Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

"Foam Foot Mitten" instead of CCF pad under feet

1) I don't like the traditional deal of having a short UQ with a small piece of Closed-Cell Foam (CCF) under one's feet. I've tried it, but found that it is somewhat awkward to ensure that the CCF stays in place under one's heels and between the right side of one's feet and the (cold) side of the hammock. In my experience, the CCF pad has moved around. Also, my heels prefer something softer than the relatively stiff CCF. I've tried it both outside and inside the TQ and don't really like the idea.

2) I've been using a (full-length) HG Incubator UQ, which largely makes the problem go away. But it seems awfully inefficient -- the overwhelming majority of all that wondrous down goes to waste -- it isn't used. AND I've occasionally had cold feet anyway!

3) OK, I got this idea from the BSA Fieldbook 3rd edition (1984), p. 78. Believe it or not, this book recommends that scouts manufacture their own sleeping bags out of Open Cell Polyurethane foam. Part of their recommendation is that you make a separate "foam foot mitten" out of that same foam and have it loose inside the sleeping bag to provide extra insulation for your feet.

I didn't manufacture my own foam sleeping bag, but I did decide to use the "Foam Foot Mitten" idea.

4) So I obtained some 2" thick Open-Cell Foam (OCF). It may be that 1" works fine -- don't know -- haven't tried it. The roll of OCF I obtained (from the "Hobby Lobby") was 2" x 27" x 76". It cost $35 + tax.

5) The BSA instructions suggest using foam with dimensions 1" x 14" x 30". A little math suggested that the BSA dimensions would make a cylinder with diameter 9.55". As I have huge size 12 feet, I wanted something bigger. So I used a circumference of 38" instead of 30". I cut a piece 38" long. Out of laziness, I didn't cut the length of the cylinder (i.e., it remains 27" long, instead of the BSA-recommended 14"). So the dimensions are 2" x 27" x 38".

The BSA instructions suggest using something like 3M adhesive to "butt-glue" the (27" long) edge, which would give a 27" long cylinder with a circumference of 38". For now, I chose not to do the gluing. I just put the foam into the foot-box of my TQ (i.e., so that it is a 27" long cylinder around my feet, calves, and knees).

6) So last night (low temp: +8F) I used this set up with a (3/4 length) 0F HammockGear Phoenix UQ and a 10F EE RevX TQ. My feet were VERY cozy!

Not only were my feet thermally comfy, but I really liked the "cushiness" under my heels and on the side of my right foot.

One unexpected, but delightful, effect was that the foam cushioned the calf-ridge nicely. No calf-ridge numbness!

7) I've only used this setup once so far, so obviously more testing is in order. But I'm really happy so far. The OCF would obviously be somewhat awkward for those who are backpacking. I'm a home hanger/car camper -- so bulkiness isn't really an issue.

I used 2" thick foam because I really wanted to be warm. It may be that 1" thick foam would have been similarly adequate. The 1" foam at Hobby Lobby costs about half as much.

I thought about trying to buy the foam online on Amazon, but wasn't sure about whether it was adequately cushy for my needs -- I felt it necessary to buy from a brick & mortar store so that I could feel it before buying.

If I cut the foam piece so that the cylinder wasn't 27" long, it would certainly be proportionately more compact. The feet would still be exactly as warm. But if you value the calf-ridge cushioning, you'd want to leave it pretty long.

I thought about getting a "hot-knife" of some sort to elegantly cut the foam. Instead did it with a utility knife supplemented by scissors. The cut isn't pretty, but it got the job done. I'd imagine that, if you wanted to glue the edge, you'd want a cleaner cut (i.e., a "hot-knife" might give better results).

Sorry -- no photos -- don't own a digital camera.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Interesting idea.

If not for the bulk (for backpacking), I bet two pieces glued on three sides would make a great foot pocket as well. I just might try this with Climashield!

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I have often wondered if OCF could not be used in some sort of under quilt fashion. The bulk could be over come with a compression sack.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Foam or felt boot liners can be worn. Very warm and reasonably packable. If you already own a pair, no cost. My big winter boots have the foam liners. I can wear them to bed (minus the boot of course) in winter conditions. The ever present boot condensation will dry out via body heat. The foam will loft and insulate. The foam booties sole does get compressed during the day (walking/standing), losing some insulation value. To counteract the compression issue, I use a standard ccf foam shoe insole/insert, readily purchased at the store or scavenged from other shoes. Wool insoles work well too.

End of seasons sales are just around the corner, a great time to stock up on boots/booties for cheap.

Or wool booties.

Wildcrafter-"can foam be used as uq?"
    Link to gallery pics

Castaway Pete made a DIY foam uq. No report of function/packabilty.

And Hennessy has been selling the Super Shelter for years. Same principle..open cell foam uq. But Hennessey's is a formed foam. Many folks here have the SS.

Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I made a reflectix footbox that goes inside my TQ. It also doubles as a sit pad. Keeps my feet nice and warm.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    OCF is used in some removable boot liners and other cold weather gear.

It does absorb and hold moisture but is easily dried also

The "foot box" should work well as long as "free air" space is filled

Gargoyle and I are thinking alike this morning
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post

Gargoyle and I are thinking alike this morning
    ...great minds...or fools?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Chameleon #8 '17
    Tarp
    Tarp got boo boo
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoops-n-Biners
    Second on the boot liners or was that 3rd? I have an old pair of Thinsulate liners. DIY is a blast but you could possibly find some boots in your local thrift stores on the super cheap, toss the boots and have more time for the outdoors. Not to mention save you money over the DIY materials.
    Sup?

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    yes I know about the super shelter being ocf that is what got me thinking about its use. I was more or less thinking out loud, as to why no one else has been playing with this material. It seems to me that you could put it in a compression sack and it would compress to a small size. I do know that its R value is slightly greater then half of ccf. The advantages over ccf is that its flexible and compress able. I think I may have to play with it once i get some time which wont be till may after the semester is over and my tutoring schedule slows down.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    Nice post altruistguy. Is anyone doing something similar with CCF pad material? Probably wouldn't be nearly as compressible or malleable, but could maybe skimp on thickness of foam (and price).

I also like the idea of thrifting for boot liners and/or using insoles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast