DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Do you have a backup line attached to your harness when you sleep? Where would your line leave the tarpnet?
    Very good question. My answer is I dont know! Haha.

Yes, I sleep while attached to my climbing line and my most important decision is where to route the line. A side zip would be great but my tarp will be directional so I wouldnt be able to enter my hammock in certain trees. If i do a traditional tarpsock and my safety anchor is at the foot end my rope will have to go forward out the hole near my head then back to the feet. This would create lots of slack in the line which is dangerous.

So again, I am not sure yet.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    11' DIY sil hex
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Safety line

Do you have a backup line attached to your harness when you sleep? Where would your line leave the tarpnet?
    This is the reason I have considered a TED style waterproof sock. I have not tried making it yet, just a thought. It seems like the design could also vent easily.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDmoo View Post
    This is the reason I have considered a TED style waterproof sock. I have not tried making it yet, just a thought. It seems like the design could also vent easily.
    I was going to say - change the dimensions on this, and you've got yourself a hammock tarpnet!
    What I would do is choose a tarp covering big enough to cover your hammock and drape down the sides a little bit, and sew a bugnet onto one side where the tarp meets the hammock. On the other side you can use an elastic like the TED:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=33714

Then you can use velcro to attach the net to the tarp in between the non-existent bars of your pseudo-bridge hammock. If you drape the sides over properly, you could cut into the fabric from the corners diagonally to wrap around the suspension (and optionally seal with velcro/magnets) and let your safety line exit there.

Of course figuring out how to make this reversible is a completely different issue, considering you have four suspension tie in points to your DIY treeboat.

Honestly, I would just put on a separate bugnet, and then use a driducks poncho conversion kit to make a 3-use poncho/Undercover/Tarp. Although I'm not entirely sure if that's completely waterproof. If not I would just use waterproof material to make a 2-use undercover/tarp. It would probably end up being lighter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    my hammock has three attachment points

Oops, but I still stand behind my draft.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Sorry for derailing the thread again, but does your DIY Treeboat6 give you much shoulder squeeze without the pad? To be honest, I'm kind of confused on why you prefer pseudobridges to Gathered ends? They do seem lighter in terms of sheer fabric needed, but the pad would add bulk to your gear.

Also, if you end up organizing a trip, could you put me on your list? Please???

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Sorry for derailing the thread again, but does your DIY Treeboat6 give you much shoulder squeeze without the pad? To be honest, I'm kind of confused on why you prefer pseudobridges to Gathered ends? They do seem lighter in terms of sheer fabric needed, but the pad would add bulk to your gear.

Also, if you end up organizing a trip, could you put me on your list? Please???
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? HELL YES! Seriously, I have begged all of my climbing and backpacking friends yet noone has ever joined me. I even offered to lend them my extra climbing gear, yet nothing.

As for the bridge hammock, I never get shoulder squeeze because I always tie the head end super wide. I use pads because I have them from my UL backpacking days. If I were to buy an underquilt in the same weight range I would have to spend well over $200. Plus, when hanging in the canopy I dont have to worry about my pricey down quilt getting snagged on a branch and creating down-rainfall.

And thanks for the drawing, it is almost creepy how similar it is to my latest drawing that I will likely be using. I like the idea of velcro to keep the tarp from spinning.
    v
    v

^
    ^

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    You may want to be wary with velcro though - some velcro can tear no-seeum apart. I keep forgetting that when I think up designs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Thanks for the tip! I have been pondering zipper vs velcro and now I have another factor to the decision.
    v
    v

^
    ^

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345