WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by walterharold View Post
    Why is the Darien UL no longer available? Too fragile?
    He didn't say, but yeah that's what I suspect.

EDIT: I guess fragile isn't the word. Perhaps "specialized" is better. It's plenty durable if you know what you're doing, but I suppose it's not altogether unlikely that too many didn't know what they were doing and ended up blaming the hammock or craftsmanship; or maybe not blaming anything and just making a mistake and ending up having spent quite a pretty penny on something that was quickly rendered useless.

All conjecture though.
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-16-2014 at 16:26.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    He didn't say, but yeah that's what I suspect.

EDIT: I guess fragile isn't the word. Perhaps "specialized" is better. It's plenty durable if you know what you're doing, but I suppose it's not altogether unlikely that too many didn't know what they were doing and ended up blaming the hammock or craftsmanship; or maybe not blaming anything and just making a mistake and ending up having spent quite a pretty penny on something that was quickly rendered useless.

All conjecture though.
    I like the way you put it.
    Unfortunately, this hammock started becoming popular with brand new hangers wanting it only because it was the lightest. Like any ultralight gear, it has to be treated with care and it must be used correctly.

- I had one damaged by a user who was under the weight rating, but hung at the top of a shelter high enough that he had to jump into it.

- I've had several damaged by people laying left lay and then forcing the zippers closed.

- I had one damaged because the owner tied the dynaglide whoopie slings to the ends of the hammock instead of using the provided whoopie hooks. (He had to cut the hammock down off the trees the next morning).

- I had one person tear a zipper off by tying the tail of the whoopie sling to the zipper pull. I never figured out why they did this and was afraid to ask.

-----
    The OP says in another recent thread....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Short answer is I tend to be a little bit of a daredevil/extremist in most of my endeavors.
    This is a vendor's worst nightmare.
    Please be a daredevil/extremist with your own DIY gear, not with Dream Hammock gear.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 02-16-2014 at 17:38.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The daredevil/extremist in you will soon find out that the lightest hammock is not necessarily the most durable - it's most likely the least durable. I've gone through two 1.1 oz hammocks in the last two years and have no interest in "disposable" hammocks anymore. Luckily, the rips did not occur on the trail, but it made me rethink what I would do if it did happen on the trail - sleep on the ground, and I have no interest in doing that.

So the daredevil/extremist in you better bring a spare hammock and backup Zing-It suspension or be prepared to sleep with the worms and spiders, and also have a talk with the wallet to see if he's okay with the extra replacement expense.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I just thought it was a little much to say that the extra 5oz was "absurd" compared to a miniature hammock. I'm a semi-tall guy, at 6ft, and a hammock small enough to weigh 5oz just wouldn't be comfortable to me. That's why I sacrificed some weight and made my 11ft-er. Still 1.1, and still weighs in right around 9.8oz with suspension. haven't gotten around to making a bug net for it yet, but I imagine that my end result will be hammock+suspension+net= ~15oz. Heck, Watermonkey, himself, said he was a short guy, and that his height gave him an advantage in weight savings because he could use smaller/less equipment.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

It sucks that tulle is not durable, but how much does it cost

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by bootstick View Post
    It sucks that tulle is not durable, but how much does it cost
    A little bit of nothing. It's used for bridal veils and other decorative items.

http://www.tulledirect.com/acatalog/...ide-black.html
    Last edited by gmcttr; 02-16-2014 at 20:14.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    A little bit of nothing. It's used for bridal veils and other decorative items.
    Thats weird, I would never have thought material used for a a veil would be able to support weight as a hammock, I guess you really do learn something new every day

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bootstick View Post
    Thats weird, I would never have thought material used for a a veil would be able to support weight as a hammock, I guess you really do learn something new every day
    no no no no, dont make a tulle hammock! i'ts for bug nets only!

Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    no no no no, dont make a tulle hammock! i'ts for bug nets only!
    lol that makes much more sense, I was going to say, that would maybe only be feasible for newborns at best.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The daredevil/extremist in you will soon find out that the lightest hammock is not necessarily the most durable - it's most likely the least durable. I've gone through two 1.1 oz hammocks in the last two years and have no interest in "disposable" hammocks anymore. Luckily, the rips did not occur on the trail, but it made me rethink what I would do if it did happen on the trail - sleep on the ground, and I have no interest in doing that.

So the daredevil/extremist in you better bring a spare hammock and backup Zing-It suspension or be prepared to sleep with the worms and spiders, and also have a talk with the wallet to see if he's okay with the extra replacement expense.
    Well put SilvrSurfr....... Worms and spiders are one thing, but my wallet talks back to me. Really get a good sense as to what your overall objectives are. Lightest isn't always best.
    Just Hanging Out !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast