Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    +1 on crazy - give it a try in the back yard and you'll wonder what you were thinking.

You'll need a minimum of a sleeping bag and pad.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Something like a Carhartt insulated coveralls and sleeping in your boots might work.
    OK but which tarp do you recommend for that combination?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hey slinc! Welcome to the forums.

It's not that they all think you're crazy, they just don't want you to freeze to death!

You're going to have to use something (CCF pad, Thermarest pad, UQ, etc) under you and over you (mummy bag, etc.) to keep from freezing. The pads aren't very comfortable but they DO work.

Experiment (in your backyard) and you'll find a combo that works.

Come to Yates Place in the Uwharries east of Charlotte next month for camaraderie and to see how everyone else does it.

Pappy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The best investment you can make in hammock gear is a good tarp and under quilt. If you find you don't enjoy the hammock mantra, resale of that gear is fast and at a price close to what you paid for it. Cheap rental at worst.

I've done temps in the mid 30's with a merino base under heavy fleece and using a relfectix pad covered in fleece that's body length. Works, but not as well as the quilt.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Well, I was not wearing a Merrino wool base layer, but something very similar along with other layers. The temps were in the low 40s maybe high 30s and I was miserable. My body simply compressed the air out of everything I was wearing and my entire back side was cold.

I have started researching UQs and see that there are some for under $200. Maybe combining that with the layers of clothing will do the trick.

I was recommended by other HF-ers to check out the Poncho Liner DIY UQ. That looks like it will work also, but looks a bit heavy and bulky.

Good luck!

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    If you want dual use, try a Big Agnes bag and insulated pad. I used mine and its a great combo in a hammock and on the ground. Just don't fully inflate the pad - about 1/2 full is fine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    One can remain warm in a hammock with clothing alone...but it will take quite a bit of clothing. It also wouldn't provide much comfort.

Ice fishermen wear everything but the kitchen sink, and even with that they are only out for a few hours. Stretch that few hours into overnight then factor in a lower sleeping metabolism and you'll need a LOT of clothing at 30. Something like a Carhartt insulated coveralls and sleeping in your boots might work. Personally, I have use for a top quilt and an underquilt far more often than I do insulated coveralls.
    ha, that still won't work. I've been at work fully dressed (including insulated bibs) where I was 40' in the air on the ocean front hovering above 0* with decent winds and I was warm. Set up the hammock down on the ground out of the wind and was still cold laying down. Layed acouple layers of cardborad under me and I was toasty.

36 degrees no problem, according to this person from Florida(!):

"As I was doing a 2-month extended trip including backpacking in California I did not want to take any big camping gear on my last trip. I just threw in the hammock and a sleeping bag. Even at 36 F (2 C) I was fine without any insulation when I was fully inside the sleeping bag. To be honest, I doubt I will bother with a sleeping pad in future as it saves weight and space and the difference in comfort is minimal for me."

Full review here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...hie%20Pearson/

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakine View Post
    36 degrees no problem, according to this person from Florida(!):

"As I was doing a 2-month extended trip including backpacking in California I did not want to take any big camping gear on my last trip. I just threw in the hammock and a sleeping bag. Even at 36 F (2 C) I was fine without any insulation when I was fully inside the sleeping bag. To be honest, I doubt I will bother with a sleeping pad in future as it saves weight and space and the difference in comfort is minimal for me."

Full review here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...hie%20Pearson/
    I'll buy that - assuming they are skinny as a rail and have a heavy old synthetic bag that is not very compressible. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

I forgot to pack my UQ and TQ for one of the group hangs I went to. A few people asked me if I wanted to borrow a UQ but I was confident that my cloths would be enough. I was wearing merino mid weight bottoms, merino mid weight top and heavy merino socks. I spent most the night getting up to warm by the fire. Early the next morning I tracked down a UQ to borrow.
    The most important piece of gear a hanger can have is a good UQ.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast