Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member onfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    125

    Help - DIY Hammock Sock shape

    Hi all,

    I need some help ... but I have a trade! I found the following S 'biners at my local military shop (in the UK) which, at 5.50 seems to be a pretty cheap source of S biners ... available on Amazon and all other good stores :-) I have bought two and now have more S biners than I can find uses for http://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-KeyRack.asp

    So, my needs ... I am about to make a Gore-Tex (or similar) hammock sock. The design features are beginning to spiral out of control the more I think about it so I need to get cracking and do it before it turns into a beast! I want a tube with shockcord / toggles on each end so that I can vent / adjust it around the hammock suspension but I am also now considering a single zip for entry (running parallel to the floor for two-thirds of the length of the sock ... then I thought about a pull out above the zip so it could be staked out to enjoy the view in 'porch mode' ...

    I am ready to begin but cannot think in 3D ... I intend to use two pieces of material stitched together (with two seams, sealed, on the final product) and know that I need to trim some material from the corners to reduce flappage and waste weight ... do I:

    1. find the middle of the long side and cut straight lines to remove the corners and make a broad diamond shape
    2. draw a curve on both edges of each piece of material to make a rugby ball shape?
    3. leave one long side of each piece straight but curve the other long edge to remove the corners?

    Does anyone have a template that would make this easier for me please?

    Thanks, Tim

  2. #2
    Senior Member Refreshing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chaska, MN
    Hammock
    Bat Hammock (Mosquito Hammocks)
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    Hi all,

    I need some help ... but I have a trade! I found the following S 'biners at my local military shop (in the UK) which, at 5.50 seems to be a pretty cheap source of S biners ... available on Amazon and all other good stores :-) I have bought two and now have more S biners than I can find uses for http://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-KeyRack.asp

    So, my needs ... I am about to make a Gore-Tex (or similar) hammock sock. The design features are beginning to spiral out of control the more I think about it so I need to get cracking and do it before it turns into a beast! I want a tube with shockcord / toggles on each end so that I can vent / adjust it around the hammock suspension but I am also now considering a single zip for entry (running parallel to the floor for two-thirds of the length of the sock ... then I thought about a pull out above the zip so it could be staked out to enjoy the view in 'porch mode' ...

    I am ready to begin but cannot think in 3D ... I intend to use two pieces of material stitched together (with two seams, sealed, on the final product) and know that I need to trim some material from the corners to reduce flappage and waste weight ... do I:

    1. find the middle of the long side and cut straight lines to remove the corners and make a broad diamond shape
    2. draw a curve on both edges of each piece of material to make a rugby ball shape?
    3. leave one long side of each piece straight but curve the other long edge to remove the corners?

    Does anyone have a template that would make this easier for me please?

    Thanks, Tim
    When I made my first tarp sock I draped the material over my hammock ridgeline and put ~100 lbs of stuff in the hammock to mimmick my body.

    I then clamped the material at the bottom. One clamp up at the foot end and a second clamp down at the lowest point. Mark these two points. I then layed the material out and drew a straight line between these two points, cut, and sewed the bottom together.

    Remember, you want the head end to have the same size opening as the middle of the sock because you will need to push and pull it down that far to enter your hammock.
    v
    v

    TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

  3. #3
    Senior Member onfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    125
    Thank you - I had completely forgotten that the head end needs to be a complete tube to allow entry ... I nearly ploughed straight in and cut an oval!

    So, the top can be a straight line (which will sit on my ridge line) and the bottom (foot end) will be shaped to avoid excess material. I had it in my head that the shape would need to be symmetrical so that the tube could rotate (as my current BCUK Snugpak cocoon sleeping bag does while I move in my sleep) ... of course, the sock should be looser and will stay in one place

  4. #4
    Senior Member Refreshing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chaska, MN
    Hammock
    Bat Hammock (Mosquito Hammocks)
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    Thank you - I had completely forgotten that the head end needs to be a complete tube to allow entry ... I nearly ploughed straight in and cut an oval!
    No problem. Trust me, I almost did the same thing. I had my scissors in hand ready to cut and then it hit me.

    You are correct though in that cutting off any excess material is necessary. Less weight and less flapping in the wind.

    Make sure to post when you are finished! I would love to know how a goretex sock works out for you. I am interested in weight, price, and how humid it gets inside.
    v
    v

    TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    When I made my first tarp sock I draped the material over my hammock ridgeline and put ~100 lbs of stuff in the hammock to mimmick my body.

    I then clamped the material at the bottom. One clamp up at the foot end and a second clamp down at the lowest point. Mark these two points. I then layed the material out and drew a straight line between these two points, cut, and sewed the bottom together.

    Remember, you want the head end to have the same size opening as the middle of the sock because you will need to push and pull it down that far to enter your hammock.

    This is also a pretty good guide (I think it's exactly the same thing Refreshing said, just with videos)

    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=33714
    and this
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=45922

  6. #6
    Senior Member onfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    125
    Thank you both ... now I just need to decide if it will be a sealed tube with cinch closures or whether to sew a zip entry into the side as I am doing the seams (should be easy enough if I overlap the materials to create a storm flap and enable me to seam seal the rest of the seam.

    It is more weight and bulk but I hope the side entry would ventilate a bit better and provide better access to stove etc in wet weather.

    ... but now I wonder about a zip in each side so I have the choice of which side to get in / out ... so many choices lol

  7. #7
    SnrMoment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Streamline
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    1,159
    A simple fleece sock:





    Tapered end is 8" with snap closures.
    Head end is 54", but the opening is 36"/side with a shock cord closure. Easy to stretch and slide down for ventilation and I had to leave it open a crack at -7*f.
    Just shape the taper to fit your body. The 54" depth was about 6 ft long, then tapered up to the 8".
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Refreshing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chaska, MN
    Hammock
    Bat Hammock (Mosquito Hammocks)
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    M.H. Ultralamina
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    ... so many choices lol
    I TOTALLY HEAR YOU! I have so many drawings made up for the silnylon/mesh sock I will be making soon. If I was camping close to the ground and was using a two point hammock like you I would definitely do a zipper because you won't have to roll down the sock in rainy weather. IF you used a zipper you could then also make the tarpsock symmetrical (small opening and head and foot) which would likely cut down on more weight than a zipper adds. You would just unzip, put hammock in, thread each end out of the tarp and BOOM you are done.

    I hope that made sense.
    v
    v

    TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

  9. #9
    Senior Member onfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    125
    I think we have a winning idea ... now for the design - I will upload before committing to it!

  10. #10
    Senior Member onfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    125
    Snr Moment - thanks for posting the images of your sock, it is very helpful to see it in 3D. I have a merkalon (fleece) sleeping bag liner which I might trial in the same way.

    The idea of a breathable sock has me thinking now - perhaps I should incorporate a mesh strip along the bottom of the goretex sock so that any leaks / condensation can run down the sides and out of the bottom rather than gathering as a puddle

Similar Threads

  1. Your favorite hammock cut-out shape, dimensions, design mods BEFORE sewing
    By patrick_the_fat in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2015, 20:27
  2. Hammock Sock ala Fronkey - Or, there's a hole in my sock!
    By SnrMoment in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 17:28
  3. asym hammock dimensions/shape?
    By stevebo in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 20:55
  4. Hammock End Shape
    By nothermark in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 11:09
  5. Homemade Asym Hammock with a Trapezoidal shape
    By Coffee in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 10:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •