Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

Big agnes as a tq?

I know many of us use mummy bags as a TQ. I currently use a alps 20 degree bag as a TQ. I just bought a BA 15 degree down mummy, but its a BA so it has the empty slot on the bottom. I understand I could DIY it into a TQ, but I am wondering with the extra room it has how bad would it be to just leave it and use it without a pad and have an UQ.

Anyone use the BA system in a hammock with or without the pad?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have always used my BA Encampment bag for a top quilt. I just zip it down to my knees and use it like a TQ, it works ok. I really want a dedicated TQ though and if the right one comes up on the forums I am going to pull the trigger on it.

On a side not I am a BA fan, I love their stuff and have quite a bit of it.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    I have always used my BA Encampment bag for a top quilt. I just zip it down to my knees and use it like a TQ, it works ok. I really want a dedicated TQ though and if the right one comes up on the forums I am going to pull the trigger on it.

On a side not I am a BA fan, I love their stuff and have quite a bit of it.
    Is it not good enough just to get into it? I would think that by using it like you stated you would have a hole in the insulation because there is no insulation on the bottom of the bag. In looking, yours is the same as mine but synthetic.

Hammock
    Warbonnet- BlackBird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet-SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ-HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    I have a 20 degree Zirkel, that I have used as a Top quilt (no mods) the excess bottom material just tucks on the side(and helps prevent drafts along that edge). I do not plan on cutting it due to it's value as a regular sleeping bag(w/pad).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I just tuck the bottom part off to the side and it works well. I've been down to the high 20's low 30's and was feeling really good. There are some things that are a pain like the top of it where your head comes out, it just doesn't fit exactly right.....it works but it was designed to be a sleeping bag and not a TQ. I am kind of tight in the bag so I have never tried to get into it in my hammock. I would think it would work though.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by just-bobby View Post
    I have a 20 degree Zirkel, that I have used as a Top quilt (no mods) the excess bottom material just tucks on the side(and helps prevent drafts along that edge). I do not plan on cutting it due to it's value as a regular sleeping bag(w/pad).
    I love the BA I even back to my tent dwelling days. Although I have yet to experience it I feel its a better system. I will be able to see it better when I get it. Thanks for the input.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    That's what I used before going to a TQ. They work great
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    So I got it today. Didnt have a lot of time to play, but its in good shape. It looks like there may have been a few cuts or wholes because it looks like some spots were stiched, but if you werent looking you wouldnt find them. None on the outside. I got in as a tq and could feel the zipper pretty good. I didnt adjust and would probably have it zipped up a few inches and move the zipper pull. I also got in and zipped the whole thing up and layed down. Its huge. Very roomy. Seems like I could use is it zipped and have room like a tq. I will see how hard it is to do that in the hammock. I love it so far.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I like this idea. My buddy just bought a BA about a week ago and he says so far he loves it. I didn't really like the idea of having a sleeve for a sleeping pad, but it would be really cool if it worked as a top quilt. Hope to hear about how it works out.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybakedhammock View Post
    I like this idea. My buddy just bought a BA about a week ago and he says so far he loves it. I didn't really like the idea of having a sleeve for a sleeping pad, but it would be really cool if it worked as a top quilt. Hope to hear about how it works out.
    i will be testing this weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast