Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Find someone local to you and try both.. I have had quite a few hammocks the past couple years. HH, BB, Dream, Eno, ect.. and tried many many more.
    I came back to my Explorer.. I like it. HH works for me. If your worried find a local and try it. You really cant take someones word for it, your not them.

That's the truth. What has your kid been in so far and liked? Also how tall and heavy are you? these make big differences.
    Last edited by Gary_R; 02-19-2014 at 11:29.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I started with an HH Explorer. Had ZQ zipper mod #4 and it really made it nice. Then I got a WBBB Double. Love it as well and switch back and forth. Added a WB Super Fly to my kit. It really comes down to which one fells best. And for me that can change. There are features that each have that I like.

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packfan View Post
    So here's my questions: is the Hennessy a better bang for the buck?
    Does the Hennessy offer a winter cover? Pack size and weight isn't a big factor for me so I would also like to know about each company's rain fly. I want a big, all encompassing rain fly to ensure I stay dry. Should I stick with a warbonnet or Hennessy hammock depending on which one I buy or should I buy a 3rd party rainfly? I also eventually may buy an under quilt but we'll be doing more hot weather camping than cold weather. So ventilation and rain protection is a higher priority. Thanks ahead of time. This is an investment and I don't want to make a bad choice. I'm also going to buy my son one once I'm have tried my own out and he's tried mine out.
    Bang for buck...Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip, upgrade to the large Hex tarp free, yes you can add an over-cover $40. You will need insulation with either, but Hennessy has a special at the moment, half price Super Shelter insulation. And you get snake skins free. So you have a full rig incl. insulation for $340 plus shipping.

I have an Explorer Ultralite, and a BB SL 1.1, and lean toward the Explorer for comfort.

Thanks for all your help. Let me sleep on it for a few days and I'll let you know what I went with.

Hammock
    Dutchware half zipped
    Tarp
    Cheap Amazon speci
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UG
    Suspension
    Dutchware beetle b
    I will say I love my HH but I wish I would have upgraded to the hex tarp for free. I wasn't really thinking about not having a place to cook or sit if it is raining. Also, loved the idea of the bottom entry velcro on the HH but now that there is an option for a zippered hammock I feel like I missed out on that one. I don't have any experience from any of the other hammocks but I feel like for the price and what you can now get with the HH they are a good buy.

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    You might want to check out a Yukon Skeeter Hammock. Woot has them on special for about $30 with shipping on a regular basis. It would a great starter hammock until your son learns more about what gear he will want and or need.
    This. You won't find a cheaper netted hammock. It's short for a full grown adult, but I imagine your son is young enough to fit quite comfortably. Buy some Amsteel or Dynaglide and sit down with him to make some whoopie slings. Buy some tree straps from Dutch, he has a specially made webbing at a reasonable price.

One area not to skimp on is the tarp. This is your entire shelter. If you want a one-and-done tarp, get a Warbonnet Superfly. $130 for a silnylon tarp with doors - that thing is a palace, and he gets the benefit of having some WB gear to fit in with the rest of the troop (important for the younguns). You can always put a new hammock under this same tarp when he grows.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    I like my WBBB with SuperFly and wouldn't change it for anything out there. Never regretted it even once.
    "I'd rather rein in a bull than prod an ***."

Survival News Online
    The Truth About Liberty
    SNOmultimedia YouTube Channel

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have several different hammocks. The best bang for the buck, in my opinion, is the HH Explorer Delux Zip. Free upgrade to the Hex fly. I have used mine for about a year and have really enjoyed it. Hammocks are like a new car. A Ford is more economical than a Lincoln. Both do the same thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12