Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I just wanted to update two things. First, I did some further testing and folded the multimat in half length wise. So it is the same width but half the length. It covers from my shoulders to just passed mid thigh. It doubles the insulation where I need it most (shoulders and hips) and makes it a bit more rigid (not rigid at all, but its so thin that in single layer it is very "flimsy" (for lack of a better word) in the hammock. The added structural integrity folded in half does setting up in the hammock some favors, although I still found it easy in single layer mode. I was very warm with this for my shoulders and hips and my ccf pad as my main insulation. I also found this very comfortable. In my double layer hammock this set up does not shift at all. Overall I'm very pleased. As has been mentioned, not the lightest bottom insulation set up, but for winter it is great, and I think the multimat itself will be great for the warmer weather times that you still need insulation.

Second, based on the discrepancy of the r value between REI and Expeds websites, I emailed them asking about what the true r value of the current model is and its 1.2. Which is great, because folded in half for 2.4 should be plenty for my shoulders at the temps I face in PA winters.

I do think I'm going to drop down to a smaller ccf pad width wise as I doubt the extra 5 inches on my XL (25 inches wide) will make a big difference over 20 inches considering I'm using the multimat for my shoulders and hips, but the weight difference is pretty significant.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Insulhammock
    Insulation
    gigantic beer gut
    Suspension
    Never got caught
    loghangin, have you tried the 1/8" ccf thinlight pad from Gossamer Gear? It weighs in at 3 oz. I have heard from a couple of hangers it is effective at supplementing bottom insulation. I'm curious about using this with my Exped Synmat UL pad.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    I added a pad pocket to my ENO DN and have used a variety of mats in there. One really cold camping trip I used a partially inflated Exped DownMAt 9 in there and it worked great. Don't know about the Multimat
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFirePitGuy View Post
    loghangin, have you tried the 1/8" ccf thinlight pad from Gossamer Gear? It weighs in at 3 oz. I have heard from a couple of hangers it is effective at supplementing bottom insulation. I'm curious about using this with my Exped Synmat UL pad.
    I have not although I've been considering something similar. I haven't found the Gossamer Gear size cuts to be what I'm looking for as the only wide one they offer is 1/4".

I don't think I'd get the type of wide coverage I'm looking for ordering the 1/8".

I have been looking at this brand based on Brandon at Warbonnets recommendation but they don't list weights and don't have 1/8" either.
    http://www.foambymail.com/MC2-/cross...-foam-2lb.html

The problem is the wide gossamer gear in 1/4" weighs the same as the multimat, has less r value, and is less versatile in my eyes. I'm sure I'll get something similar for the summer at some point, but I think I"m pretty happy with how the multimat is working currently.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by loghangin View Post
    First, I did some further testing and folded the multimat in half length wise. So it is the same width but half the length. It covers from my shoulders to just passed mid thigh. It doubles the insulation where I need it most (shoulders and hips) and makes it a bit more rigid (not rigid at all
    <snip>
    In my double layer hammock this set up does not shift at all.
    In my last use I folded it lengthwise into thirds, then inserted it across my shoulders in my double-layer hammock to supplement the SOL. Good down to ~35 degrees.
    Yeah, in general pads are a PITA in a single-layer hammock - much easier in a double.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I used my ridgerest multimat at 22 degrees last night for my first hang in the wilderness. Hanging is glorious and I'm pretty much fully converted at this point. I was also very pleased with how the pad system worked at those temps, as my back wasn't cold at all. My top insulation was a little light for the conditions (black MSS bag, supposedly rated at -10 degrees, but that is survival temp, and I have been struggling with it below 30. Top quilt or kifaru slick bag in my future for sure) so I was the slightest bit chilly, but still slept fine and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

It is dropping down to 9 degrees tonight and 4 tomorrow night so going to beef up the MSS with both bags and give a night on the deck a go if my girlfriend isn't too unhappy about it I will be thoroughly impressed if my bottom insulation set up gets the job done in these single digit temps, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have to recruit the insulated Static V to replace the ridgerest.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123