Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River

Underquilt in a pinch?

I'm going camping with my boyfriend and sister in about 2 weeks, and both of them are really interested in hammocking for it. So, being the great person that I am, I've made them both hammocks, now I'm just worried that they will get cold overnight and it will ruin their experience, so I'm wondering, is there anyway that I could throw together some quick underquilts for them, while spending next to nothing(Money and time wise)

We have some extra sleeping bags, but I won't be able to "Modify" them, but if there is a way to just attach something so they will work, all's well.

Ideas welcome.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

my first underquilt was a modified top quilt

back in the day Golite made a top quilt---synthetic--that worked reallly well as an underquilt. I bought it off e-bay for cheap, added some bungies. It still works to this day but I prefer down for packing/weight....Point for you is maybe get an el cheapo synthetic bag and turn it into a UQ...synthetic because you can run the sewing machine around the line you've drawn delineating the UQ and then scissor off the excess...then add bungies and some micro carabiners and your there....if weight is not an issue then wally world should have the synthetic bag you're going to turn into a UQ

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QChan View Post
    I'm wondering, is there anyway that I could throw together some quick underquilts for them, while spending next to nothing(Money and time wise)
    Clean sheet underquilt!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8755

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    if all else fails, make em use pads- it sucks being cold in a hammock.

I've wondered how you could just carry two sleeping bags and tie it to the bottom of the hammock for an UQ.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    When weight is not an issue, something we have done on occasion is to take a second hammock and hang it directly under the one they are sleeping in - place a sleeping bag in it for the bottom insulation and you have in effect made a 2 part double layer hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    My buddy Q! You have been hiding for too long! I miss seeing your day-glo gear, and the red socks!

If it won't be too cold, a Neat Sheet UQ would work great. You can get them off Ebay for under $10 for 2 usually. You can sew a quick end channel and tabs on them, and Presto, Bango - you have an Underquilt that will get you into the 50's (10-15* C.) You don't even really need to sew them, you can just use a rock or a coin and a piece of rope, and create attachments on the ends that way. An old fleece or light wool army blanket would work the same, or a cheap fleece SB.

Knowing how long the mail takes between us, I am hesitant to offer up one of my ThermaDrape UQ's - I'm not sure if it will get there in 2 weeks!

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Great ideas, thanks guys. I'm really liking the hanging a second hammock idea, I don't feel committed enough to sew even a cheapo underquilt for either of them, in the event that they don't like hanging all the much.

I can tell how much further south you guys live than I do from some of the suggestions. It still gets pretty darn close to freezing over night here.

And Finn, you will soon get to see my Day-glo-burn-your-retinas gear in pictures :P

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    This is not going to be your best option, but I'm curious if anyone else has used it. Thermarest makes a pretty light (21oz) quilt that's just a rectangular piece, with a bungie to close off the bottom for a foot box. I would think it could easily be turned into an underquilt - just sew a channel (or just a few loops) along either long edge and run some cord through to attach it.

Any thoughts?
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    homade
    Tarp
    cheap groundsheet
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    if all else fails, make em use pads- it sucks being cold in a hammock.

I've wondered how you could just carry two sleeping bags and tie it to the bottom of the hammock for an UQ.

TH
    I tried that with an old sleeping bag.
    problem is that you needed to keep the thing in place, and simple cord ties just lead to it working it's way round in the night, and ending up a sort of "side quilt"
    maybe bungees would work better. have to give it a go.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QChan View Post
    We have some extra sleeping bags, but I won't be able to "Modify" them, but if there is a way to just attach something so they will work, all's well.
    Ideas welcome.
    What I have done in the past is to use a rectangular sleeping bag over the entire hammock. If it has a full length double slide zipper, all you have to do is to open the zipper just a tad at the bottom (where the two sliders and the zipper mate together) and pull the foot end suspension line through. That's it, your done. Bunch the bag at the foot, enter the hammock, pull the bag up around you, cinch the neck drawstring a bit to prevent the bag from sliding down, put something fluffy around around your neck and shoulder area to seal out drafts, and finally, drift off to sleep. No muss, no fuss, and nothing modified just in case the party in question doesn't take to hammocking. There is no way to attach a net, but, I'm assuming that it's too cold for the bugs to be that big of a deal yet up in B.C.!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast