Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I prefer to show up a few days early and solo until late afternoon the day of a group event. That makes it a little easier, the next morning, dawdling around a bit, before having to head out and back to civi.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    At the ones I have been to, we just mostly sit around and tell lies.... er, I mean, um interesting stories.
    All my stories are true!

Now that would be an interesting competition - best storytelling. I have one about Dos Tacos that I would submit in the right company!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    I've been to exactly two group hangs last year. You get what you put into it at a group hang. I think OutandBack had the best advice. Put it together and see what happens. You don't have to lead, just facilitate. It will be a hit for some, a miss for others, but either way, you took a shot.

I have hammocks in common with everyone at a group hang. Other than that we discover our common interests and differences and gel from there. I don't expect to have life long friendships with every single person I meet at a group hang. I figure I'm fortunate if I meet one maybe two people I want to and can keep in touch with as time marches on.

They're still a gas. Looking forward to my next opportunity.

I love hangs. Small group and large group. Mostly it is meeting new folks and seeing old friends made at previous hangs. Seeing gear I haven't had a chance to see before and showing some of my gear to someone who is interested in it is nice too. Watching all the different displays of stoves, pots, and camp cooking skills is always fun. That there will be someone there who has a new take on an old idea is a given, and whether good or not it is fun to see and talk about. Sharing stories of past hangs/hikes, dreaming/planning of future hangs/hikes, sure is a nice way to spend some time. Who knows, you might forget your cook pot and have to look for someone who is willing to lend you theirs and in the doing come to appreciate them as a friend even more, I know that this happened to me one time. Oh yes, this is a hang, and while many enjoy the campfire at night, I always manage to quietly disappear before too long as I have a hammock hanging somewhere out there and it is calling out to me to come and rest my weary bones. Oh yes, I do love a hang.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Me, I like to walk a little, maybe fish, nap, eat, nap, bs around the fire, sleep, wake, eat, nap, walk, nap, eat, sleep. If I get in some reading, it's a bonus.

If I happen to be sleeping/napping through a food event, I appreciate when fellow hangers wake me, you know like at the various Pine Barrens Hangs.
    From what I've seen, you would be a prohibitive favorite in any competitive napping contest!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I think some type of hammock athletics could be fun. Maybe taking a couple different type of suspensions, hammock or tarp, and seeing which one is quicker to set up. Since that is always a discussed subject it could prove educational as well as entertaining.

If you come to any of the North Ga hangs there is always a group tour of homes on Saturday mornings after breakfast. It's cool going around seeing everyone's setup and having them explain things.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    All my stories are true!

Now that would be an interesting competition - best storytelling. I have one about Dos Tacos that I would submit in the right company!
    I think that story has already been submitted and WON!!
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    From what I've seen, you would be a prohibitive favorite in any competitive napping contest!
    Ratdog would be no match for my wife NyQuil.. Her first night out in a hammock she clocked 12+ hours.. or at least he would not be without competition.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    I'm not a fan of the competitive camping idea - trying to be the fastest usually means making mistakes that either damage your gear or endanger safety, and weight of equipment would largely be a competition of who spent the most money on their kit.

Rather, if you want competition, have it be in things unrelated to the camping, like beanbags or ultimate frisbee. You could still have structure around hammocking, with a group tour around to everyone's hang where each person explains their setup, and short demos of certain skills, but don't make it competitive.

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    The competitive Hammock Games idea might be fun at a big group hang (like annual state hangs) on a Saturday afternoon. Although, if there is a fastest set-up competition, there needs to be categories like "non-hardware" and "hardware." I'm thankful and glad that some cottage vendors donate items for raffles at big hangs. Kudos to Paul and Missy (UGQ) for traveling great distances to spend time with fellow hangers and customers in person.

On the other hand, most of the hangs I've been too (even the bigger ones) are mostly an opportunity to get out in the woods, talk some gear (hammocks, stoves, packs, camp chairs, knives, etc.), eat some great food, tell some goods stories, laugh hard at some jokes, get some exercise from the hike in/out, eat some more tasty food, learn some bushcraft, talk about the latest Shug video, conspire game plans and rationals to get our wives/girlfriends to get into hammock camping, regretting what you forgot at home "this time"...getting over it quickly because of some more great food, etc. Quite frankly, that's what I love about the group of "regulars" that I've gotten to know over the last year and a half or so.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast