Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Your own analysis, Sticky!

Excellent analysis! Every scientifically trained mind knows that it is best to only change one variable at a time, then evaluate the results. I subscribed to thread and bookmarked to share with people looking for a comfortable 1st hammock in future threads. Might be worthy of a "sticky" status.

I also generally agree with Gqgeek81's suggestion in comment #26, anyone who wants to "feel" the difference for themselves can take whatever gathered end hammock they have (or borrow one) and temporarily whip the ends with cord at various lengths to simulate the loss of comfort in shorter hammocks, including the ridge line if the hammock has one. (not all hammocks need a ridge line).

I own two "short" hammocks in addition to several very long hammocks, when i occasionally set up the short ones my daughters will totally avoid them. Even when they were young and short themselves and they fought over the longer ones. This is not rocket science! Obviously the "short" hammocks are lighter for backpacking etc.

BTW the apparently wasted material at the ends has been "replaced" with cordage for many centuries by natives in central and south america but not necessarily to reduce weight. The indigenous people (primitive but not Indian because they are not from that country) I lived with in the Amazon jungle collected wild cotton, spun it on their thighs, then wove it into fabric and made their own hammocks as they have done for hundreds or thousands of years. Conserving this precious fabric by using cordage at the ends instead of their handmade fabric was a major consideration. This cordage at the ends was also done by sailors on ships for several hundred years, possibly because washing fabric was not fun for them. I don't like multiple strands of cordage at the ends because it gets tangled and does not save much weight and also introduces multiple points of failure, but to each their own. Oh, it is is also a strangulation hazard for small children and pets, unsupervised. Dogs and cats love hammocks if you sleep in them every night and forget to roll them up in the morning. My pet monkey would jump on me every morning and rudely wake me up at daybreak as a kid.

Also that extra space at the ends and along the ridge line is not wasted, you can use it for peak bags and ridge line bags (your stuff sacks repurposed) and therefore store very little gear on the ground or hanging from trees where varmints and rainwater can more easily get to it.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro
    Greg,

I've watched all of your hammock videos and have really liked the information in them. Thanks for all of the help. One question, have you made a top quilt that you like? I have found your how-to videos to be easy to follow and very informative! Thanks again!

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    I just extended my short hammock which started as 10' x 60" of 1.6 oz ripstop. From gather to gather, it was 9' 2"--it now measures 11' 8" --much more comfortable.

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Thanks for a very nicely done video, and valuable information. Timely too. I have various chunks of fabric waiting for hammock projects, I just looked and there is one piece which is 4 yards long and I'll just hem it up and give it a try. The new issue of course is having a tarp to fit over a longer hammock. My tarp is extra long anyway, so I think this is going to work out nicely. I am now wishing the 7 yard piece I had slated for a 2 layer hammock was 8 yards.

The tip about not cinching up the underquilt is a nice bonus that may solve one of my problems.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images

TucsonTom's 12' hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    ..... I am now wishing the 7 yard piece I had slated for a 2 layer hammock was 8 yards.

@T Tom
    You can remedy that one of two ways
    1. If you don't need two layers to hold your weight, use 4 yards of the seven for a single layer hammock. Sew the remaining 3 yards to that hammock, centering it under the first layer. No one actually will need the 1.5-2' of hammock at each end for stuffing a pad, as no body part will be there.
    2. If you need the layers to hold your weight, do as I did in comment #33 above: extend the 3 yard piece. I used a flat felled seam, double stitching both the first seam and the rolled over part. This is a picture of that. I morphed it from 9'2" to 11' 8"--the comfort amazes me and I'm not very tall either (5'8" &change).

my turtle dog stand.jpg
    Last edited by kayak4water; 07-07-2014 at 01:54.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 40
    Thank you and nicely done...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Hi folks: Life has been busy with my new day job and more music students at night. So I haven't been responding as quickly as I should.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    Now, about the 10' hammock, what to do, what to do? Maybe convert it to a bridge hammock?
    My wife and grand daughter are each about 5' tall. I'm subtly suggesting that they try hammock camping. I think the smaller hammocks would work for them

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    There's no need to go making a bunch of different hammocks to try.
    I actually ended up with several hammocks just because the first instructions I discovered online said to use a 9 1/2' length. When that wasn't working for me I built a longer one. Then I went on a trip with Fronkey and his hammock was even longer. So I tried a 12 1/2 foot hammock. So yeah, it was a learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Actually, I seen no reason why you couldn't use something like a Klemheist knot on one side in place if the whipping so its super easy to adjust. I'm NOT suggesting you leave this one there (not without some sort of stopper) but just use it in the backyard long enough to try out different lengths and see where you like it.
    I did something similar to that with my ridge line to find the sweet spot for the amount of sag. I've never tried changing the actual length of the hammock with knots though. Interesting idea for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by N0bear View Post
    Greg,

I've watched all of your hammock videos and have really liked the information in them. Thanks for all of the help. One question, have you made a top quilt that you like? I have found your how-to videos to be easy to follow and very informative! Thanks again!
    I absolutely love my DIY top quilt. It's 1 pound 10 ounces and I've slept quite warm (while also wearing my down jacket) down to 24 degrees. If anything, it's a bit too hot for summer backpacking.

I didn't make a video of me sewing my top quilt. However, Fronkey now lives about 10 miles away from me and when he's back from his PNT trip we've already talked about me doing a "special guest" appearance in the top quilt episode of "DIY With Fronkey". Also, I'm very tempted to make another quilt with a warmer temperature range, perhaps about a 40 degree quilt. If I do that I'll try to make a video of that.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    This ought to be a sticky *
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234