WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Rope comparison Sheet

So I updated the Fabric comparison sheet to include rope (*I mostly have dyneema/spectra & "Strong" cord in there now, since they are more comparable against each other than stretchy cord. At one point I may add a elastic cord sheet.* I'm requesting that you ONLY ADD non-stretch "strong" cord for now.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=2

Also, if you add entries, you ONLY need to fill in the green columns, the white columns are just if the company is run by Brits or Canadians and used a different metric system (Easier data entry!). If you can figure out how to enter data into the shipping column, that's great, but I'll see if I can do it for the most part. It requires some trickery. Shipping costs now intuitive to enter.

This sheet is on the same spreadsheet as the fabric sheet, you have to click the link in the bottom left hand corner to access the cord sheet.

The cool feature about this sheet is that you can enter how much cord you need and it will calculate costs based on the unit length that's sold, as well as estimate the shipping costs for companies with fixed rates (I estimated based on California). Hopefully I'll do something similar to the other sheet (And add an elastic comparison sheet [If there's a demand for one]).

Note: If you are looking for hammock suspension that's pre-built, I can't think of a consistent way to add it in to the spreadsheet, but I suggest checking out the following sites:
    http://shop.whoopieslings.com/main.sc
    http://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-stuff/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 02-11-2014 at 17:18. Reason: Highlight a point/change formatting

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Just a note/question: I entered a column for strand number, is this useful? I get the impression you need several strands to make whoppie slings, and you should only use multi-stranded cord for hammock suspension. Is this accurate?

Also: What are the properties of Kevlar line? I feel like it's probably single stranded, so should mostly be reserved for bear hangs.
    Last edited by Bushwhacker; 02-11-2014 at 15:47.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Number of strands will be of little importance, but construction is...is it single braid, double braid, kernmantle, etc., and is it able to be spliced and by what methods?

Listing each branded name of rope and each retailer that has it available will end up being a long list. For example, you have "amsteel" listed. It that actually Amsteel or is it Amsteel Blue (which is the product we normally use)? Which diameter/s is it, as there are many and it is available from many retailers.

Average breaking strength should be included as well as this is one of the most important criteria for rope selection.

How about a column for standing HF discount codes available for some retailers?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    How about a column for standing HF discount codes available for some retailers?
    Added, but what does HF mean? I originally chose not to include promotions because they tend to expire quickly, and I feel like promotions discount belong in another thread altogether (so that you can include general promotions like 15% off of top quilts)

Which diameter/s is it, as there are many and it is available from many retailers.

Average breaking strength should be included as well as this is one of the most important criteria for rope selection.
    Those were among the first columns I added (Will change thickness to diameter for clarity).

Amsteel or is it Amsteel Blue
    Thanks, will fix.

Listing each branded name of rope and each retailer that has it available will end up being a long list.
    Part of the reason why I created this sheet was to clarify whether buying in bulk would be worth it for large orders. Spearitco is an oft-ignored company among hangers, but it has low shipping costs if that's the only purchase you're making (as well as a low free shipping threshold). It's also a much neater way to compile a list of retailers - the threads devoted to these are tedious to look through.

From preliminary analysis, it seems like dutchware gear is working out to have some of the lowest rates, but if you're buying 100 feet, you may seriously want to consider Warbonnet (Which I regret doing - hence this thread. The extra 2$ and shipping is really bugging me).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    For example, you have "amsteel" listed. It that actually Amsteel or is it Amsteel Blue (which is the product we normally use)?
    Wait, so DutchWare only stocks the generic stuff that's not "Amsteel Blue"? The website doesn't specify:

"For those who prefer to make their own whoopie slings and Continuous loops, Dutchware can provide you with the color of your choice in small or large quantities.

Specs
    Amsteel 7/64th colors: Black, Silver, Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Red.
    Amsteel 1.3 g / foot
    Sold in 25 foot increments however the order will come as 1 piece or hank. "

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    HF Means hammock forums.

There are a couple websites that have a discount code for hf members, redden marine for amsteel and zing it, and ripstopbytheroll being the two that come to mind quickly.

As far as I know "amsteel" is all amsteel blue, made by samson ropes. We call it amsteel so that there is no colour confusion. I may be wrong but that's what I've gathered.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post

As far as I know "amsteel" is all amsteel blue, made by samson ropes. We call it amsteel so that there is no colour confusion. I may be wrong but that's what I've gathered.
    Actually Sampson produces Amsteel and Amsteel Blue as to separate but very similar products. There are actually 6 products in the "amsteel" family but sizes and construction are slightly different for each. Amsteel Blue is the only one that comes in the common sizes that we all use, namely 7/64" and 1/18". So by process of elimination if you as for Amsteel in 7/64" everyone selling it will know that you want Amsteel Blue.....which comes in the full range of colors....Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Orange, Grey and Black. No Idea why they were not more creative in their naming process. But they have a number of products like that, same if not very similar names that would be easy to confuse if not for one little variable.

Good luck on the spread sheat....there are about 30 cottage shops and hundreds of large suppliers that all stock the same ropes....you have your work cut out if your wanting to populate the sheet with all of the options.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    7/64" and 1/18"
    Did you mean 1/8"?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Did you mean 1/8"?
    Yes, sorry, fingers not keeping up.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Dang! I thought for a minute there that I could shed some more weight!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts