Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakine View Post
    36 degrees no problem, according to this person from Florida(!):

"As I was doing a 2-month extended trip including backpacking in California I did not want to take any big camping gear on my last trip. I just threw in the hammock and a sleeping bag. Even at 36 F (2 C) I was fine without any insulation when I was fully inside the sleeping bag. To be honest, I doubt I will bother with a sleeping pad in future as it saves weight and space and the difference in comfort is minimal for me."

Full review here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...hie%20Pearson/

I believe the OP included " I am trying to decide the best way to get outside now without spending $300 - $500 on a nice underquilt/top quilt".

A sleeping bag would certainly count as a top quilt at least.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    A Jarbridge quilt from Arrowhead is $100. I think that's rated at about 30*f.
    One of those and a sleeping bag used as a top quilt will work for not a lot of $$$ outlay. Again, the used value of an under quilt is pretty close to the new price.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to this insanity we call... FUN!
    Hello, from Florida.

Now you know that a base layer, no matter how good of wool, is not enough. It must be supplemented by something else. Whether it's a lot of clothes or sleeping bag or pads or quilts. The question becomes how much to wear/bring and the cost.

For me, at 5'9" 200lbs, I can't wear enough clothes alone, except for Summer. To go lower than 45*F, a SB alone isn't enough. To go below 25*F a pad/SB combo isn't enough.

I have been down to 23*F comfortably with a synthetic TQ and synthetic UQ I made for under $30. For 2 TQ's and 1 UQ, I spent less than $40 by DIY. My tarp is also DIY and was less than $25. If I had your $160 to use, I would have been in blissful down with everything for insulation including down beanie and down booties and pack up small enough to easily carry a week more of food.

Also, consider your style of camping. If you plan to hike, a combination of down TQ/UQ with your hammock will make it lighter and less bulky to allow you to get to 30*F AND be warm enough to enjoy it AND be comfortable enough to do it again and again.

Good luck with your choices and I hope you can get what's best for your needs and likes. After all, you get to use it. Not us.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slinc View Post
    I live in NC and am new to hammocks.
    Just dropping in to say hello from Charlotte.
    Come join one of our group hangs or find one of us on here if you want to see what one of the UQ's is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    So the short answer is no. Even with heavy weight thermals...the type here does not significantly matter...you will still feel convective air flow. Most of us feel the chill at anything below 70F. Your heavy weight thermals may take you a little cooler than that...60 maybe but I would not think you would stay comfortable warm much below that without something for under insulation.

When I first started out I had hoped to be ok in moderate temps with minimal under insulation my self. I started off with a 1/8th" foam pad. I did OK for a while but it did not take long for that thin of a pad to not hold out the chill at 8000' in July. By morning I was mildly hypothermic and was shivering almost out of control. Luckily we had decided to car camp that first night and I watched the sun rise with the heater running full blast. Was not a fun way to find out I was under prepared for my first hang.

No a good thermarest, or even a good piece of closed cell foam will get you into the 30's to try hammocks out without a underquilt. Lots of folks here start off with the cheap blue CCF from Walmart camping section. It's cheap and bulky but will keep you warm to around freezing. Higher quality CCF will work better and you can go to a bit thinner foam aka less bulk if you can get ahold of some good stuff. 1/4" should do if you find a good quality. The one thing to remember is that foam will detract from the comfort of the hammock....which is why under quilts are better.

Welcome to the forums and hanging.
    Nicely put, I woke up at 2 am freezing in my hammock, I was only using a thermarest pad and my sleeping bag, it was rather unpleasent

Thanks everyone for the replies. I thought I was pushing it with just warm clothes. I will setup the hammock outside and experiment with pads and underquilts before heading out.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Warming Trend

Quote Originally Posted by slinc View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I thought I was pushing it with just warm clothes. I will setup the hammock outside and experiment with pads and underquilts before heading out.
    I suspect that "pushing it" is an understatement. But there's a warming trend moving through our area so it's a good time to get out and test. I think you'll find it interesting how much insulation you need to stay warm in the low 50s.
    Lots of good info on this site about staying warm on the cheap. If you get into this method of camping you'll end up with UQs and TQs, but DIY options like Poncho Liner quilts, and expensive dual use items like CCF pads will get you there prior to dropping a lot of $$$ on the good stuff.
    Knowing what I know now, I probably would have spent my $$$ on the good stuff to start with instead of having a closet full of CCF pads, sleeves, etc. But, I didn't know I was going to become an addict.
    I'm still using a BA Sleeping Bag on top, but have found that a good UQ makes the biggest difference.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    BTW: The Minus 33 Merino is good stuff for the price. It will still make great dual use gear as sleep wear and baselayer. I even wear my 1/4 zip mid-weight as a light sweater over dress shirts for work and dinner wear. I'm as much as a Merino convert as I am a hammock convert. Go for it.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    I suspect that "pushing it" is an understatement. But there's a warming trend moving through our area so it's a good time to get out and test. I think you'll find it interesting how much insulation you need to stay warm in the low 50s.
    Lots of good info on this site about staying warm on the cheap. If you get into this method of camping you'll end up with UQs and TQs, but DIY options like Poncho Liner quilts, and expensive dual use items like CCF pads will get you there prior to dropping a lot of $$$ on the good stuff.
    Knowing what I know now, I probably would have spent my $$$ on the good stuff to start with instead of having a closet full of CCF pads, sleeves, etc. But, I didn't know I was going to become an addict.
    I'm still using a BA Sleeping Bag on top, but have found that a good UQ makes the biggest difference.
    +1 on making an Army Poncho Liner Under Quilt. Lots of folks get by with that & a pad. And try one of those silver windshield shades too. I carry one everywhere I go, even with an UQ. It's saved my butt (literally) a time or two when the temps dropped lower than expected. Get the solid kind over the bubble kind if you can.
    Happy Testing!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DIY Spear
    Tarp
    Tyvek 9'x11'
    Insulation
    Static V
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Maybe at a higher temp, but not if it's cold.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
    -Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123