Hammock
    DH Tbird
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    whoopie!!!
    Here's what Randy responded to me if it helps.....

"As far as the hammock itself.
    - Double layer makes it MUCH easier to sleep on a pad. They tend to squirt out from under you in a single layer hammock,

- Once you reach the point of having enough fabric under you for safety and good support, more or thicker fabric doesn't help much. I list comfort ratings rather than weight capacity because I'm more interested in what fabric will give you a solid, flat lay. I'm 265lbs and I can lay (uncomfortably) in a single layer 1.1oz hammock. It holds my weight, but is obviously, not enough fabric for me.

- At 175lbs, you could actually get away with as little as a single layer 1.1oz. The 1.8oz Taffeta would give you a nice flat and solid feeling hammock. If you decided on a double layer, you may consider a DL 1.1oz because the heavier fabrics would kinda be wasted weight for you.

My 1.8oz Olive taffeta is a high count fabric, meaning it's built with a higher number of individual fibers. It has a softer, smoother feel and I like it quite a bit. You can see some photos of this fabric holding my 265lbs on this page of my website.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/Darien.html The (guy) in the Olive hammock is me. You can imagine the support you'd get with a hammock made from this stuff."

Hopefully, this helps you out a bit. Again, he's (Randy) is super responsive just ask away!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    KAQ Summer
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    hutzelbein,

Man you had me excited with your idea so I emailed Randy whether he would make a double layer hammock using the Argon fabric on Dutch's website. Randy's response below shows the demand for his quality work and how busy he is right now. Maybe in the future he will carry this fabric. Meanwhile my personal debate for my next hammock fabric versus single or double layer will continue...

Jack,
    I've never had the opportunity to use any of the Argon fabric, but I know that it's available through Dutchware Gear here.
    http://dutchwaregear.com/diy-stuff/
    I'm afraid with my order backlog at an all time high and my turn around now at 6 weeks, I can't take the time to do a custom fabric like this because I'm unfamiliar with how it handles and the time that it might required to use it.
    Thanks
    Randy

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Ah, what a pity, but it's understandable. I'm hoping that Randy will offer Argon or another really light weight fabric in the future. Although I can't imagine that the waiting list will get any shorter; quite the contrary...

If this is any help, I currently own a Roaming Gnome and a Dangerbird, both 1.1oz double layered, both 11' / 60". The RG weighs 738g complete, the DB 974g - so it's not that bad.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Another thought: you could always contact another hammock maker and ask if they would do you a custom hammock. Hammeck is quite new, so maybe they still have capacities and are willing to use a custom fabric? I have not yet seen or used one of their hammocks, so can't give any more details.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12