Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blackbird and Tarp Size

I have already ordered my Blackbird and I am very anxious to use it on an upcoming hike in June. I'm trying to get all my material ready before the Blackbird arrives. One thing that I don't yet have is a tarp to go over the hammock.

I was wondering what size tarp you would recommend to cover the hammock. I have a 5'x8' silnylon pancho that I was thinking of using if it will cover the hammock, but I'm not sure it if is big enough.

If it isn't big enough I am going to try to make one out of some ripstop nylon that I got from Wal-Mart and seal it up with methods mentioned in another thread. I just want to know what some of the people who have been using a Blackbird think.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I don't think I would go smaller than a MacCat Standard (125" x 84"). The deluxe is perfect, by my standards (130"×104") - good coverage over the ends of the hammock and space to prop up the side to provide a "porch" to cook in.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe SUL
    Insulation
    JRB MWUQ3
    I use the MaCat Delux SpinnUL and find the extra coverage has been worth the few ounces in some pretty major rainstorms.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd suggest going no smaller that 125" for ridgeline length. My MacCat Deluxe at 130" gives good coverage and I wouldn't go too much shorter.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobear View Post
    I use the MaCat Delux SpinnUL and find the extra coverage has been worth the few ounces in some pretty major rainstorms.
    Have used the MC DeLux Spinn(MCDS) in some heavy downpours. Pitched properly it has kept me & the BB dry. I don't remember the wt of MCDS (~8oz?). Might be lighter than the std MC in silnylon. But I'm lusting for a slightly customized OES Spinn tarp that's a bit larger. Essentially a MCDS that has an end extended to create "doors". Basically a hex but with 3 tie outs per side with the middle tie placed ~1/3 way to the corner. Would be nice for cooler/windy trips & couple wet tropical trips on the "bucket list".
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Bigmambajamba is a great tarp-just ask for the panel pulls added as it is BIG! Your 5x8 may be good for shade over the hammock, but not for rain other than light no wind sprinkle.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseAmerican View Post
    Bigmambajamba is a great tarp-just ask for the panel pulls added as it is BIG! Your 5x8 may be good for shade over the hammock, but not for rain other than light no wind sprinkle.
    I'll second that. If you read my trip report, I took the Mambajamba into two nights of 50+mph gusts (one night was 60+ mph) and 8 minutes of quarter-sized hail. The thing was simply freaking awesome.

You need the panel pulls on a tarp that big, but be warned: you need to seam seal them. I didn't, and while it didn't get the hammock wet (they're too far out to get the hammock), I did have them drip on my back and head when I was standing under the tarp.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Spring, summer, fall; light and fast option is the JRB 8x8 tarp, 123 inch ridge line, 9.4 oz, easily covers and still provides full side wind protection for hammocks with 100-101 inch ridge lines.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've used em all!

Well, I haven't used a poncho. That's mostly because I like to stay dry. The BB is bigger than most hammocks, so the minimalist approach is difficult.

The Big Mambajama does make an awfully nice matched set, especially when it's covering a BB and Yeti.

I didn't believe the JRB 8x8 would work until I got a chance to try it; works fine.

Run, run, run away from the OES Micro. Otherwise, they all fit. My Spinn model is a Standard and does require attention when setting up; have to set my tarp before I start sipping. The Deluxe and up are basically no-brainers.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    yes, the micro is, well.... small. it should be labeled as a child's tarp. BUT: the spinnaker standard is a great tarp, id go with the deluxe if it rained more often 'round here. my spinn standard is 10.5oz with 4 ti skewer stakes, tensioners and guylines on niteize small figure 9's.

also to note that in heavy downpours it helps to stay dry by using drip strips of some fashion, shoelaces tied to the webbing works. Speer also sells a neat felt kit for cheap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast