New Ridgerunner! Pad + Underquilt?

So I am new to hammocks and backpacking. I recently received my first hammock, a WBRR, and am considering underquilt /pad options. I live in GA and plan on hiking the GA section of the AT in mid April. So far I have slept in the hammock for 5 nights indoors. I like the idea of a three season underquilt, but also like the comfort of a pad. Using a 25" pad feels like I have more shoulder room. Are there any pads that are breathable so I don't have to deal with condensation, while I rely on the quilt for warmth.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    All pads are vapor barriers. In very cold weather this may be a good thing( especially when used in conjunction with a UQ) to help prevent loss of loft due to condensation inside the uq.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Pad = condensation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogg View Post
    ... I like the idea of a three season underquilt, but also like the comfort of a pad. Using a 25" pad feels like I have more shoulder room. Are there any pads that are breathable so I don't have to deal with condensation, while I rely on the quilt for warmth.
    I also like the opened up feel a 25" pad gives my WBRR but I don't like the slightly damp back when dressed lightly. I usually just use an UQ and find that I am most comfortable very slightly shifted towards my side.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner; Chameleon
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I sometimes use an ensolite pad or a Thermarest mattress in a fleece sack which seems to work well. Have not had any issues with condensation down to around 28 degrees. Used with a 15 degr LLBean Down bag, unzipped and used as an over quilt. Not Perfect, but it I haven't gotten cold or wet yet.

Thanks all. I am sleeping outside tonight for the first time. Haven't received my underquilt yet, so we will see how it goes with a pad. Read somewhere to stay away from wearing cotton while sleeping on a pad, so will do.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I never experienced any condensation with a pad, but I was using a downmat in the RR.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

My one and so far only time to use a pad in a hammock overnight resulted in so much condensation that it pooled up on the pad. My sleeping bag got a big wet spot. I at first thought that I had wet the bed but all my clothes were bone dry. I found it hard to believe. That was many years ago in one of those fish net type hammocks that sold for a couple of bucks and a thermarest pad. Since then there is no temptation, period.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    one advantage to a pad/UQ combo (if you can get it to work for you) is you would have the option to going to ground if you needed to. (cant really do that well with just an UQ!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Another benefit of a pad.... no need for an underquilt protector/bottom wind sock.

I use an 25" wide exped synmat UL7 for my ridgerunner, and I love it. Had it down to 25F with no problems.

• + New Posts