who takes responsibility and moves into capability more like previous generations did than today's generations do. It was written by 17 yo twins who discovered it in their own lives then researched it and also have much going on to support like young folks who are do-ers. I would really be interested to hear how you work this out, and, as you do, I think it will positively affect every area of your life, to your pleasure and that of your family who will also benefit by your accomplishments (as I'm sure they already are). Pardon me, I'm a grandma who thinks the kindest thing you can do for people is to have positive expectations for them. This book may give you some ideas but it will certainly give you ammo. They also have a website or two if you would rather go that route.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345