Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yea, that's seems to be the norm from what I have read. Length is a problem with the store bought hammocks. I think I will go the DIY route. That way I can make it a proper length, specifically for me. I'm hoping that in my travels thru this site, that I can find someone locally, who is into hammock use, so I can try some different styles out, and see what I like. I'm the kind of person who likes foot space, and hate having my feet confined, so I also need to think about that. As for fabric prices, I'm probably looking in and around $3-5.00 per yard. I still have to find out what will be best, whether I go with 70D or a bit heavier. Weight isn't a huge concern, a few ounces here and there isn't going to make any difference to me, because I am not able to take the long treks thru the bush anymore because of my rheumatoid arthritis. So it's usually drive out, maybe a short walk from the car, and set up camp. I'm hoping to be able to make myself a hammock for less than $150 including everything, but it looks,like it could go either way. I may be better off spending the few dollars more in order to get one of the XL models from somewhere, because it seems to almost be comparable in price. I will get out asnd hit the fabric stores locally and see what I can find in the way of prices for the nylon and silnylon here in the city.

Hammock
    DD Jungle
    Tarp
    DD SL
    Insulation
    DD UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    This hammock is by far their most expensive. They have recently redone their website and it is easy to manage. They have hammocks starting at about $40. I will be sure to post a full report when ours comes in.

Hammock
    ddjungle,clarkvertex
    Tarp
    ddxl,vertextarp
    Insulation
    diy
    Suspension
    whoopie,huggers
    I ordered mine last Monday night late, and by Wednesday early afternoon it was at my door here in Oregon. Now all I need is some time to use it.

Hammock
    DD Jungle
    Tarp
    DD SL
    Insulation
    DD UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Holy crap Slowride you scared me. The guide service I work for is Slowride Guide Services http://www.slowrideguide.com and I thought you were a coworker. HAHAHA

Now for my next question:
    Does anyone with a DD Travel hammock think it would be to hot for Texas weather? I am going to try the wife's jungle hammock out but I was looking at the travel hammock.Trying to decide which I want to get.
    Last edited by rockportkayak; 02-17-2014 at 13:19.

Hammock
    DD Jungle
    Tarp
    DD SL
    Insulation
    DD UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    It just arrived!!! Pics to follow.

Hammock
    DD Jungle
    Tarp
    DD SL
    Insulation
    DD UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    here's a quick vid on the setup.. just wanted to rub in our awesome weather today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH7GniZocwo Thanks to Dan Romani and his videos for helping us decide.

Hammock
    DD Frontline Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by rockportkayak View Post
    Does anyone with a DD Travel hammock think it would be to hot for Texas weather? I am going to try the wife's jungle hammock out but I was looking at the travel hammock.Trying to decide which I want to get.
    I would think about the Frontline over the Travel hammock. The only difference between the two is that the base layer material on the Frontline is breathable. The Travel hammock base layer is not, but it is waterproof if you plan on going to the ground a lot.

Hammock
    DD Jungle
    Tarp
    DD SL
    Insulation
    DD UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    ridgeline from woopieslings should be here early next week so expect a new vid with tarp setup....

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Howdy from Pinehurst, TX!

I use the Frontline summer and not-summer-yet here in Tejas, and the breathability has been great, but I havent tried it as a bivvy yet...so wet ground hasn't been an issue. I picked up a hexfly for a tarp, and whoopie slings, and love it! I do a lot of truck camping, haven't hiked with it much.

Hammock
    DD Jungle
    Tarp
    DD SL
    Insulation
    DD UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Got the single ridgeline in and boy was that an easy set up. We decided that we are going to add some fixed lines to the 4 corners of the tarp with figure 9's for easy setup. I will post some vid/pics when we get it done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast