Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkster View Post

I am starting the Rosetta Stone Italian, and will have to do Spanish next. I am limited to donde es banno, and dos cervezas por favor.

How much Spanish to did you use and was it necessary?
    I would suggest trying DuoLingo instead. It's free, available as an app and online and it's awesome! I learned quickly how to say "Cafe con leche grande por favor!"

Spanish is a good idea to have a basic understanding of, but you'll figure out rather quickly what Camino spanish you need. It's the United Nations on the Camino, befriend a Belgian or Dutch pilgrim and you will be set...
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

How much is typical budget for this in US dollars, not counting airfare to get over there?

Hammock
    Hennessey Deep Jungle Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Ultralite
    Insulation
    NeoAir/ENO HotSpot
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/Toggles
    "if you're on a super tight budget of 10€/Day. Average budget is 25-30€/day."

Here is a link to a calculator euro to dollar.

Currently a 1.38 dollars = 1 euro. Therefore, €25($34.39) ~ €30($41.27). A month on the camino €30($41.27) * 30 = €900($1,237.95).

I have read that some people take 0 days and hang out at a nicer town. Eat, drink, and be merry before hitting the trail again. This would certainly increase your budget.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    I found that with my budget of 30 Euros/day, I was able to have plenty of fun, and treat myself occasionally to a private room. It all evened out eventually. That is the most I could see myself spending, though most days, my spending was closer to 20 Euros/day. I did take one zero day in Burgos. If I did it again, I would do one in Burgos, and one in Leon, minimum. Lots to see in both places.

Airfare depends on where you are flying from. I go in shoulder season and watch airfare like a hawk. I haven't paid more than $850 from the West Coast to Madrid yet. My last flight to Madrid in 2012 was actually just under $800. Also, keep in mind if you do fly in/out of Madrid, you will need to take into account transportation costs to get to your starting destination and to return to Madrid from Santiago de Compostela. I recommend if you are starting in SJPdP, to fly into Paris, train to Bayonne, then local train to SJPdP. Once you get to Santiago, fly back to Madrid (or take a train or bus, but really, flights can be had for less than $60 and are quite painless).
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by renegadepilgrim View Post
    I found that with my budget of 30 Euros/day, I was able to have plenty of fun, and treat myself occasionally to a private room. It all evened out eventually. That is the most I could see myself spending, though most days, my spending was closer to 20 Euros/day. I did take one zero day in Burgos. If I did it again, I would do one in Burgos, and one in Leon, minimum. Lots to see in both places.

Airfare depends on where you are flying from. I go in shoulder season and watch airfare like a hawk. I haven't paid more than $850 from the West Coast to Madrid yet. My last flight to Madrid in 2012 was actually just under $800. Also, keep in mind if you do fly in/out of Madrid, you will need to take into account transportation costs to get to your starting destination and to return to Madrid from Santiago de Compostela. I recommend if you are starting in SJPdP, to fly into Paris, train to Bayonne, then local train to SJPdP. Once you get to Santiago, fly back to Madrid (or take a train or bus, but really, flights can be had for less than $60 and are quite painless).
    I would agree with these costs...definitely not 10 euro per day. The cheapest alburgue was 6 euro with the norm being around 12. Don't forget you have to eat. I would also second Burgos which was probably my favorite city on the trail. Leon and Pamplona ran a close second. If you get a chance San Sebastian is a culinary and cultural delight.

I can't comment on flight costs as we flew for free via a military flight. It's a blast...def go. Spanish helps especially when trying to schedule transportation. On the actual trail...not so much as people from all over the world will be doing the same as you. English prevails among the hikers. The Germans are particularly good with english. Have fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12