Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tarp ridgeline hardware fail but not a bad thing!

Ok so here 's the store I have a cuban tarp that has plastic D-rings for connecting the ridgeline. I have never had a problem with it till this week. I hang my ridgeline as a continuous v set up seen here: http://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/r...with-hardware/ This weekend had freezing temps and wind. I'm thinking the swaying trees actually pulled the tarp ridgeline so hard it broke the cold plastic D-ring and this probably saved my tarp. I'm scared now that this setup that I have fallen in love with may be bad for the tarp and put to much stress on the tarp if the trees sway. I could do a continuous straight ridgeline (non-v) with prussic loops to attach the tarp this would take the stress off the tarp but I hate the ridge line rubbing on my hammock suspension like a violin. Any advice on something I haven't thought of here.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Not much of a fan of the V thing - seems to solve a problem I don't have. I wouldn't worry too much about tarp ridgeline rubbing up against hammock ridgeline. It's never going to wear in the same spot and if you're using Dyneema based rope (Zing-It and Amsteel), they're highly abrasion resistant.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    You could have the tarp line coming off one side of the tree and the hammock suspension come from the other side. That should keep them from rubbing.
    Or, replace your plastic D rings with something that will give before the tarp rips under
    stress like the D ring did.
    hth

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Not much of a fan of the V thing - seems to solve a problem I don't have. I wouldn't worry too much about tarp ridgeline rubbing up against hammock ridgeline. It's never going to wear in the same spot and if you're using Dyneema based rope (Zing-It and Amsteel), they're highly abrasion resistant.
    Not worried about the zig-it wearing it's the darn noise drives me crazy.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    You could have the tarp line coming off one side of the tree and the hammock suspension come from the other side. That should keep them from rubbing.
    Or, replace your plastic D rings with something that will give before the tarp rips under
    stress like the D ring did.
    hth
    I don't know if I have ever tried that??? Duh! everything usually comes of the tree pretty centered though. I'll have to try sometime this week and see if that helps.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Sorry, I just use a CRL to avoid that problem. The tarp is attached to the CRL with light pressure only. The guy lines add a little more pressure to keep it taut but not stressed.

I'd rather the lines give than have the tarp tear. I use small key rings to attach the tarp loop to the CRL via mason's line prussics and the stakes attached using mason's line guy lines. Either the key rings or mason's line should be the weak link in my system.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm thinking of a way that I could use Dutch flyz on a continuous RL with two prussic loops to the tarp. I could have a continuos RL with a v on either side. The only thing is that it would be an over vs. an under which i prefer. It's a start in the right direction though. I have hear of other people breaking the small plastic D-rings too wonder if it was caused from the same that I experienced. I'll get spicing tomorrow and post pics in the next couple of days if it works.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Try a small loop of 1/8" shockcord on one end of the tarp ridgeline to give a little to take the strain of wind gusts and trees swaying. Just loop the shockcord through the D-ring and attach your line to the shockcord. Not elegant, but a simple solution to protect your tarp (especially an expensive cuben tarp).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    I could do a continuous straight ridgeline (non-v) with prussic loops to attach the tarp this would take the stress off the tarp but I hate the ridge line rubbing on my hammock suspension like a violin.
    Can't believe you can actually hear the line rubbing. I have extremely sensitive hearing and I either don't notice it or have just gotten used to it.

This is the setup I use: 1.75 mm continuous ridgeline with tarp attached via soft-shackle prusiks. I have a Dutch hook spliced onto one end and on the other end, I have a Dutch Tarp Flyz attached to the CRL via soft-shackle prusik.

I don't do the V thing, but if I wanted to, I could add another soft-shackle prusik to the Dutch hook end and make Vs till the cows come home. Make V, adjust prusik; easy peasy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Can't believe you can actually hear the line rubbing. I have extremely sensitive hearing and I either don't notice it or have just gotten used to it.

This is the setup I use: 1.75 mm continuous ridgeline with tarp attached via soft-shackle prusiks. I have a Dutch hook spliced onto one end and on the other end, I have a Dutch Tarp Flyz attached to the CRL via soft-shackle prusik.

I don't do the V thing, but if I wanted to, I could add another soft-shackle prusik to the Dutch hook end and make Vs till the cows come home. Make V, adjust prusik; easy peasy.
    Haha! Yes Silver, I use 1.75 Zing-it as well and Amsteel UCR's. I don't know why but when I don't do the V the noise is very noticeable also vibrated the hammock at the same time. It drives me crazy at night when I'm trying to sleep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast