Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex tarp

Bike tourist exploring hammocks

Hello all,

I'm just getting into bicycle touring, having completed a couple overnight rides of 150mi. I was packed pretty light for both of these rides as I had booked a hotel room for the overnight stay.

I'm now looking at my first extended tour, four days down the Great Allegheny Passage in May. Clearly hotel stays drive up the cost of touring and limit flexibility when considering where and when to stop.

Tents are the obvious first choice as an alternative but a friend (and fellow Hammock Forums member, dougalcorn) suggested I look into hammocks. I like the weight savings of hammocks over tents but I'm concerned about having to go to ground, which seems like it would be required on relatively rare occasions. Also, I'd be interested to hear about the acceptance of hammocking in Europe as I hope to tour the UK, Ireland and the Continent within a few years.

Thanks for reading and happy trails!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I think on the East Coast you will have no problem hanging your hammock, except some campgrounds. Not sure about Europe, love the idea of hammock camping over there though. Good luck to you, I'd much rather camp with a hammock than a tent. Just my $.02.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'm doing the GAP/C&O trail in early May and I plan to hammock the whole way.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Here's a interesting/funny blog from a hammock hanging cyclist as he works his way across Europe.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Hammocks haven't been a problem for me touring down here in Florida. On the other hand, I tend to plan my tours around my stops in the evening rather than the other way 'round.

Something that can be done for those rare occasions when you might have to go to ground is to carry a very lightweight groundsheet (this can double as your off-bike rain gear as a poncho and triple as an undercover to help shed rain, allowing a smaller tarp to be used; personally, I like a windshirt for when I'm actually on the bike) to place under the hammock and use the hammock as a bivvy sack. Your bike can act as the upright to keep the head-end guylines up (both your hammock suspension and your tarp), providing the necessary space in the bivvy for you.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

not to sure about the UK and hammocking, this is my trip last summer in upper NY state. This summer it will be Cape Breton Island. I don't know if you really save that much weight, I guess you might, by the time you add an under quilt, top quilt a larger tarp than mine in the pics. I will weigh my tent camping rig and my hammock rig and report on the difference. Even if the hammock was heavier it would be worth it just for the great rest one gets in it.

Last edited by rofo; 02-26-2014 at 10:43.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by rofo View Post
    not to sure about the UK and hammocking, this is my trip last summer in upper NY state. This summer it will be Cape Breton Island. I don't know if you really save that much weight, I guess you might, by the time you add an under quilt, top quilt a larger tarp than mine in the pics. I will weigh my tent camping rig and my hammock rig and report on the difference. Even if the hammock was heavier it would be worth it just for the great rest one gets in it.

Cape Breton is very nice. I like to do the highlands in the fall.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Interesting article by our own dejoha on the topic of weight savings tent vs. hammock.

I would assume the difficulty in hammock camping and bike touring would be at designated campgrounds and finding two suitable trees.

Other than that, I'd say it would be the same hammocking as it would be tenting.

Bring a 3/4 length CCF pad for the random nights you may need to go to ground if it is a huge concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Interesting article by our own dejoha on the topic of weight savings tent vs. hammock.

I would assume the difficulty in hammock camping and bike touring would be at designated campgrounds and finding two suitable trees.
    I was a little worried staying in the NY state parks. You are not permitted to tie anything to a tree, I thought I might get busted. No one said anything to me about it.

weight report

Cycling tent weight 4.68kg.
    consisting of:
    tent (MEC Tarn 2)
    tent poles
    ground sheet
    sleeping pad (inflatable)
    sleeping bag 7*

Cycling hammock weight 3.75kg
    consisting of:
    hammock and strap suspension
    hammock hex tarp
    under quilt 3/4 length 4*
    top quilt -6*
    under quilt cover

Pictured below is my 1st night stuck between a hydro pole and a fence pole.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast