TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle

Question Draft collar on a TQ

I am just about ready to order a 20* TQ (maybe this Friday or definitely next Friday). Does anyone use a draft collar on a TQ? Do you find it worth it? I sleep cold.

Thanks for your insight!
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I have them on my uq and both sleeping bags I use as a tq. I would say they are vital. They really make a difference. A lot of the cottage venders have added them over the years.
    Which one are u buying? I may be close to purchasing one as well.

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    I am getting an Underground Quilt 20* Flight Jacket TQ. The draft collar is an extra with them. I may also get it overstuffed, that I am still trying to decide. I need to pull the trigger by next Friday because I will need for a trip on the first weekend of April when I will hopefully do my first hang. Or completely embarrass myself in front of cub scouts and their parents.
    I must mention that Paul and Missy have been extremely responsive to my multitude of noob TQ e-mail questions. So massive props to them.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I don't think any of my TQs have a draft collar. They all do have snaps to connect the top corners behind your neck and a draw string to snug them up. I have never even considered a draft collar for a TQ...UQ, yes.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I don't think any of my TQs have a draft collar. They all do have snaps to connect the top corners behind your neck and a draw string to snug them up. I have never even considered a draft collar for a TQ...UQ, yes.
    +1 to this. I have a nice ~20Deg TQ that I recently built, but never finished the snap tabs and draw cord. I really missed them on my last cold night. The cold air has a way of working its way down the space at the side of your neck/top of your shoulder(tarpezius). A draft collar might be nice, but I think you would still need a means to snug the TQ up and cover/close off this area in the colder temperatures.

FWIW,
    jason

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    That will probably fall into the "HYOH" category, meaning you gotta go with what's good for you. I have made several DIY TQs with draft guards and they seem to help, but I have not yet made any without one so I don't have that to refer to.

You might want to lay a sleeping bag up near your neck just as it is then tape a 3 - 4" strip of fabric to the top of the bag and try it again and see how you like it. You might also want to try the same test for the sides. A draft guard will save a little weight because it has no insulation and is really meant to keep breezes at bay but if it feels awkward maybe it's not right for you. There is always the "order it with the draft guard and if you don't like it, cut it off" theory...
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    @MMM

I have a couple of sleeping bags with them, they have never been a problem for me. But thanks for the solution.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    We have added a few draft collars to Top Quilts by request, I'm unaware of any vendor offering them in their base quilt pricing. Our Under Quilts do include draft collars as standard equipment. I personally have not seen a need for a draft collar on any of my TQ's that I use but do not see any issue with adding one.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I guess without having a true tq I could be wrong. For me with a sleeping bag as a tq I can fold it back using the draft collar to continue to hold the heat in.

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Taco&quot; Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    That's the way mine works. It's plenty warm like that. I do wear a hat to bed, and I have this "thing" that covers my neck, head, and part of my face. Hard to describe, like a balaclava but with a big opening for the face, but with a pull string so I can tighten it down so only my nose sticks out.

With that, my knit hat, and my TQ, I've not run into anything too cold. I'm more likely to get CBS than have a draft problem on top.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast