Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Still figuring it
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images

Just finished my first hammock -- haven't even slept in it yet

I decided that I wanted to try hammock camping. I didn't even know that y'all were doing such things until a few weeks ago when I started planning a backpacking trip to GSMNP. With such rave reviews and testimonies, how could I not be convinced it was a great thing.

But, I didn't want to shell out the money for one of the commercial hammocks I liked (and I didn't just want a cheap one). So, I decided to make one myself. I don't like getting eaten by bugs, so I knew I wanted some form of bug net. Then, I saw XTrekker's YouTube video and Lost_Biker's thread about an integrated bug net. That's what I decided to make.

I just finished it today. It didn't take long to hem the sides and sew the ends (using XTrekker's design for attaching suspension). I did that a couple of weeks ago. Then I collected materials for the bug net, including noseeum netting and number 5 coil zipper. Today was the day to get that part done.

Here's how it looks:

I will make a tarp for it -- probably Tyvek or plastic, unless something better turns up. I also have plans for an UQ -- something summer weight. In fact, last week a bought a 100% polyester queen size comforter set from a consignment shop for $1 with the intention of making an UQ. I didn't figure I could go too wrong for that price.

I haven't slept in a hammock yet. I almost fell asleep in this one today when I was trying it out, but my younger son showed up and prevented any sleep because of his excitement. My older son (to be 13 in June -- when I'm taking him on the planned GSMNP backpacking trip) is in the process of making his own hammock of the same design. My younger son is excited to get started on one for himself, too, and my 8 year old daughter is making one also. We'll be hanging in the woods on our 57 acres soon.

Hammock
    DIY gathered or Mayan
    Tarp
    DIY sil nylon hex
    Insulation
    Wool and feathers
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    well done! looks like the beginning of a wonderful addiction.
    "The mighty oak is nothing more than a little nut that held his ground."

Jack of all trades...master of one. (Master Barber)

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch hdwe
    Mudburn, that looks great! Can't even believe that is your first one. Enjoy!!

Congrats! Really nice looking hammock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mighty Fine….Hammock Time.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Looks great, good job.
    -Jon-

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    fantastic first attempt, time wallow is luxurious outdoor heaven.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Still figuring it
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Thanks, everyone!

I thought I might give some specifics -- I actually meant to do that last night.

I used 1.9oz ripstop from Jared at Simply Light Designs for the hammock. I also bought 7/64" Amsteel from him for 10" continuous loops at either end. I bought a 25 yard roll of #5 zipper from the Zipper Lady because it was cheaper than anywhere else and was enough to do more than one hammock. I bought the bugnet and zipper pulls from Rockywoods and the techline for the SRL from DIY Gear Supply (along with material for my younger son's hammock. With the bugnet, the hammock weighs 19.9 oz.

I added a tie out on each side, but when I test hung it and took photos yesterday, I didn't employ them. They weren't really necessary when laying in it. I have the option, though. The hammock is 62" wide and about ten feet long (I started with 10' 6" because I bought 7 yards of fabric to make two hammocks, mine and my older son's).

I'm looking forward to hanging in the woods, but my younger son insists that he must finish his hammock first and that I'm not allowed to go without him (he's 10). So, we cut the fabric for his to length last night, and he'll likely work on hemming today (once I show him how to use the sewing machine).

That looks great! I'm interested in making my first hammock too, did you follow xtrekkers tutorial exactly? With the triangles over the flynet and everything? Also wondering if you would mind sharing an approximate cost/budget for the project.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Still figuring it
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ARoberge View Post
    That looks great! I'm interested in making my first hammock too, did you follow xtrekkers tutorial exactly? With the triangles over the flynet and everything? Also wondering if you would mind sharing an approximate cost/budget for the project.
    I didn't follow XTrekker's tutorial exactly. I followed his directions for the hammock itself (the main difference being the ends for connecting the continuous loops), but I didn't use the triangles at the ends. Instead, copied Lost_Biker's tutorial -- he used a zipper on each side rather than one all the way around like XTrekker described. The main reason was that when I reached that point, I didn't have extra fabric for the triangles. I see utility in the continuous zipper, one being that you can get away with only two zipper pulls.

The hammock itself cost $15 in materials. The bug net added another $20 in materials. Once I add all the suspension costs, the total will still be less than $50 (being as frugal as I can). I don't think I would have ended up with what I wanted for the cost if I didn't make it myself. I also figured that if I didn't like it once finished that I probably could sell it for what I have in it without too much trouble (even without perfect sewing skills which are evident in stitches that aren't always straight). I also like to make my own stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast