Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

First Winter Hang...

Going to hang outside in my backyard this weekend. Maybe even tomorrow night.

Have a Incubator (rated to 0'f) that I shall use, along with a combo of my Sleeping bag and the TopQuilt I picked up off of Amazon for a discount (I think its an ENO rated 35 - 45'f) - figure I'll get more use out of that during the summer months up here in the rockies.

I also picked up a double-layer tent from WOOT a few weeks ago. Haven't even opened it up yet, but may give it a go too. Weekend temps at night are supposed to be around freezing (its been a very warm week, day time temps in the 30's and 40's) so I figured I may as well spend the night outside for once.

Now, I am thinking of doing a winter solo hang (first time) in March at some point. Won't be deathly cold. Will probably trek up to my summer time spot (car-less) so can hopefully hitch a ride from my roommate as I want to avoid the 700ft-over-1-mile-climb. Not even sure if its doable in the winter so a car ride to another spot may work.

Regarding this...I was thinking of using my XC Skis to trek out to the campsite (i don't own snowshoes) but how to carry my gear? Should I rent a Pulk or just use my backpacking pack? Prefer not to get too hot and sweaty (and I operate pretty warm as it is, even in cold weather) and XC skiing will certainly keep me warm just as it is.

Images
    If your roommates are offering a ride.
    There are 3 very nice campgrounds for hanging on the road to Independance Pass.
    Lost Man is the last one and if you like Icefishing there is a small res just west of the campground. Take your bike and coast back into town.

For me the ultimate ski/snowshoe/hang trip would be up the road from the ski resort parking lot to the Maroon Bells and hang just past the lake.
    To have the Maroon Bell's as your view from the hammock would be the ultimate.

Take some picts and give us a report even if it's just in the backyard.
    It's always enjoyable to see a new hammock kit.

Images
    My ski's float better than my MSR snowshoes. Take the ski's and backpack.

If the trail is hardpacked this is a very cheap way to make micro spikes.
    1/8" #8 sheet metal screws add as many as you like they weigh nothing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    If your roommates are offering a ride.
    There are 3 very nice campgrounds for hanging on the road to Independance Pass.
    Lost Man is the last one and if you like Icefishing there is a small res just west of the campground. Take your bike and coast back into town.

For me the ultimate ski/snowshoe/hang trip would be up the road from the ski resort parking lot to the Maroon Bells and hang just past the lake.
    To have the Maroon Bell's as your view from the hammock would be the ultimate.

Take some picts and give us a report even if it's just in the backyard.
    It's always enjoyable to see a new hammock kit.
    That is actually a very excellent idea! I am quite narrow minded in my scope based on 'comfort' zone...have only camped a few nights in my time out here and usually with other people (and only once in my hammock). But going to the Maroon Bells is a great idea and I can get pretty close to the start via the bus (and my coworker lives up at Highlands). I will be sure to take my camera for that as well! March is my expected time as that is when my Boreal Shirt should arrive. Along with getting more then the 6 days I have XC skied so far this season (am skiing home about 2 miles every day now). This weekend I will go through my gear which has been packed away since the summer and of course do the backyard hang.

My XC shoes are water proof and quite comfortable/warm and I've worn them around town to get to the start of the trail home. Not sure what the condition of the road up to the Bells is like but that would be a good several mile gradual climb.

I imagine I would not be breaking any laws by camping by Maroon Lake during the winter? I know there are designated campgrounds during the summer but those are further down the road and are all closed during the winter (as is the road). I could try to get up to Crate Lake where I know there are some other campground spots, but thats another few miles and I don't think I can traverse a rockfield on skis.

Images
    They used to rent snowmobiles so tourist could ride up to see the Bells at the turnabout/edge of the lake.
    They would have a big sled there with hot tea and snacks for their customers.

That is were the single track trail starts.
    I don't know if that can be walked with ski's
    it just depends on how deep the snow is.

As for places to hang your hammock...Out of site of the road should work.
    If you could make it past the lake and into the trees on your right it would be much quieter if they still run snowmobiles.
    Sounds like a fun trip and it's down hill all the way back to the parking lot.

Images
    For those following this thread.
    The Maroon Bells in Aspen Colorado is one of, if not, the most beautiful valley/Mtn in the state...

https://www.google.com/search?q=roya...icial&tbm=isch
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-13-2014 at 17:05.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd try and hitch a ride from a roomie or friend to get to where the road is closed. Right now I hear they've closed it due to avalanche risk in the area (3ft of snow 2 weeks ago, no warm 30 - 40'f weather). But, i've got a few weeks before I'll be heading out that way.

I figure I should be able to get up to Maroon Lake without too much problem. That valley you see in the pictures ahead of the lake takes you to Crate lake...not sure I'll be able to do that though. I guess I'll have to make some decisions upon arriving at Maroon Lake as to where to camp and hopefully make a fire/find firewood.

I think there is a XC trail on the road to get you up to the lake. My XC skis are real thin -the two combined together might be as wide as one regular downhill ski.

Images
    Do you have a backpack stove? There is a good chance you will be on 10' of snow.
    The ground and dead fall firewood could be very hard to find.

I've never seen so much of the state under avalanche warning.
    I hope the group hang up on Mt Evans starting tomorrow will be ok?

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    For those following this thread.
    The Maroon Bells in Aspen Colorado is one of, if not, the most beautiful valley/Mtn in the state...

https://www.google.com/search?q=roya...icial&tbm=isch
    OandB,

Thanks for the picture link. Wow that is absolutely drop dead gorgeous real estate. That is a real contender for most beautiful valley/mtn in the Country.

Many thanks,
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    They are the most photographed Mtns/Place in Colorado. And yes, basically my back yard. But thats why I choose to live out here - I get to live where everyone else vacations.

I do have a MSR Pocket Rocket - though I thought those don't work too well in the cold?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast