Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Working that out.
    Suspension
    Straps
    Also keep in mind that a good deal of your current sleep situation (position and the need to change it through the night) are a combination of your existing back condition(s), and the flat bed/mattress. You may (might, maybe, possible) find that you have less trouble, no trouble, or more trouble in a hammock. The last is probably least likely, but I am not a doctor.

If you can get the chance to try some out, it might give you a better idea of what you like/want. You might even find that in a hammock, sleeping on your back is comfortable.
    “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ― Frank Herbert, Dune

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    I love my Snipe for side sleeping. It just seems to have a great flat, yet open lie.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle susp
    I might just go down to my local Sportsman's Warehouse, and if they have a liberal return policy, I'll buy a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro, try it out and return it if I just can't get comfortable. If it's comfy it can be my "starter hammock".

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by RKW View Post
    Is there any kind of consensus
    You are joking, right??

This is HF...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle susp
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    You are joking, right??

This is HF...
    I guess I kinda knew when I asked.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle susp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    I love my Snipe for side sleeping. It just seems to have a great flat, yet open lie.
    I'm looking at those now and that seems to be a frequent comment from Snipe owners. The price for the Snipe ($105.00/free shipping) includes whoopies and tree straps.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by RKW View Post
    Is there any kind of consensus as to what is the best hammock for side sleeping? I ask this because when reading the reviews there will be both pro and con recommendations with regard to the same hammock. Is it just a crap shoot? Is there a specific model that tends to work with a large number of side sleepers? If it helps with your answer, I'm just under 5'11" and weigh around 200 lbs.
    I have no problem with a 10'+ gathered end as a side sleeper. I'm 5'11 and 250 lbs. Just make sure that you are lying on a diagonal.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I have been able to side sleep in my Claytor Jungle and a Switchback. They are similar styles. I am leaning recently to the SB. I sometimes use a WBBB and can get comfy, just requires more tweaking In my bed I sleep on my right side and stomach, my hammy is left side and back. Go figure.
    In what ways are you finding the Switchback to be preferred to the Claytor, comfort(or any other) wise? The Switchback is a lot more expensive than the Claytors, but might be worth it if it had a significant advanyage over my Claytor No Net, a favorite of mine, particularly for PeaPod use.

I can definitely sleep on my side in the Claytor with legs straight or full fetal.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Well here's something I learned. There's side sleeping, where your knees are slightly bent but you are mostly straight while on your side.
    Then there's fetal side sleeping where your knees are more perpendicular to your body.
    For me, the bridge didn't work for my fetal side sleeping.
    Then again not everybody has a 36" inseam so YMMV.
    No doubt, most bridges- though great on my side legs straight- can be a challenge for full fetal unless you have a small inseam. I am 6'1, but don't have an inseam near that long ( 30-32, I forget) but I can sleep in a moderate fetal in my bridges, or legs straight when on my side.

I can side also sleep fetal no problem in my Speer, Claytor, HH Explorer UL.

I can sleep on my side with legs straight or full fetal in my Claytor, HH Safari and my bridges( moderate or slight fetal in bridges that is).

Generally speaking, the bridges are the hands down champ for side sleeping for solving the problem most folks have on their sides: that twist or banana effect in the side/waist. However, I am not yet sure the bridges are quite a match for shoulder comfort when on my side. Maybe the non-bridge have more give for the shoulders, or something? For example, in extreme fetal in my HH, that same ridge that is a curse to the legs forms and supports my waist, forming a little box(or reverse banana so to speak) for my shoulder to sink down into without any pressure on it.

I think my bridges are best for waist comfort when side sleeping(the main problem with other hammocks) but maybe not as good in the shoulders, but probably good enough. Just fine if I have my bicep/forearm under my head, or lean back into the side of the bridge, or maybe even just using an adequate pillow.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    BB, as to the Claytor and the SB, without detracting from the merits of the SB, while it has many other features, it seems to me to be a Claytor Jungle on steroids. The similarities are amazing, it is a little larger, nonstructural ridgeline, gathered a little differently, but very similar in design. Like the claytor, I hang it a bit tighter than I do the WBBB or any of my other DIY hammocks. I bought my SB here on the forum, unsure about it, and turns out I really like it.

If you like a claytor I think you will be really happy with a SB. As to the OP, I side sleep in all kinds of positions, runner, fetal, full extension, flip flop and flop flip. I sleep soundly, but I am all over the place. I need room to move about and see, otherwise I feel closed in and go crazy. A hammock reduces my restlessness, but far from eliminates it. I use a diamond tarp or diamond configuration whenever possible because I like the openness of it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I have both a switchback(1.9 dbl) and a thunderbird from dream hammock. I sleep sideways in both evenly, but I am more particular to the TB. that extra foot of space for me makes it more comfy, I am 6' 225lbs ish. if you are thinking of a Switchback let me know, I am debating on selling but have a gear issue. hard to let go of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast