Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help "injecting" webbing

I'm trying to make tree straps out of some tightly woven polyester webbing I got from Dutch. I'm using nylon upholstery thread and a 14 needle. I've tried two different machines, a Dressmaker SWA-1000 and a Bernina 817 with the same results. Top stich looks fine. Bottom thread will not pull up into webbing. I've adjusted both bottom and top tension in different configurations and even loosened the bobbin and tightened the top all the way on both machines and they still wont pull the bottom thread into the webbing. I'm mostly just hand cranking.
    Are these machines just not able to handle this webbing/thread? Is it my needle? Is it me? Any ideas? I hate to just tie a knot in the straps but I'm about there!
    First pic is bottom second is top
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Have you tried different thread like polyester thread? How about trying some bartacks instead of a straight stitch. 4 or 5 bartacks will hold fine.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I appears that your thread may to big and I would look at using a good nylon and if it makes you feel better double stitch. The webbing is closing up and it prevents your thread from pulling through stopped just as it enters.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Without looking at it, I'd say thread too big for the needle and application.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Typically, when the thread on the bottom of your piece is messed up, the problem is with your spool, top tension, improperly threading the machine, etc. When the thread on the top is messed up, the problem is with the bobbin. Not very helpful, probably, but that's all I got.
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Try a top stitch needle, it helped when I sewed my straps. It has a larger eye and larger groove.
    Expect the Best,
    Prepare for the Worst
    Attributed to some poor guy who ran into Murphy,
    Too many times

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In general nylon thread is a bad choice with a home machine. Nylon thread stretches like all nylon does and that messes up the tensions. Unfortunately you have added to the problem by messing with too many adjustments at once. So you are now going to have to go about calibrating the bobbin tension correctly before you can try anything else.

Get some 100% polyester thread of normal sewing weight. Extra heavy thread is neither worth the effort or the problems. Properly wind a bobbin and thread it into the bobbin case properly. hang on to the tail of the bobbin thread. The case should not drop down. With a quick but moderate flick flick, jerk the tail of the bobbin thread up ONCE. The bobbin should drop a couple of inches and then stop by itself. Put the bobbin in the machine and vow NEVER to mess with the bobbin tension again unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing and exactly why.

At this point, thread the machine with the same normal sewing thread and attempt the webbing again. Using ONLY the top spool tension, adjust it until you get the ballanced stitch you are wanting. Sewing is a learned skill and requires specific knowledge. Take some lessons and learn some basics of the machine so you will fare better next project
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Follow Ramblinrev's advice....there's nothing I can add.

I've tried Regular polyester thread it sews fine but I can break the thread in my hands fairly easy, not this upholstery thread. Its some strong stuff. So what is a good thread for this webbing?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzbait00 View Post
    I've tried Regular polyester thread it sews fine but I can break the thread in my hands fairly easy, not this upholstery thread. Its some strong stuff. So what is a good thread for this webbing?
    Thread strength doesn't really matter( within reason of course) just use lots of bar tacks or backstitches..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast