Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Urban Backyard Hanging advice...amazing MS paint pics inside!! ;)

Hi Ladies and Gents,

So I have been delivered a sweet looking WBBB XLC but unfortunately living in a city that is at the mercy of the snowpocalypse I won't be able to do any test hangs for another week or two. I'm working on finding or building a stand that would work both indoors and out, but in the meantime in looking at my back yard (if you can call it that) I may have found a temporary solution to do some testing.

The anchor points are a little further apart than is ideal at roughly 18-20 feet (getting higher than I could reach from the ground wont be a problem for either anchor) but my main concern is the gated window anchor, as the tree is sturdy and alive. Do you guys think this gate on the window can handle the hang? I assessed it briefly and shook it pretty hard and it is on there pretty well. No rattling at all.

See the pictures for reference:

Overall it seems a bit on the risky side but that is an incredibly uneducated opinion. So I defer to the good people here. Should I give it a try?

Thanks!
    Last edited by loghangin; 02-16-2014 at 14:20.

Suspension
    Slap straps
    I'm sure an more responsible person would come up with a way to test that gate, but I'd say try it and just make sure you have a safe place to land if it gives.

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hmmm, I'm perplexed. I don't know if the cage on the window is strong enough to hold you in a hammock but as a fireman I'd like to see it pulled off. Those things scare me. It cuts off a means of egress. Just don't get hurt in the process.

On another note, I made a turtle dog stand and love it. Give it a shot, I think you'll love it too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPoz0IiK5xU
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post
    I'm sure an more responsible person would come up with a way to test that gate, but I'd say try it and just make sure you have a safe place to land if it gives.
    Haha if it was my window I probably would have done it already, but we are the top two stories of a 3 story building and that cage is the back of a storefront. So I'm playing it safer than I would be if it were mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    Hmmm, I'm perplexed. I don't know if the cage on the window is strong enough to hold you in a hammock but as a fireman I'd like to see it pulled off. Those things scare me. It cuts off a means of egress. Just don't get hurt in the process.

On another note, I made a turtle dog stand and love it. Give it a shot, I think you'll love it too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPoz0IiK5xU
    Haha, well considering the replies have been something other than slam dunk yes responses, I'll probably just give it a pass based on the above reasoning. I'm sorry to disappoint the fireman in you

Thanks for the TDS recommendation. I have been considering building one but I'm not good at DIY and have basically been lazy. Maybe that is what I'll do with the rest of my day as opposed to trying to hang off of a building

Quote Originally Posted by loghangin View Post
    Haha if it was my window I probably would have done it already, but we are the top two stories of a 3 story building and that cage is the back of a storefront. So I'm playing it safer than I would be if it were mine.

Haha, well considering the replies have been something other than slam dunk yes responses, I'll probably just give it a pass based on the above reasoning. I'm sorry to disappoint the fireman in you

Thanks for the TDS recommendation. I have been considering building one but I'm not good at DIY and have basically been lazy. Maybe that is what I'll do with the rest of my day as opposed to trying to hang off of a building
    Can you see what holds the bars on? If you jut see screw heads in the corners its probably only plastic anchors. In which case it will totally hold you perfectly, 5 times.
    Probably easier to put a couple screws into a wooden stand like was linked to above then to fix the house after you rip this thing off.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by loghangin View Post
    ...Thanks for the TDS recommendation. I have been considering building one but I'm not good at DIY and have basically been lazy. Maybe that is what I'll do with the rest of my day as opposed to trying to hang off of a building
    Then build a turtleLADY stand. The legs are lashed together so you don't need to use tools other than scissors or a knife to cut the rope.

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    What about the deck above the window? It looks pretty sturdy. But if you really need a place to hang, build a turtle dog stand...
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    Can you see what holds the bars on? If you jut see screw heads in the corners its probably only plastic anchors. In which case it will totally hold you perfectly, 5 times.
    Probably easier to put a couple screws into a wooden stand like was linked to above then to fix the house after you rip this thing off.
    Yea it looks to be just screws. Thanks for the input. And yes the last part echoes my sentiment as well, not worth it. I was only interested in doing it if it was something that would obviously hold and I was silly for asking. Would prefer to take risks with my own property instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Then build a turtleLADY stand. The legs are lashed together so you don't need to use tools other than scissors or a knife to cut the rope.
    I will look into that, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a hammock lover View Post
    What about the deck above the window? It looks pretty sturdy. But if you really need a place to hang, build a turtle dog stand...
    The deck is very high off the ground. I have no doubt it will be sturdy, but as I understand it, anchoring one side at roughly 15 feet in the air on one side only wont work out too well for me. Especially when the anchors are 18 feet apart.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    MS paint for the win!

If you decide to use the window bars which IMO is not a good idea, tie a piece of rope to the deck above the window and let it hang vertically down to the window. Now, tie a horizontal piece of rope from the middle bar on the window to the rope connected to the deck. Tie your hammock to the point where this two ropes meet. It may be hard to understand without a picture but your hammock will be pulling this point both down and out away from the window. Using two anchor points means that some of your weight will be placed on the deck and just might save your window bars. But I think it is best to just build a quick stand.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    MS paint for the win!

If you decide to use the window bars which IMO is not a good idea, tie a piece of rope to the deck above the window and let it hang vertically down to the window. Now, tie a horizontal piece of rope from the middle bar on the window to the rope connected to the deck. Tie your hammock to the point where this two ropes meet. It may be hard to understand without a picture but your hammock will be pulling this point both down and out away from the window. Using two anchor points means that some of your weight will be placed on the deck and just might save your window bars. But I think it is best to just build a quick stand.
    You should have drawn diagram in paint so I could understand it better

Joking though, I understand the concept and appreciate you sharing it, but like you said, not worth the risk IMO. Turtledog or Turtlelady stand it is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast