DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra

Outstanding Service from REI

I have a local outfitter I like to give my business. I also have an REI I like to visit. The truth is I've probably given more money to REI than my local outfitter. Anyway, here's today's story.

It starts last Spring. For whatever reasons, I was at REI looking to get my son and me a backpack for the first time since I was a scout. I was there quite a while and came home with an Osprey Kestrel 48 and an Osprey Talon 44. Over last year we used the bags around 6 times for overnight trips. I was pretty proud of the bags when I brought them home, but never felt good about them when actually packing and carrying them on the trail. I've gotten a little better each time, but never really happy.

This weekend I went out again. And again I had trouble packing. The big problem is a 5.5 lb behemoth sleeping bag. It took my 13 yro and I and inordinate amount of time to pack up. All the straps and zippers and pockets seemed more like gee-whizz than functional.

I'd finally had enough and resolved to visit REI again about the bags. They have this 100% satisfaction guarantee. I'd never really tested it, but I'd read some neat stories. Their new policy is returns up to a year given the gear is in good shape (being subjective to the manager).

I still had both packs in the back of my car packed from this weekend. What I wanted to do was bring them in and find a new pack. Then pack my stuff in it and see how it fits. The manager actually said ok to this plan. Although, he was a little frustrated I'd waited almost a full year to return the packs. I told him I wasn't sure if it was just too much gear or my inexperience packing or what. It was just this last trip that convinced me to upgrade.

So "the guy" in camping was showing me bigger packs and such. When he saw all my gear (especially the monster sleeping bag), he told me my packs were fine and appropriately sized for the kinds of trips I was making. He suggested replacing the sleeping bag rather than the pack. Of course, this is the right move. I have no business carrying a 5.5 pound sleeping bag. The problem is that lighter bags are quite expensive. What I really want is a down top quilt. The problem as always is cash.

So he says he thinks he can pack my pack with my stuff. After seeing my gear all spread out on the floor, he guided me through how to pack it. It turns out, with one more compression sack I was able to fit everything beautifully! I haven't felt this good about my pack since the day I bought it. Oh, and this whole thing wrapped up about 20 minutes after closing. The moral of the story is that I'm almost always pleased with the service I receive from REI.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    I am glad you had a good story. I was actually going to start a REI disappointment post this morning.
    Basically I have been going there 10 years because they use to sell the best assortment of high quality equipment. I have noticed the store in my area is now catering to the yuppie crowd and losing the small companies that use to make them a good place to shop.
    I was there the other day buying shock cord and the guy who cut the cord was too busy to check me out (he was on his phone) and had me go wait in the 10 person line up front. When I get up front I tell the guy that I have been disappointed in the customer care and products lately. He tells me don't worry they hired a new CEO. I get home to find out Ya a new CEO,,,one that was the head of "Coach" as in the prissy hand bags. I go to REIs site and they are basically bragging about how much then paid for him and I think great money to some purse ******* to bring REI more away from the outdoor store I loved.
    Again glad you had a good experience.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsx-rboy750 View Post
    Basically I have been going there 10 years because they use to sell the best assortment of high quality equipment. I have noticed the store in my area is now catering to the yuppie crowd ...
    Seems inevitable. Has happened to Lands End, L.L.Bean, and all the companies that used to carry mostly outdoor gear, and now carry mostly fashionable clothing. Sigh. IMHO, they can successfully do one or the other, but not both, at least any that I have seen.

Still, REI has held the line more than the rest (exception Campmor?) and I still think they're great, though now more "by comparison" than in the absolute.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Seems inevitable. Has happened to Lands End, L.L.Bean, and all the companies that used to carry mostly outdoor gear, and now carry mostly fashionable clothing. Sigh. IMHO, they can successfully do one or the other, but not both, at least any that I have seen.

Still, REI has held the line more than the rest (exception Campmor?) and I still think they're great, though now more "by comparison" than in the absolute.

Rain Man

Maybe this guy from coach will reinvergrate things but i hope he is not more of the same. You reminded me how much I like Campmor. Maybe i am getting more picky in my lust for small company items or items i dont see along the trail. Maybe i am getting old and grumpy.
    I will say that there garrentee is a good thing for the members like u and I and others that want to get good equipment but it has brought the buy and return high heel crowd which i think put them in a hole alittle even if it did help with my scrath and dent equipment gear box.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock NX-250
    Insulation
    None
    Suspension
    Whoppie's
    I've been doing business with REI for at least 20-years. I used to live in San Jose, CA and went on a weekly basis just to check out the backpacking stuff. I live in Florida now and the closest one is in Jacksonville, about 4-hours from my house. I order everything on line, anytime I've had a problem they gave me 100% credit and paid for the shipping. When I really need something that I know going to last, I shop at REI. I know it's a few dollars more but, it's worth it. Did I mention if your a member, you get a dividend check over March! I just received my check for $28.00 dollars. Anything over $50.00 is free shipping!

• + New Posts