Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

SC/Palmetto State Hangers Turkey Creek Backpacking Trip

I made mention a few weeks ago on Facebook that I'd like to get into backpacking. It's no secret that I'm out of shape at 385lbs and my recent weight loss (to GET to 385) had me inspired to get out and be more active. After having mentioned my desire, JunebugDawn took it upon herself to organize a "short" backpacking trip along the Turkey Creek portion of Turkey/Wine Creek trail in Sumter National Forest near McCormick/Edgefield.

The intention was to do a five mile hike from the midpoint of the trail at Key Bridge and go south until we hit our intended camping area, camp for the night, and hike back out.

True to form, we all met up at the side of the road at Key Bridge. Thanks to SecretPrez, I got a new pack to replace my old ALICE pack that I'd been using and switched out. The luggage scale JunebugDawn brought weighed my final pack weight at 28lbs - respectable, I guess, for somebody who hasn't been backpacking since he was a Boy Scout some 15+ years ago. After a quick group photo (I have no photos of my own - I was doing well to carry 28lbs...more weight for a camera be damned) we hit the trail at around 10:00 am. Some were slower than others, some more experienced than others, but we made a pretty good pace with a few breaks and made it to camp around 2:00 after hiking about 4 miles. I'd (surprisingly) broken ahead of the pack and made it another half mile and stopped at what I figured was a nice spot to camp before SecretPrez showed up and informed me that everybody'd decided to set camp a half mile back.

Having done my 5 miles quite by accident, I pitched my hammock and tarp and collapsed with all the grace I could muster (which was very little) and relaxed for a few minutes before nomming on some Mountain House and sitting around the fire with the rest of the group. Sleep came early after some Vitamin I (Ibuprofen) and I got up the next morning knowing I had that hellish march back out of there. After packing my gear, having a Mountain House breakfast, and helping douse the fire my friend and I said our goodbyes and headed back out onto the trail.

We took a few breaks, but in the end we made it back to the car (though for both of us, it was ALL we could do).

I dropped him off at his house, came on home to my house, kissed Sequel, kissed SWMBO, curled up on the floor, tried not to cry, then cried a lot. Except not that - I did the first two, took a shower, and typed this.

Lessons learned:
    5 miles sucks. 5 miles with 28lbs sucks harder.
    Start investing in down gear. I hear it's lighter.
    Don't get ahead of the group - you'll end up doing a mile more than you have to.
    Water is valuable...especially when you have a tendency to guzzle.
    Every step you take on the way in is going to feel like 2 steps you have to take out. Plan accordingly.
    Ibuprofen is TRULY a gift from the gods. Apply liberally.
    Nothing tastes as good as a Double Whopper with a sweet tea big enough to swim in after two days of hiking.
    It's possible to lose 3lbs in 2 days. I would know at this point.

Thanks to JunebugDawn for setting this up (I thought you were my friend. Instead of setting this death march, you should have talked me out of it), IT_Mike for bringing the base camp filter, and SecretPrez for hooking me up with the new pack...and of course thanks to everybody who came. It sucked tremendously, but it's an experience nobody can ever take away from me and something I'll never regret having done.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch/Dynaglide
    Glad you had fun.

Pudden and I always hit the Waffle House after a hike.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    My friend Matt and I found out that there's nothing resembling a chain restaurant in Edgefield, Johnston, Wade, nor Ridge Spring. We finally jumped on I-20 and stopped in Gilbert for Burger King.

We smelled like bridge-dwelling hobos.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1
    Suspension
    whoopies
    You have certainly learned some of the best lessons already! I like moving fast and I always end up going an extra few miles.(Usually to come back to the group and help carry their packs and such). Water is very valuable depending on your hike and where you can refill. I hiked the grand canyon one time and man did it suck because there was no place to refill water for 8 miles. And it was summer...But backpacking is amazing and it isn't always about how fast you are going. You burn a whole lot of calories just being outside and moving around so don't be afraid to slow down and take it all in. Keep up the good work!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Good start...now repeat every week and stop going to BK.

Junebug...be sure to slip some rocks in Gresh's pack when he is not looking
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    If I could get away from Sequel every weekend without feeling like a horrible dad, I really think I would (though maybe 3 miles). I really think I bit off a LITTLE more than I could chew - I don't want to have to crawl back to the car next time.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Don't buy upgrades, hike up grades! You said it yourself that you are motivated to keep dropping weight so just keep enjoying the hike and dont worry about buying new down gear. 28lbs is a great weight if food amd fuel is included.

Thanks for the story, I enjoyed it!
    Last edited by Refreshing; 02-23-2014 at 20:27.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Great job Gresh, as long as you are enjoying it that is what counts. You earned that BK that day.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Gresh did great this weekend.

One key point for you, hike at your own pace. Choose any waypoints ahead of time and set the target hang site, then hike with others who move at your pace.

Hurrying to keep up or dragging your feet to keep pace with slower hikers wears you out quick.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    The saying of "Hike your own hike" does not work if you are married. In my case it is always "Hike her hike" but always a great time.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast