Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images

VIDEO: DIY Peapod and Anorak test

Hey guys!

This could've been posted in either the top or bottom insulation sections, but I decided here since both of these items are DIY. I basically just converted a Canadian army down sleeping bag (the inner bag of the system), into a peapod for cold weather hammocking.

This test was only with the peapod, as it was very warm outside. The second thing I tested was a DIY Anorak made out of a French military 95% wool blanket. I was able to score the sleeping bag for 50$ and the blanket for 25$ at my local Surplus store, so very pleased about that

Hope you enjoy this short(ish) Video!

Feel free to ask any questions

The anorak was made using this template, found on bladeforums and Pintrest:
    Last edited by UpMySleeves; 02-22-2014 at 22:09.
    "Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up and snow is exhilarating. There is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." -John Ruskin

Blog:
    http://FourSeasonsOfQuebec.blogspot.ca/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I've gotta say - your Anorak is giving me pangs of jealousy.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    work in progress
    Nicely done. I've been looking at making a peaopod for a while. I've seen others with shock cord through the hood of the bad to keep it up- seems like a good idea.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ben

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

peapod

Thanks for the video, lots of good ideas going there. Please post your future outing, and how it all works for you.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Thanks for the video, lots of good ideas going there. Please post your future outing, and how it all works for you.
    I will definately make a video out of it! I'm planning a trip in March, so I hope the nights stay chilly

Quote Originally Posted by photosenior View Post
    Nicely done. I've been looking at making a peaopod for a while. I've seen others with shock cord through the hood of the bad to keep it up- seems like a good idea.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ben
    The shock cord is indeed a good idea. It was floppy at first but when I got in it, especially with the underquilt protector, it didn't sag as much. I'll make use of the many tie-outs on the bag for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I've gotta say - your Anorak is giving me pangs of jealousy.

I know what you feel! I saw a few videos of HikingDad, Shug and others with Anoraks in winter and really wanted to make one. I'm not much of a DIYer but my friend did a great job.
    "Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up and snow is exhilarating. There is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." -John Ruskin

Blog:

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks for the video,

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Good ideas and nice DIY approach to pull it all together. Thanks for sharing.
    That Anorak is real nice:>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice job.
    Love the anorak. The pattern seems easy..hopefully it works for a XXXL anorak. (might need two blankets?)

Pod- I suspend my pod systems like a uq (shockcord at the head and foot ends, to the hammock suspension). It works the best, IME. The pod can drape on your chest better, vs. being held aloft via the rl. The uq style suspension holds the pod when unzipped, for entry/exit, and eliminates a need for a rl. Then zip it up, as needed. Warm system. Some find a small quilt inside the pod adds warmth across the chest/stomach area where the pod is held up because of the hammock sides. Even a jacket can reduce any drafts.
    I hate velcro. It seems to come undone at bad times. Try a channel with shockcord/cordlocks for the end.
    Plus I hate hear "riiipppppp" in the middle of the night, if I turn/toss in the hammock. No hammocker wants to hear that.

Thanks for taking us along.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Good ideas and nice DIY approach to pull it all together. Thanks for sharing.
    That Anorak is real nice:>)

Thanks :-) I didn't do much to the peapod to be honest, and the anorak was made by a friend, but I was inspired by many threads on this forum and I'm glad it worked out!
    Last edited by UpMySleeves; 02-23-2014 at 09:51.

Blog:

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Nice job.
    Love the anorak. The pattern seems easy..hopefully it works for a XXXL anorak. (might need two blankets?)

Pod- I suspend my pod systems like a uq (shockcord at the head and foot ends, to the hammock suspension). It works the best, IME. The pod can drape on your chest better, vs. being held aloft via the rl. The uq style suspension holds the pod when unzipped, for entry/exit, and eliminates a need for a rl. Then zip it up, as needed. Warm system. Some find a small quilt inside the pod adds warmth across the chest/stomach area where the pod is held up because of the hammock sides. Even a jacket can reduce any drafts.
    I hate velcro. It seems to come undone at bad times. Try a channel with shockcord/cordlocks for the end.
    Plus I hate hear "riiipppppp" in the middle of the night, if I turn/toss in the hammock. No hammocker wants to hear that.

Thanks for taking us along.
    Yes I'm not a big guy, so for the Anorak I suggest using two blankets! The French army blanket I used was smaller than the US ones, so even for my size, I didn't have enough for a hood. Will probably add that later on.

Thanks for the suggestions on the Pod. This was my first test and learned a lot. Sticky velcro doesn't work in cold haha. I will probably try a channel at the end. I will also try shockcord as it's a cheap solution to sag. Fortunately, the use of an UQP helps with that.

Thanks again for the comments, it's appreciated!

Blog:

• + New Posts