Hammock
    Portaledge-Of-Love
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing

PICTURE - what is wrong with my sewing!?

What am I doing wrong guys? As I sew ripstop nylon the thread will jumble up on the bottom side of the nylon (see picture). I don't know how to fix this. I got a new needle and I tried to use thick polyester thread but it always tangles and I have to restart the stitch.

Is it better to use wider stiches? Maybe I need thinner thread? A sharper nylon specific needle?

Thanks guys!

EDIT I added this part after a bunch of you guys posted ideas...

Ok, so I pulled out the machine in preparation for starting my project tomorrow and asked my wife to make sure everything looked good. The only thing that she fixed was putting the thread behind a tiny metal piece just above the needle. I have never done this and am unsure if this will resolve anything:

Second, what the heck does this thing do? I push down on the tab and (excuse my extreme niaveness) this metal thingy spins downward to fit around the needle. Maybe there is a tutorial online for how to work this machine, haha.

Third, here is a picture of the top of my machine. I didn't see anything about tension and I followed the instructions printed on the machine for threading it:

Last edited by Refreshing; 02-14-2014 at 23:46.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Looks like you need to tighten up your tension. But take that with a grain of salt because I'm a pretty lousy thread injectionist.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    HDHG Netless
    Tarp
    HDHG Sil Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    HDHG Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    That's on the bottom, correct? Then you need to adjust the tension of the thread coming off the spool.

It happens on my machine sometimes when I get into the swing of things and I'm going to fast.

Hound Dog Hammock Gear on facebook Home of the Butt Warmer Hammock Chair Insulation
    If you need to get ahold of me concerning custom work or orders, and hate facebook please Email me directly

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The tension might be high on the top side because the thread is too thick for the needle. What thread and what size needle are you using?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Your upper thread tension is too low. The bottom thread is just laying on the fabric. It should be pulled into the fabric.

Consult your owner's manual to make sure the machine is threaded correctly and then adjust the upper tension to balance the amount the top and bottom threads are pulled into the fabric.

769b.png

There may be other problems contributing to the loops, like lint in the bobbin area, but try the above info first and we'll work from there if needed.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    There are several reasons why that can happen

- top thread threaded incorrectly - check your machine manual to make sure that the machine is threaded correctly and particularly that it is correctly placed through the tension system (round disks usually)

- bobbin wound incorrectly - wind another bobbin and try again
    - bobbin not inserted correctly or bobbin thread not inserted in it's tension spot

If and only if you're sure that all the above are okay, play gently with the upper tension but make sure that you mark where it was before you started playing with it because it's probably not the source of your problem. It would be wrong from the very start if it was. Tension does not all of a sudden go awry without some help but threads can skip out of their tension spots.

Speed should not matter but some machines don't like heavy feet on the switch....

EDIT: I just took another look at the pics, gmcttr is correct, the upper tension is incorrect. It's showing up in every stitch BUT the snarls and snags are a separate issue.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Oops, I'm backwards. Gotta read the OP more carefully. Just now seeing the picture. Listen to gmcttr and the Old Boot.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Yep... upper tension is bad. Do NOT play with the bobbin tension. That is NOT the problem. You will only confuse things. The needle and thread size should not matter in this case. Although using a thick thread can induce other problems. You may also have some added problems related to the threading of the machine. Strip out the spool thread, brush out the thread path with a soft brush, clean the bobbin area well and then do a full rethread. If that doesn't fix it, let us know and we'll see what else we can recommend.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Fought the same problem recently. Found that in my overconfident relationship with my machine I had slipped the thread behind the tension control instead of between the tension discs. One of those things that make you want to slap yourself.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Fought the same problem recently. Found that in my overconfident relationship with my machine I had slipped the thread behind the tension control instead of between the tension discs. One of those things that make you want to slap yourself.
    You and every other user with the exposed tension discs. Don't feel bad... even the pros do that kind of thing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint