Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
    Hey! I didn't know they spoke southern in Colorado!
    I wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as soon as I could!

Age 1.5 - 13 were spent being raised as a Texan. Only flags flying in my basement (besides the HF flag) are the Culpeper Minutemen (Don't Tread On Me) and the Lone Star. Throw in 8 years in Kansas, a couple in Rhode Island (they have their own dictionary, seriously), ten in Florida, and a total of about 5 in Colorado. I can talk the talk anywhere except the upper midwest. I don't even do a good job of making fun of their dialect.

Finger blisters SUCK!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps and 'biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as soon as I could!
    I'm a bit of a transplant myself. Born in Connecticut, moved to New Jersey at about 6 months, then to Pennsylvania, and to Alabama at age 11. When I got to Alabama, I was quickly told the difference between a Yankee and a **** Yankee. A yankee comes south to visit. A **** yankee comes south to STAY!

One day I'll come up with a clever sig.

Hammock
    HH Ultra light
    Tarp
    stock tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomic
    Images
    ok so a little help. I ordered the JRB tension kit for my HHULB. I believe it is coming in the mail today. But so you put the ropes that have the tubing on them from the tarp to the stakes. Then what do you do with the other lines? tie them to the ridge line? Tie them to the tree? Can i tie it the ridge line and will it still keep enough tension?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Stumbled on this thread searching for something else and thought I'd add my two cents.

1 - No reason at all to avoid putting the tensioner right on the tarp line. That's how JRB's are, actually, and what I use more often now. My first DIY set was made that way to attach the HH tarp to the ridgeline, but it's already been pointed out that tensioners don't work well on the ridgelines. The system works much better with the standard lines on the tarp's ridgeline, then just use the tensioners on the ground-side tie-outs.

2 - Most people put the tensioner on the tarp tie-out and then use some kind of hitch on the stake. Sometimes I'll wrap the tensioner's loop around the stake, then attach the working end of the line to the tarp's tie-out with a double-slip-knot (like a trucker's hitch but using the tarp's tie-out instead of an inline loop...I'll try and get some pics up soon). And because of this, I was thinking about carrying ~3-4' lines for my tie-outs, with the tensioners permanently attached to the stakes...MUCH easier to manage during setup than 4 x 10' lengths. Then I'll have an extra few ~5' lengths in my pack for the rare cases when I need more line...I'll just tie the extra to the tensioner for that night and remove it in the morning.

Not sure how much this would really simplify things or if I'm just looking to change it for the sake of change.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Photos of JRB tensioner & MiniLoks on tarp

Enclosed are some photos of the JRB Tensioner and MiniLoks on a SWT. Sorry for the blurry images. ~8ft of line per tie out. Tied a loop instead of a knot at the MiniLock end to allow a short tie down. Set up allow ~8ft down to few inches of line. Also have been using MiniLocks at ridge line. Quick & easy even with cold fingers or minimal lighting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Noel V.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123