Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

2014 2nd Colorado Winter Hang- Mt Evans, Colorado

Feb 14,15,& 16th
    7 brave soles took the drive up hwy 103 to the Mt Evans campground for a little hanging in the snow at 11,000ft.

Forum members in attendance were:
    flexytoy, LanceHawk, OutandBack, RkyMtnChkwgn, trailryder42, waddy and grandson.

When I arrived a 1PM Friday afternoon the sky was blue and the temp was hovering around freezing.
    There were snow drifts everywhere some 10' deep.
    In the woods the snow was 3'-6' feet everywhere.
    Props to the MN FBH video TR for showing the snowshoe trail making tip.
    It was fresh in my mind and I did the same thing and it worked out great.

Even temps were not bad, Fri 26F Sat 27F, but we had some high winds.
    Up at the parking lot in the open I measured 12-16mph steady winds with big gusts I did not measure.
    Down at my hammock in the trees it was 3-6mph.

Saturday several guys took a snowshoe trek into the Mt Evans Wilderness area.
    Distances traveled by their discriptions were from 6 to 15 miles round trip.

Saturday night we had a group meal of camp made beef stew provided by waddy with
    flexytoy providing buttered french bread, flexytoy, LanceHawk, & RkyMtnChkwgn also
    brought deserts of cookies and brownies.
    I hope I got all the credits right.
    Sorry there are no pictures of this wonderful meal.
    I have a mental picture of 7 guys faces lit by a roaring fire, not saying a thing and eating with great vigor.
    I never once though to get the camera out. Sorry folks for a brief second we forgot about our friends on HF
    and were just wrapped up in the moment.

My kit this trip was a TtTTG 12x10 syl tarp, BMBH-UL hammock, modified WB spindrift sock,
    WL custom full down UQ (rating sub 0), WL 20F TQ.

So here is my first attempt of a Trip Report music video.
    picts in the video were supplied by flexytoy, OutandBack, trailryder42 & waddy.

I hope others from the group will post with their stories and any pict or videos I may have missed.

Thanks again everyone for making the effort to come join us and I hope I got all the credits right.
    I'm an old man and my memory isn't the only thing that doesn't work very well these days :-)
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-20-2014 at 15:14.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Awesome. Which I could have been there.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Looks like a great time. Thanks for putting the video together.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images

Exclamation A Campfire Rumination

Our entire group was very fortunate to once again have happily missed a deadly encounter with the seldom seen and never photographed Mountain Snow Snake. For those hangers who have never heard of the existence of this terrifying creature, I will hereby enlighten you toward the dangers of this terrifying reptile. Being solid white, it is nearly impossible to see, with the exception of its glowing red eyes. These eyes are used as bait by the snake to lure the unsuspecting victim close enough to strike; they look like two little red-hot candies lying in the snow. Fortunately, there are several very good preventative elixirs that serve to guard against this hideous apparition. My preference is Jamison, though any of the good Bourbons and blends will serve as well. These potions are very important for the older campers, as they tend to move slow enough for the snow snake to easily catch. Any youngsters in the group are generally quite safe, as they are bounding about in the deep snow so rapidly the sluggish Snow Snake can not catch them. The libations must be used cautiously though. Applied too liberally and the camper may be reduced to a stupor and fall into a snow drift. He is then said to be "quite drifty"! If his fellow campers rescue this poor hapless wretch, and place him in his hammock, he will usually recover fully, albeit slowly, all the while emitting loud groans and noxious odors. I respectfully submit this valuable bit of information for the enlightenment of my fellow hangers.
    Last edited by waddy; 02-20-2014 at 17:59. Reason: Language person
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    WBBB - Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ & OQ

hang

This is the first hang that I have been to. I finally was able to meet a few others that are as crazy as myself, one even drove from TX to hang in the snow. After talking to everyone it sounds like I will be trying to make more of these hangs in the future. I am looking forward to hanging and riding mountain bikes also. Thanks for everyone that attended, as for everyone else....... you missed out . Great bunch of guys.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Looks like a great trip. That pavilion came in real handy I'm sure. Nice job on the video, OutandBack! Thank you for sharing with us.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Pheonix
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Outstanding! I enjoyed the pix and video!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Looks like a nice trip. Thanks for sharing.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Took me a while but I finally figured out Movie Maker and how to make a soundtrack. Lots of pictures you've seen already but this is my compilation of them.

I had a great time. Glad I had a few fellows to snowshoe with me, don't get to do that very often.

Thanks to Waddy for bringing the stew, Mark for the brownies and Chuck for the cookies. And to all you guys that brought firewood too.

I learned a few winter techniques for anchoring tarp guylines when the ground is as hard as stone, Thanks Bob. With the high winds we had Friday night and the popping my tarp was doing, I thought for sure one or more of my guyline anchors had come loose, but the morning revealed they were all still fine.

You guys should have seen the work that Chuck put into his site. I bet he spent 3 hours on it, but it was awesome, complete with string of led lighting.

Met a few new guys. Found out that Mark and I are both trailbike riders, both have XR400s and a long list of injuries from riding over the years.

Lance, I hope you didn't come down with the headcold from hell when you got home. With you running around all day Saturday with no head covering, I was thinking you were going to pay for it later.

Hope we can all get together during the summer.

http://youtu.be/DEqPFNqdxUg
    Last edited by trailryder42; 02-26-2014 at 19:12.

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    Looks like a nice trip and good trip report OutandBack. I like this quote....."Sorry there are no pictures of this wonderful meal.
    I have a mental picture of 7 guys faces lit by a roaring fire, not saying a thing and eating with great vigor.
    I never once though to get the camera out. Sorry folks for a brief second we forgot about our friends on HF
    and were just wrapped up in the moment."
    Ever notice how it always gets quiet at eating time around a campfire? I saw where Waddy said "no snow snakes" and that's always good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast