Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I have been thinking that I may want to create a wider cuben fiber tarp, and doing it with one full width section in the middle and other full width sections attached appeals to me. I'm not sure I really need one, so I've held off, but your project inspires more thought! Thanks.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm tj View Post
    yeah and I am a perfectionist...that is part of the problem
    It's a blessing and curse !

Quote Originally Posted by kerryandjane View Post
    Handsome looking tarp my friend! I've just finished a 11' x 10' tarp.... I know how much time and effort went in well done. Have a cup of water on me!

Im in the middle of my 2nd now and I've started to smooth out an issue I had that shows up in one photo of yours "puckering". To fix adjust thread tension and slightly pulling the fabric through the machine. Worked for me.
    If you're worried about strength put some shock cord tarp tensioners on there to give it a little give.... It makes a nice tight tarp too. What's your ridgeline made of?
    The puckering on this one was purely down to speed, just a rush job. I spent about an hour and £2 on it.

The ridge-line is just the centre portion off of the roll of rip-stop, it doesn't contain anything!? If I'm following what your saying correctly, I can post pictures if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Good job, looks like the DIY bug has bitten you
    Don't I know it, I'm selling some off as its gotten ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    I have been thinking that I may want to create a wider cuben fiber tarp, and doing it with one full width section in the middle and other full width sections attached appeals to me. I'm not sure I really need one, so I've held off, but your project inspires more thought! Thanks.
    I've not so much as seen a cuben fibre in the flesh but it doesn't stretch so I think it would actually be much more suited to this kind of construction than what mine is (I'm still not sure !). It would create a seam free opaque window, which would be fun.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Some using Cuben fiber claim the double sided cuben fiber tape offers a better bond than sewing. I'm not sure that I've seen anyone building one more than two panel widths wide, but I'd like too. Like I said, I really enjoy my HG with the longer ridge line, but might like it wider. There are no coverage issues, but sometimes a bit wider allows for a higher ridge line, wider stake out and overall more roomy feel inside.

I'm sure some of the four season cuben tarps are made of multiple panel widths. I should check a few out and let the hamsters in my head run on their exercise wheel a bit.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Well I made mk2 of this tarp;

Made using 1.4oz silnylon, 282 guetermann thread, 25mm grosgrain

I added extra re-enforcement to the ridgeline corners (pseudo ridgeline) to this one. The ridgeline is 11' and just over 9' wide and weighs in at 300g (10.5 oz) with the shockcord, lines and mini carabiners attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    Well I made mk2 of this tarp;

Made using 1.4oz silnylon, 282 guetermann thread, 25mm grosgrain

I added extra re-enforcement to the ridgeline corners (pseudo ridgeline) to this one. The ridgeline is 11' and just over 9' wide and weighs in at 300g (10.5 oz) with the shockcord, lines and mini carabiners attached.
    Looks great. My silnylon is currently in transit. I was planning on doing almost this same catcut design with two seams rather than the more traditional single ridgeline seam. Any gotchas or tips for someone doing his first tarp?

Hammock
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    The major issue with two seams is getting them matched up, if the sewing machine tension is out it can end up shrinking one side. It's probably best to sew the panels before cutting the shape / cat cuts so that a shift of an inch or two can be cut away. Other than that it's fairly straightforward and much the same as a standard hex.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    The major issue with two seams is getting them matched up, if the sewing machine tension is out it can end up shrinking one side. It's probably best to sew the panels before cutting the shape / cat cuts so that a shift of an inch or two can be cut away. Other than that it's fairly straightforward and much the same as a standard hex.
    I know exactly what you mean. When I got to the end of my tarp one side was about 3/4 of an inch longer. I looked at and though. "I know I measured these the same lenght."

I like the hex.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrm tj View Post
    yeah and I am a perfectionist...that is part of the problem
    It's a blessing and curse !
    I've got that blessing, my wife hates it sometimes.

couldnt one sew a big tube basically 2 layers on the outer side just like you would a hammock. not finish the ends. then center the flat double layer tarp then cut down the center of one side and mark the one side not cut? then roll hem the cut side? thinking that would be the easiest way to get the sides even. even before cutting down the length you could cut the shape from the ends.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Pen- I think they ment that when sewing the hem that they measured a say 20" hem, but that one piece was stretched or relaxed as the hem was sewn. This created an uneven hem with one piece 3/4 short.

Scotty that is a a narrow side portion for a hex or is this an illusion of the angle of the picture. I think I like a wider side panel ie RL=11' the bottom of side panel is 9'. This gives a 12" or 1' step in on each side for the hex shape.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast