May Turkey Trek/Hang

Hello everyone! well i had the pleasure of meeting a few of you at the Huron Deep Freeze hang that Riverjoe and I put on together, because of that i ended up joining here!, well we (BCUSA) have another meet up coming up this spring the weekend of May 10th. Below is some information about the meet up / hang, Firstly i want everyone to know that hunting is not required! i myself will just be hanging and shooting the breeze for the three days, a few will be in period clothes (i wont be), again NOT required (only one guy last year)! so don't let that discourage anyone!!!! Better information below thanks guys and i hope to see some familiar faces and some new ones!!!!!!

*****the info below is from Brent or "Stain" the meet up is his baby im just helping host so ill let him explain....******

Fresh on the heels of the Huron deep freeze that I was unable to attend, the time is fast approaching for the Spring Turkey Trek in Grayling Michigan. Which, given the weather this year may prove to just be another deep freeze. This years trek has been pegged as happening on the weekend of May 10, 2014. No set time for in and out, probably friday through sunday. This camp has been around for several years as a 1750's period themed turkey hunters camp. Over the years the historical guys have been thinning out at about the same time I discovered bushcraftusa. All bushcrafters are invited to attend the trek camp.

you can see references to some past camps here:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...od-themed-camp

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...Hartwick-Pines

While the theme is period, it is not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination. Just keep the theme as a low profile hunters camp and we are good to go. Low profile means smaller fire and keeping the use of artificial lights to a minimum to enhance the ambiance of being out in the woods. If you have any period items or desires to try old school stuff, this would be a good opportunity but most definitely not required. I have to admit that after last years 3 solid day's of rain, I am thinking of hammocking this time to get out of the wet and avoid a period correct case of pneumonia.

The late turkey season will be in full swing which is the point to the camp, but turkey hunting is not required. The campsite is along a small river, so hunters can cross the river in the morning to hunt as desired and camp activities will not be a problem. I small lake is nearby for panfish also.

The traditional campsite is located https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Grayl...higan&t=h&z=16 and we can usually drive pretty close to it so if a long hike is not practical for you, not a problem. The actual campsite location will be up to the group to decide. The area has several options for types of ground to pick from depending on what the desires are of the group. The normal campsite has been used because of easy access and it has a good supply of pine and oak for projects. It is also near water. We usually bring drinking water in, but we have also filtered local. Other areas nearby are maple or scrub or open meadow, but water availability and hunting is our usual deciding factor. With general bushcraft being a more primary focus over hunting, it may be that the group wants to do a particular activity where a different spot would be more desirable. The area we are in is military training ground so there is a lot of dirt available as well as state forest ground nearby if that would be the preference.

I think it would be a nice goal if anyone coming wanted to pick a skill or activity to demonstrate. Perhaps someone has something they want to learn and someone else can demo it. I am volunteering the demonstrate how to properly nap in a turkey blind. Hopefully demonstrations won't be a repeat of how to hang tarps against the driving rain again or another first aid demo on treating a punctured hand.

anyone interested?
    Last edited by Mr.LCV; 02-17-2014 at 10:37.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Alway wanted to make one of these . I was even thinking of making a period hammock . Meet Joe the recently deserted British seaman who is trekking across the 18 century wilderness with the hammock he stole when he jumped over the side of his Man O War in Boston harbor .

Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Alway wanted to make one of these . I was even thinking of making a period hammock . Meet Joe the recently deserted British seaman who is trekking across the 18 century wilderness with the hammock he stole when he jumped over the side of his Man O War in Boston harbor .
    Jeeze Joe that's a rough walk

• + New Posts