Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    I would add the corollary to MrClean's advice, you don't need to be faster than the bear, just faster than your partner, so hide one of his boots after he falls asleep.
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    used blue tarp
    Insulation
    Cheap Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1"Web Bckle Amstel
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    The important thing to do in bear country is to take a single serving bag of Doritos with you. Right before you get into your hammock open the bag and throw it under your buddies hammock.

You just need a head start, you don't have to be fastest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    I think MrClean's advice is the best so far.
    haha, good stuff.

Anybody had encounters with wolves at all? we just had our first/second hunting season on them, so they are around.
    "There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection"
    "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "I have never found time spent amongst nature to be a waste of time"
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Adventure may hurt, but monotony will kill you"
    "I yearn for a place untouched by man" <-- Best describes me

Hammock
    Dutchware half zipped
    Tarp
    Cheap Amazon speci
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UG
    Suspension
    Dutchware beetle b
    Ha yeah MrCleans advice is the best. My freinds son asked if they had really seen black bear in our area here in SC and I told him yeah a few. He asked what we should do if we see one. I told him all I had to do was out run him. He didn't like that answer too much lol.

Really no matter what kind of critter it is, you're not likely to even notice it was there until you wake up to find the contents of your pack scattered, food bag shredded etc.

Most important thing to remember is that toothpaste, candy bars, bits of cloth with meat juices, dishes and even cutlery need to go in the bear bag/barrel along with the food--and certainly not be kept in the hammock with you or in your pack (unless you want to risk having it shredded).

I really like my bear can, even though it weighs a couple pounds. It's so much easier to deal with than hanging bags--plus you can use it as a table/stool and use the lid as a plate.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post

I really like my bear can, even though it weighs a couple pounds. It's so much easier to deal with than hanging bags--plus you can use it as a table/stool and use the lid as a plate.
    Glad to hear that someone else thinks that the can is easier than hanging.

I found a youtube video of an easy way to open my bearvault - use a credit card or id card to slide between the latch and the catch - while you turn the lid...way easier to do than to try to turn the darn lid while you're pushing in on the catch....particularly for my weak arthritic old hands!

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Glad to hear that someone else thinks that the can is easier than hanging.

I found a youtube video of an easy way to open my bearvault - use a credit card or id card to slide between the latch and the catch - while you turn the lid...way easier to do than to try to turn the darn lid while you're pushing in on the catch....particularly for my weak arthritic old hands!
    Interesting, I'll have to try that. Yeah, they're definitely boarderline human proof too. I use a BIC lighter to open mine, but it's still tough--especially when it's below freezing out.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Lots of bears in northern lower Michigan where I paddle. Only had one encounter. Banged a metal pan and bear ran away fast. I feel fortunate to see them. They are not acclimated to people where I go. Big advantage. I worry more about racoons, mice and porcupines. They have no fear.

Proper sanitation is the key. Also, the more people there are where we are at least, the less likely to encounter them. Usually, the only times they encounter humans is when they are hunted. I have been canoe camping in that area for nearly 25 years and never had a problem.

As far as hanging goes, I like to use a diamond rainfly so I can see. I feel safer in a hammock because I can make visual contact with my surrounds so much easier than when in a tent. In a tent, all I could do was guess what might be out there, with a hammock I can see and evaluate.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    The good news is that you can use bear spray very easily from inside your hammock as opposed to from inside a tent.

Don't see too much of black bears where I go.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Dutch
    I've been really close to black bears more than once and we both just froze and stared. The dogs have treed a lot of cubs in my parents back yard in VA...that's a little scary. They've treed grow bears as well. Get a bear bell and some mace and don't clean any fish at your site. They love fish.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs &amp; whoopie
    A lot of the area where I hike requires a bear can so I have got in the habit of carrying one. Mine weighs 2 lbs. 9 oz. but it stores all my food (even for a 9 day trip) and becomes a convenient seat for campfires. On shorter hikes I store my cook kit in it to save room in the pack. Like the others mentioned, having all items with a scent in it at night will prevent nearly all of your problems and if you are still unsure, use Mr. Clean's suggestion. I've come across a few bears on the trail and only a couple have ever come into camp, but a group has a way of discouraging bear traffic also. Like others said though, if the bear wants something, they are going to get it, tent, hammock or locked camper shell.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast