Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing

Turtle dog stand help.

Hello fellow dwellers of the trees!
    I know that many of you are knowledgeable on the art of "turtle dogging". I've seen many of these built, and most people use bamboo, and lash it together. I however had an interesting thought this morning. What if you took 2x4s and cut the ends at a 45* angle, and attach a hinge right below it. This would allow the stand to collapse down, and hinge back up, while looking very professional, and put an "I bolt" in it, and put some rubber on the bottom of the feet, you could put it on wood floors. But then came "the predicament". How would I attach the third 2x4? I considered drilling holes in each of the 2x4s and putting a 7" bolt through it, but the bolts would be too far apart for the 2x4, unless I put them in a place that might compromise the structural integrity. Does anyone have an Idea on how I would attach it?
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a hammock lover View Post
    ...I know that many of you are knowledgeable on the art of "turtle dogging". I've seen many of these built, and most people use bamboo, and lash it together. I however had an interesting thought this morning. What if you took 2x4s and cut the ends at a 45* angle, and attach a hinge right below it....
    You seem to have missed an important detail of the turtledog stand.

The turtlelady stand is lashed while the turtledog stand is hinged.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    hammock lover, I read your post quite a few times to grasp your concept and I believe there may be some merit but a lot of that depends on my interpretation. First I'm seeing 2 2x4s with 45 degree cuts on the long side, 4", of the 2x4s with a flat hinge joining them just below the shoulder of the angled cuts allowing the 2 beveled cuts to meet when opened. This is similar to hppyfngy's angled cuts on the 2x2 meeting together when opened. Though a 45 degree cut will result in an extreme spread at the base of the two legs, feet not inches. Then we come to how the 3rd or outer leg would attach. Cut the 3rd leg to the desired angle and place against the 2 hinged legs. Eyeball just how far you would have to drill thru the 2 hinged side legs... Nope need to step back and rethink this. What my mental though would work, won't. Wrapping my thoughts around a verbal and trying to convert to a visual and reconvert to a verbal is taxing, especially after a weekend hanging with friends. Keep thinking about it friend and I will. Right now I just see binding movements that would have to be overcome.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You seem to have missed an important detail of the turtledog stand.

The turtlelady stand is lashed while the turtledog stand is hinged.
    Thank you! I had no idea! I guess there's always much more to be learned in the art of hammocking.
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    hammock lover, I read your post quite a few times to grasp your concept and I believe there may be some merit but a lot of that depends on my interpretation. First I'm seeing 2 2x4s with 45 degree cuts on the long side, 4", of the 2x4s with a flat hinge joining them just below the shoulder of the angled cuts allowing the 2 beveled cuts to meet when opened. This is similar to hppyfngy's angled cuts on the 2x2 meeting together when opened. Though a 45 degree cut will result in an extreme spread at the base of the two legs, feet not inches. Then we come to how the 3rd or outer leg would attach. Cut the 3rd leg to the desired angle and place against the 2 hinged legs. Eyeball just how far you would have to drill thru the 2 hinged side legs... Nope need to step back and rethink this. What my mental though would work, won't. Wrapping my thoughts around a verbal and trying to convert to a visual and reconvert to a verbal is taxing, especially after a weekend hanging with friends. Keep thinking about it friend and I will. Right now I just see binding movements that would have to be overcome.
    I actually was thinking about that last night, that two 45* angles makes a 90*, an that's just ridiculous. it is a predicament. I did however make a "turtle lady" stand yesterday out of some 3" diameter maples(We have plenty, don't fret yet tree huggers.), and lashed it with 6 ply haystring. I do need to add the horizontal bar soon, and try it out. Thank you though, I will continue to do some mental math...
    Jonah,

-Yoni Netanyahu

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    I built mine using 2x3's and gate hinges. The gate hinges are 8" with 3 holes on the post side and 2 on the gate side. The gate side is triangular in shape. I went for about a 75 degree angle with a poly rope thru the legs to control the spread. I bought a can of plastic dip to put on the end of the legs but haven't done this yet. HTH.

• + New Posts