Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Sounds good, if you want to pm me your email adress I will send you the trip plan with maps. It looks to me like we either camp at mile 2, there is an established site in a pine grove (plenty of trees), or we camp at mile 6 in the connector trail. I am sure there are a few places in between, but not on the maps. I am a little concerned about making the mile 6 camp, especially since there are rock outcroppings/caves to view on the hike and I do not want to rush against daylight. I will send you all the maps and then we can call/talk.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I have Monday off also if we need want to stretch things out.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    You can put me down as tentative for this trip. Still working out getting some time off.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Is the intent to hike the whole double loop? My understanding is that's 9.8 for AFT, 2.6 for the NCT connector, and 10.6 for the SRT+RLT for a total of 23 miles. BPO says it's between 9 to 13 total hiking hours. Given we have 2 1/2 days that's just a tad more than 9 miles a day or 5 hours of hiking. That seems doable to me.

Here's a plan. I'm certainly open to suggestions. I'm not an experienced backpacker and my plans usually go awry.

Since we're all arriving at different times, we'll meet not at the trail head but at the first camp site.

Friday we start at the AFT trail head and hike counter-clockwise to the NCT connector. Then 2 miles south on the connector to the second little valley:

Saturday we hike the whole SRT+RLT loop and then camp at the same spot that night. That's a long 11 mile day. As quoted earlier, BPO says that due to "excellent trail conditions and smartly designed switchbacks, the SRT/RLT loop can be completed as a day hike by many hikers."

Sunday we hike back north on the NCT connector to the AFT and continue counter-clockwise back to the trail head. That should be around 7 - 8 miles.

I can't take Monday off, so I'd like to wrap up and be home Sunday night. How does this plan fit with those who are confirmed to go?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Sounds good to me, we can leave our hammocks hung and some gear there so the day hike will be very doable. I may not make the camp site Friday night since it is 6 miles in, but I will try. I should be there by 5:00, so 6 miles in 2 hours is doable, but we will see. If not I will leave at sunrise and catch you guys at the campsite before you head out. This should be a fun trip.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    This seems fine to me. I have friends that are doing the AFT the weekend before us. A few people did a scouting trip and said they encountered more switchbacks than are on the map, so miles may very.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I am just happy to hear the word switchback used when describing a trail in Ohio!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Got this off naturalbornhikers.com web site. Thought it may be some good info to know if you didn't already...

The official trail, blazed by white diamonds with blue discs in the center, begins about a tenth of a mile from the cemetery—walk downhill along an old township road to reach the formal path. Much to the chagrin of hikers, the aforementioned blazes also mark side trails—a brilliant move on the Wayne National Forest’s part. Thanks to this annoyance, it is easy to get off on the wrong trail, but the mistake is usually noticed quickly—just retrace your steps back to the Archers Fork Trail and continue on your way—hopefully in the right direction.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Hey, Kia if you were prepping for the AT the PUDS of ooooOHHhhiiIOooo would be perfect.
    I agree that trail design/selection in Ohio is not ideal, but it does beat a 5+ hour drive to somewhere else.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I do think that on Thursday 3/27 we need a hey I'm going post so that we can get a head count for Saturday. I support the HYOH and that everyone is responsible for themselves on this trip. If we have an idea of those that are going to meet for the Saturday loop hike it would be nice. We might need a general start time so for anyone catching up that had to camp short of the "main" camping spot. This way they know when to get there if they want to join. The is also a relatively remote area so if anyone says they are going we can help keep track of each other for safety. Also if you say you're going but then can't make it post that also. So we don't send back a rescue team for a NoShow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast