HH UL Hiker
    Tarp
    HH equip'd
    Insulation
    Therma-rest short
    Suspension
    HH now...WS soon

Pulling trigger...diy down TQ and have questions

Getting ready to do the deed and make me a down TQ and I have some questions for those with much more experience.

I plan to order the fabric from Thru-Hiker...his quilt kit with no insulation...and the no-see-um too. Will go with WildernessLogics for the 850fp down...stuffing it "Fronkey-Style"...so individual bags is a plus. (Though the Christmas shorts will freak out my 16 yr old daughter and the dog ).

The numbers... 2" baffle height...5" chambers...16 total chambers...with 20% over-stuff...looking at a final size of around 56"x80" quilt.

I calculate a little shy of 13 oz of down. Are my numbers correct? And could this get me down to 30F or poss. lower...being an average sleeper? Thinking of a half-taper quilt and I know that would change the down numbers some.

And how does one deal with the no-see-um at either side seam? Is it just rolled up in the side seam? When sewing in the baffles would you stop the baffle seam short of the full shell width or sew the no-see-um the entire width of the shell (on both inner and outer) then close the chamber with a rolled hem...rolling the no-see-um into the hem?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It sounds like your numbers will achieve your goals. I see that you are located in humid Georgia. Based on my experiences here in humid Florida, your 20% overfill will be "absorbed" by the humidity. If you want a really puffy quilt, I would add a bit more down, say 15 oz. total.
    Or reduce the width a little. At nearly 200 pounds, my 40" wide quilts are adequate. (But I'm a gram weenie).
    As to the width of the netting for the baffles, I cut mine about 1" shy of each edge of the fabric ( about 2" less total width). This gets the netting into the side seam without that seam getting too bulky.
    Good luck with your project and post some pictures!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I would just run a stitch down the side to lock the baffles down and then do your roll hem. That is what I did and it turned out great. As for stuffing; I uploaded a video on how I stuff my quilts recently if your interested.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you want to wait 9-14 days, I will have part 1 of a video series on how to make a top quilt that will show in great detail how to make one.

I have the channel up on youtube already so people can subscribe in advance if they want to get a heads up to when the videos will be out.

Fronkey

Hammock
    HH UL Hiker
    Tarp
    HH equip'd
    Insulation
    Therma-rest short
    Suspension
    HH now...WS soon
    Madd777... Thanks for the advise. I'm thinking of narrowing down the quilt some and that would give me more down in less volume...don't want to make it too tight!

XTrekker... I watched your video a week or so ago...nice method! And looked like lots-o-down per chamber...I bet she's a warm one!

Fronkey... I'll be subscribing and waiting for your video...You always have good stuff. I'll take all the advice I can get to make the most of my diy.

Thanks all!!!

• + New Posts