Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Hi Snowball....Keep us posted on your results. Also, any pictures with the latest mods would be great too. Thanks.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Just a FYI
    5 or 10 years ago, there was interest in the asymmetric cut effect on lie. . Several members prototyped the idea. I think the concept originated in the Hennessy use of the word "Asymmetric". "Hammock engineer" (who later turned into "Coffee") was active in this pursuit. Member "wilsomBMW", performed an autopsy on a Hennessy and found that the asymmetric cut was limited to the rain fly. I remember thinking "How bold to sacrifice a $200 hammock for the sake of knowledge".
    The concept of cutting the hammock itself that way died out later.
    Here's his gallery. the thread gets complicated to follow.https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...&imageuser=192
    grinder

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I was PMed by another member who found this thread after Snowball revived it, alerting me to the new activity. This is still very much an interest of mine. I am still extremely convinced that altering the direction of the cut that forms the channels impacts the lay of the hammock. Along the way, at least one member posited that it was likely the bias of the fabric, and I still politely disagree with that idea. I've submitted diagrams to illustrate how the parallelogram design will actually created a larger 'pocket' for the user's body. Additionally, my experience was that the edges at the head and foot placements were much more floppy than in a standard hammock. Almost too floppy, in fact, as Snowball seems to have found.

I have made a total of 3 parallelogram hammocks. I've heard feedback from two of the users that I sent them to, both of whom seemed to agree that it had a lot of potential. A lot has changed since I last made one. Namely, Dutchware now offers the Hexon fabric line, which might be well-suited for a project like this. Additionally, I had always wanted to try putting a bugnet on a parallelogram hammock, but never found the time.

One thing I did know was that the angle of the lay in the parallelogram hammock was more extreme than in a standard hammock. While this may not seem to be a big deal, it actually did have a rather great effect on being able to get an underquilt to align properly. I think that the greater the angle of the channel cuts, the more this may be a concern. My wife even started prototyping an underquilt suspension modification to make it work with this design, with limited success.

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone finds, particularly Snowball. If I find the time to pursue this design further, I'll let you all know!

Thanks,
    David
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    It’s not the last hammock I have made based on this shape! And yes this shape does make a difference VS. a rectangular standard hammock.
    My experience:
    The two sides and the center line has the same length but the diagonal measurements is different.
    The center line of the hammock is lifted up and the head and foot end is lowered. I think it compensate for some of the bias stretch the fabric has but it’s not all it does. I haven’t tried it but I doubt the result would be the same in polyester fabric but if somebody want to try please go ahead and let us know (it won’t be me).
    The longest diagonal is the lay direction.
    It does have a bit floppy sections but it’s very different than a normal hammock. Its only at the head and foot section.
    I have slept in it 4 nights last week and its one of the better hammocks I have made. I cannot sleep on my side in GE hammocks but I can in this one.
    Is it perfect, no its not but I am very hard to please and impress. Could it be better? IMO yes but for a first serious test with this shape I am impressed.
    Pictures, it looks like any other hammock and the mod like any other Knotty-mod. It’s how it feels that matters.
    As I wrote I made a variation of the Knotty-mod but with Dyneema whoopie slings but I think I will try to replace them with an original Knotty-mod (chock cord).
    Everything has a price and in this case it’s the chair mode. If it had a bug net it may be different but I will not add a bug net until I am satisfied and I doubt it will be on this hammock. The problem if I can call it that is there is very little back support. It is however a price I will pay any day for a batter lay. It could be fixed but it’s a different story.
    IMO the sweet spot is wider in this hammock but as for the diagonal direction it’s not much different than any other hammocks. I am sure it could be different if it was cut different (more aggressive).
    For reference I am just over 6 feet tall and about 190lbs.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I got my fabric shipment today so I had to verify the result of the first because it was redesigned and re-sewn and the sides was not parallel with the original edge.
    I made a last minute change on my drawing and at first I could see it wasn’t possible with the 4yd material but then I measured the fabric. Happy days and a shout-out to RSBTR because they delivered a bit more than the 4yd I ordered. Thanks BTW its standard HyperD 1.6 oz
    There is a difference when I compare them. Besides “Big blue” is a bit longer (11’) it’s a bit more firm (+) but the lay is also a bit more flat. My first impression its good but I haven’t tried it with a ridge line and I can’t hang it with the proper angles without it. Sadly I haven’t got any line so the last trim have to wait.
    I made the hems a bit wider so I can make a hidden Knotty-mod. I assume I will need it.
    The angle on the ends are 10°. Could be 8° or 9° would have been better but I won’t know for sure before I have a ridge line.
    As the other it is directional and I can’t change side in it without flipping it.
    It’s made with channels.
    The drawing is cutting dimensions.
    Big Blue.jpg
    IMG_20160224_200513.jpgIMG_20160224_200734.jpgIMG_20160224_200842.jpgIMG_20160224_200915.jpgIMG_20160224_201000.jpgIMG_20160224_201155.jpg
    Last edited by Snowball; 02-25-2016 at 10:13.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Glad your stuff came in. I put in an order for regular rip stop. Should be in tomorrow. Thanks for posting the results and pics. The rip stop is 1.9 oz.
    Last edited by wa4chq; 02-25-2016 at 10:56.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Those who have a hammock stand with a base!?!?(or wall to wall with 2ndary lower connection points)

Seeing the image of the u-bolt as as an end of the hammock (post #96) spurred an idea in my head. FOR DEVELOPEMENT PURPOSES What if.... (obvious safety concern)... one was to take say 10 to 12 feet of fabric (extra long hammock material length to start with although if said design were to shorten over all length (sub 9 feet) and weight?(less material in end result)), channel the ends, then split (or vise versa, split and then channel)(hot knife to seal edging might be beniefical) the width of the hammock end into say 5 to maybe 12 sections approximately 12 to 5 inches wide sections say 12 inches long (this depends on over all length variation of left side/center/right side of hammock) or split at an angle from side to side?

split.png

Feed these ends through a u-bolt or ring type suspension, then through the individual channels use say paracord in the individual channels and connect to bottom of stand (or lower wall point) to adjust individual sections tension.

Lay, adjust, lay, adjust, repeat as needed...

Each section could be tensioned seperately to give the desired flat lay at an extreme angle of lay. I believe thus leading something akin to an asemetrical catenary cut on the end of the hammock.

This would give unique results to relative user and materials used, but a data base could be compiled.

1)Ridge line distance (ring to ring distance; static for individual user)
    2)Hammock end length (longest material length due to sag under ring to ring length)
    3)Material stretch (poly vs nylon vs ???)
    4)User variables, height - weight - side sleeper...
    5), 6), 7)....
    Last edited by JRosiek; 02-25-2016 at 02:54.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Got some Nylon 1.6 on the way for a new backpacking hammock. I may investigate this cut with it. I'm trying to think through the implications of doing this on a narrower width, and how that might change the dynamics of the whole system.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I'm very interested in this design, as my only complaint with gathered end hammocks have been calf ridge, heel pressure, and knee extension. However, I'm already invested in a couple of underquilts that I'm concerned wouldn't fit properly. Snowball, have you done anything with fitting a 3/4 or full length rectangular underquilt to your design?

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch146 View Post
    I'm very interested in this design, as my only complaint with gathered end hammocks have been calf ridge, heel pressure, and knee extension. However, I'm already invested in a couple of underquilts that I'm concerned wouldn't fit properly. Snowball, have you done anything with fitting a 3/4 or full length rectangular underquilt to your design?
    We are not build the same way and are not sensitive to the same things so finding the perfect hammock is a personal thing and you have to do your own testing. My guess would be the hammock you are using is too short for you and or there is too much stretch in the fabric. Some people can be comfortable in a 9’ hammock and others need 13’ there is no way to tell you have to try it. In this forum there are people roughly the same size as me and they are fine in a 9’ hammock I wish but I am not.
    I cannot promise you this design will solve your problems.
    Regarding the underquilt I don’t think it matters much if its ¾ or full length as my UQ is but I don’t know. I have no experience with 3/4 UQ.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast